Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Guy

unit2431

Im due to receive an insurance payout ,a year after some guy totaled my Mk2 MR2 by being on the wrong side on the road,ive decided upon a Yaris due to Toyota reliability and the cheap run costs of the Yaris,im aiming for a car i can run for as many years as poss

I will have around 5k-6k with my old banger Saab as a trade in,which will be better for a long term prospect petrol or diesel?

Thanks for your time and input

BTW im i correct in thinking a diesel is group 3 ins and £35 tax and a petrol is group 2 and £125 tax?

Yaris cross the borders of tax. mine, 1.3l auto is £140 a year, a 1.0l manual will be £115 a year. As for diesel, I think they are still £115 and up, the Aygo comes in at £35 a year for some (Not sure if all) Models, Prius £15 (Same as a moped.... go figure). :unsure:

As for petrol or diesel, I think it is a personal thing. Diesels last well, if looked after, MOT's are strict so services are advised. Modern petrol engines, again, if looked after will last well too. Diesels do better gas-miles but it costs more per gallon then petrol so a few mpg extra is not a great saving but many new diesels are turbo so pull well at motorway speeds (40-70).

Gonna have to be your call as to what suits you better. Yaris' did drop quite slowly in value but there are a lot of them now and the newer ones tends to make the older ones lose more resale value. This is true of almost every car/motorcycle, etc. :angry:

BTW im i correct in thinking a diesel is group 3 ins and £35 tax and a petrol is group 2 and £125 tax?

Yaris cross the borders of tax. mine, 1.3l auto is £140 a year, a 1.0l manual will be £115 a year. As for diesel, I think they are still £115 and up, the Aygo comes in at £35 a year for some (Not sure if all) Models, Prius £15 (Same as a moped.... go figure). :unsure:

As for petrol or diesel, I think it is a personal thing. Diesels last well, if looked after, MOT's are strict so services are advised. Modern petrol engines, again, if looked after will last well too. Diesels do better gas-miles but it costs more per gallon then petrol so a few mpg extra is not a great saving but many new diesels are turbo so pull well at motorway speeds (40-70).

Gonna have to be your call as to what suits you better. Yaris' did drop quite slowly in value but there are a lot of them now and the newer ones tends to make the older ones lose more resale value. This is true of almost every car/motorcycle, etc. :angry:

No, the diesel Yaris is a band B car emitting less than 120g/km, hence £35 a year road tax.

Regarding fuel economy, my 1.4 diesel has averaged 52mpg over the last 5,000 miles. The 1.0 petrol I test drove was sluggish as hell, and looked good for about 40mpg in the real world. However, the 1.4 diesel is actually quicker than the 1.3, which would give you maybe 35mpg if you drove it carefully. The diesel is definately the one to go for if you do the miles to negate the addiotnal purchase cost, which will be offset by lower running costs.

The Aygo is only available with the 1.0 litre 3 cylinder and is classed as band B, but the same engine in the Yaris (a heavier car) becomes a band C engine.

Look for a year old T3 (comes with air con amongst other mid range comforts), you should be able to pick up a good deal. Personally I'd only have a new one. My 07 TR (a T3 with alloys and fogs) worked out great value new at £9750 with the help of www.broadspeed.com car broker website, which I used as a haggling tool at the dealership.

Firstly thank you for your replies ;)

I did consider an Aygo so cheap to run but the whole Citroen/Peugeot thing made me think of corners being cut and it not being a true Toyota,also its a little more restricted on the interior room for my needs

Im not sure my 5-6k budget will run to a T3 but im after as lower mileage as poss for my bucks (deffo a diesel now ,you've convincedme)as i plan this to be my new car then my run about and still be on the road 12-15 years time,i intend to look after the care very well(my mr2 had 160 on the clock and drove like it had 25k)

AlexM How do you find living with the diesel? does it have enough torque and off the acceleration?

Thanks again for the replys

Firstly thank you for your replies ;)

I did consider an Aygo so cheap to run but the whole Citroen/Peugeot thing made me think of corners being cut and it not being a true Toyota,also its a little more restricted on the interior room for my needs

Im not sure my 5-6k budget will run to a T3 but im after as lower mileage as poss for my bucks (deffo a diesel now ,you've convincedme)as i plan this to be my new car then my run about and still be on the road 12-15 years time,i intend to look after the care very well(my mr2 had 160 on the clock and drove like it had 25k)

AlexM How do you find living with the diesel? does it have enough torque and off the acceleration?

Thanks again for the replys

Yeah, I find my D4D very torquey once you get used to it. It has very little power those few hundred rpm before the turbo, but then it comes in abundance. Providing you lay on a little revs (maybe 2000 rpm) before you lift off you can accellerate from a standing start impressively, not that you need to in normal day to day driving. I think the 0-60 time is around 10.5 seconds? Not bad for a small diesel. My D4D replaced a 1.8 petrol Mondeo, and I wouldn't go back to petrol again unless I was after a V6/V8 sports car. The only real downside is the need to work the gearbox to drive it fast, keeping it in the optimal rev range between 2.5k and 4k ish.

What kind of driving do you do? I ask since I find it most efficient between 35 and 45 mph in 5th gear. The computer will easily hit the 99.9 mpg limit. In fact, the previous D4D yaris holds the fuel economy record of something like 125mpg (obviously in a very controlled environment). Above 70mph, the car could do with a 6th gear to keep the economy figures high but I don't find this a major issue. 80mph will still give you about 40 - 45 mpg. I recently drove to Newcastle and back fairly swiftly (700 mile round trip) and still got around 50mpg, the variable speed limits and traffic actually helped the fuel economy lol.

Oh yeah, I agree about the Aygo. The exterior is great but the interior is truly awful. Maybe something you could live with short term, but no, I don't think it would last more than 3 years!

AlexM thanks mate

What kind of driving do you do? well around the city day to day but the odd long run at weekends,it sounds just perfect for my needs,my previous car was a diesel and id prefer one over a petrol

Any down sides to a Yaris diesel? oh and are the early diesels also turbo?

thanks

Also Can anyone tell me the best Diesel to go for regarding specs,thanks(or if you know a site with full spec list,that will be great)

thanks

Also Can anyone tell me the best Diesel to go for regarding specs,thanks(or if you know a site with full spec list,that will be great)

thanks

The previous shape Yaris was a 75hp diesel, but is also lighter and a touch more fuel efficient than the new one. The new shape is a 90hp model. Both have turbos, they are the same engine I believe, but have a different setup. You can chip / remap the 90hp model to 109hp, but I don't see the point right now.

To be honest, in this segment, there is very little choice if you want a reliable, cheap, refined car. The VAG line up in this price range offers the Fabia, Ibizia, and Polo. The Fabia 1.4 diesel I drove with a friend over the weekend was dire, the Ibiza and Polo are due to be replaced and the Polo Bluemotion which on paper has amazing fuel economy apparently isn't that great in real life, and very expensive.

Next you've got Vauxhall and Ford / Corsa and Fiesta. The new Corsa has good reviews, but your price range won't stretch to a new model. The old model I drove a couple of years ago was abysmal in almost every way. The fiesta isn't a bad car, but is due to be replaced next year and I don't think they do a band B diesel / one as efficient as the Yaris.

Then your left with the french variants, C1, C2, Pugs and Clio. I wouldn't touch em.

Unless you can blow the bank and get the brilliant 2007 model BMW 118d (in my opinion) which is also suprisingly band B due to some new engine technology BMW have introduced, you don't have a huge amount of choice.

Check out parkers.co.uk and manufacturers websites for specifications, and go and test drive plenty of cars to see what you like. I've no doubt you'll end up with a Yaris diesel.

Downsides? They aren't as cheap as the competition and the used prices remain strong, this is also a plus side really. That and there are some rattly ones about I suppose. Some of the dealers aren't brilliant contrary to popular belief, so pick with care when it comes to servicing. We've had Toyotas for years, and the local garages have gradually got worse. I travelled 50 miles to buy my car, and will probably travel further for servicing. Thats about it though really!

No, the diesel Yaris is a band B car emitting less than 120g/km, hence £35 a year road tax.

Regarding fuel economy, my 1.4 diesel has averaged 52mpg over the last 5,000 miles. The 1.0 petrol I test drove was sluggish as hell, and looked good for about 40mpg in the real world. However, the 1.4 diesel is actually quicker than the 1.3, which would give you maybe 35mpg if you drove it carefully. The diesel is definately the one to go for if you do the miles to negate the addiotnal purchase cost, which will be offset by lower running costs.

The Aygo is only available with the 1.0 litre 3 cylinder and is classed as band B, but the same engine in the Yaris (a heavier car) becomes a band C engine.

Look for a year old T3 (comes with air con amongst other mid range comforts), you should be able to pick up a good deal. Personally I'd only have a new one. My 07 TR (a T3 with alloys and fogs) worked out great value new at £9750 with the help of www.broadspeed.com car broker website, which I used as a haggling tool at the dealership.

Not bad then! Mind, what will the government do when we are all driving £35 a year tax bracket cars, that get lots of miles to a gallon? What am I saying... They are already going through the process of road pricing, paying to go in cities etc.

It's only a matter of time when they will try to charge us just for thinking about going for a drive!

Not bad then! Mind, what will the government do when we are all driving £35 a year tax bracket cars, that get lots of miles to a gallon? What am I saying... They are already going through the process of road pricing, paying to go in cities etc.

It's only a matter of time when they will try to charge us just for thinking about going for a drive!

Yeah, but that's a problem for the future. You can't battle something that isn't there. Hopefully I'll be living in the country totally self sufficient when the time comes...

hey are already going through the process of road pricing, paying to go in cities etc.

this will only encourage illegal drivers and people to not give a damn,but they known this thats why the clamp down on license plates.

Hi "unit 2431" I`ve had an 02 diesel yaris for about a year now. !Removed! great car. £35 a year tax. Accelerates quicker than 1.3 yaris. (I should know I work on them every day) Its not that much slower than a T sport (as my darlin brother found out!) It`l do a ton all day on the motorway - up and down dale. I actuly tow a 2 seater jetski with my Yaris and can hardly tell its on the back. Sounds strange but I get the best MPG when towing. This is because i`m restricted to 60MPH when towing. All in all, and with me being a tight git, I can`t fault the car.

Thats awesome i may go back to uni as a mature student ,so it will be ideal,just need to find one now!thanks mate