Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

bob2

hi all, has any members tried flat Wiper Blades,are they any good ? i read an article saying they can burn out wiper motors in fact replacement motor had label saying not to use with flat blades cheers. bob aberdeen, 03 vx petrol.

hi all, has any members tried flat wiper blades,are they any good ? i read an article saying they can burn out wiper motors in fact replacement motor had label saying not to use with flat blades cheers. bob aberdeen, 03 vx petrol.

Welcome.

Interesting point, I've not heard that before, and it surprises me. I'd not tried flat blades before but have finally just fitted a pair of Bosch flat blades to my IS.

I used to be an engineer for a wiper Blade manufacturer so I know quite a lot about the various design parameters. I was sceptical that flat blades would be as good as proper harnesses, but I have to say I'm quite impressed with them so far.

With regard to wear on the motor, I'd say that it'll very much depend on how you use them. In heavy rain the water lubricates the screen so the load on the motor's quite low. Aerodynamic forces can be a factor too, but not as much as dragging a long dry blade across a dry screen, or trying to shift piles of snow with them.

Not had mine long enough to really be certain, but I feel that providing they're not abused, they won't cause excessive wear on the motor.

HTH

T

i read an article saying they can burn out wiper motors in fact replacement motor had label saying not to use with flat blades

Sounds like an old wife’s tale, and probably sour grapes from makers of the old style Wiper Blades now they realise their design is years out of date...

• 8 years later...

Hello - welcome to Toyota Owners Club 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links