Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maintenance/improvements - 4.3 Rear Camera Installation Part 1

shcm

If I am successful, I will pay my dues by recording the installation.

(message to club, I notice that site time clock is not BST, is this to suit the global feel of the club.)

Regards

Brian.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mechman

• TomPL

• kanulondon

• dazuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi shcm.

I have checked out as suggested. Both the camera and V- are grounded in their own right. I have added a cross feed wire and connected them together. I am still using the auxilary plug and socket in the rear of the vehicle to feed the camera.

In reverse with the engine running and reversing lights showing, there is still getting no response at the HU.

Regards

Brian

Handbrake switch ?? . . . No that only disables the DVD /TV feeds not the Reversing Camera.

You are getting a positive signal from the Reverse Gear Selected pin at the HU Wiring loom?

Hi.

At present, I am only using conns 1(ground) and 2(+) on connector S7 in the rear door.

The car is auto and the handbrake is off. There is a 12v auxilary socket in the boot which comes live with the ignition.

The only connections being used are 12v from the socket and 1 and 2 on S7. Running the engine, handbrake off and reverse selected does not pull the HU. The reversing lights and "bleepers" operate when reverse is selected. Rear door open or closed makes no difference.

I am not aware of which wire to check re the reverse feed to the HU.

Any advise would be welcome.

Regards and thanks

Brian

At present, I am only using conns 1(ground) and 2(+) on connector S7 in the rear door.

So, pin 3 "CGND" is still floating?????

"V- should also be connected to CGND". i.e. both those connections should be grounded.

I can't remember which (It's too long ago), but either V- or CGND (pin3) I believe also effectively acts as a camera enable input to the HU (as I did say earlier). I *think* if you put a DVM on one of them, you find it pulled up (through a pull up resistor) to vehicle supply. Connect them both to Chassis (or your aux connector GND). The HU will ignore any video signal (or it will be flickery) otherwise.

Hi shcm.

Yes I am only using 1and 2 on S7. I will try and get time tomorrow to get it going.

This means I will have 12v on the camera, 2 on S7 conned to v+, and 1 and 3 grounded as a pair with V-.

Again Thanks

Regards

Brian

Hi shcm.

Yes I am only using 1and 2 on S7. I will try and get time tomorrow to get it going.

This means I will have 12v on the camera, 2 on S7 conned to v+, and 1 and 3 grounded as a pair with V-.

Again Thanks

Regards

Brian

Sorry folks.

Tried above, (3 is the red wire) but no success. Looks like I may be destined to live without camera.

If anyone has further advice I would be grateful as it is club members help that has got me this far.

Regards

Brian

This installation refers to 4.3 XT5 and T180 models fitted with the "B9004" full screen Sat Nav head unit. These are vehicles from start of production to at least present date (Nov 2007) and probably beyond. Background The B9004 has the capability to display the image from a rear view camera or any other PAL/NTSC video source. The XT5 and T180 models also have the camera harness wiring already installed from the head unit to the inside of the rear door. There are six signals to/from the head unit which are involved. The six signals at the rear connectors of the head unit are: BTCY : back door courtesy switch on pin 1 of 24 way head unit connector E54 (light green wire) REV : reverse gear select on pin 5 of 5 way head unit connector E57 (red wire) CGND : camera supply ground on pin 21 of E54 (red wire) V+ : camera video signal on pin 22 of E54 (white wire) V- : camera video signal gnd on pin 23 of E54 (a screen/braid wire) CA+ : camera positive supply on pin 24 of E54 (a black wire) More importantly, four of these signals appear on a connector called S7 inside the rear door. The S7 connector is shown below: 90980-12382.png S7 is a 6 way connector. Those signals that connect to S7 from the head unit are: CGND : connects to CGND on S7 (pin 3) V+ : connects to CV+ on S7 (pin 2) V- : connects to CV- on S7 (pin 1) CA+ : connects to CB+ on S7 (pin 4) pins 5 and 6 on S7 are unused. The Toyota part number for S7 is 90980-12382. So far we have not managed to source the other mating half of the S7 connector, so alternative connectors have been home-made (see installs below). When reverse gear selection is detected via REV, 6 Volts is supplied from the head unit to the camera via CA+ (CB+) and CGND. The camera video signal is input to the head unit via V+ and V-. If the back door is detected open via BTCY, then if reverse is also selected at the time, a door open message is displayed on the head unit in place of the camera video signal. For a non-Toyota after-market camera, it is likely to require a 12V supply and not the 6V supply that the Toyota camera would appear to accept. A suggested place to pick up the 12V is from the reversing light supply (see Darkside's installation below). V- should also be connected to CGND. Although the B9004 unit appears to accept both a NTSC and PAL video input, a NTSC camera is recommended. Don't forget you might also want a reversed image camera and one that works in low light conditions or has infra red LEDs for night time use. OK, that's enough theory, what you really want is the installation. The following is JHRC's installation into a XT5. JHRC's XT5 Install I cut some circuit board that you can buy from Maplin, the pin I got from a burnt out interface unit from my work, but I am sure you can buy them from Maplin, the video cable came from accessories that come with your home DVD player, solder the pins onto circuit board cut one of the plugs of the video cable and bare back the cable, solder to the circuit board. I then used rubber sleeves to insulate the plug. P1000928.jpg I used 6 pins but you only need 4, I haven't mentioned what position you solder the wire to, as shcm already covered this. Connect the plug to S7 socket secure video cable and feed it down to the wiring that comes into rear door, right hand corner, push video plug through flexible rubber into where right hand light cluster is, this has an access cover for changing bulbs. P1000907.jpgP1000906.jpg My 12v supply come presently from the rear accessories socket, but will try to take this from reversing lights, earth is bolted to body using a 6mm eye crimp. P1000912.jpg Now the camera I bought various ones CMOS and CCD sensors, PAL or NTSC from Ebay, but ended up using a NTSC camera with a Sharp 1/3 CCD image sensor from Ebay (Backupeyes from Baldwin Education) this a UK company with very fast delivery, Prices approx. £40, Rear view CCD camera, night vision reversing camera, (#330182485033) P1000580.jpg This was fitted below the bumper on right hand side of number plate, 2 X 4mm hole were drilled into bumper to secure camera bracket and the camera cable was fed behind bumper to the right and tied to existing cables. On the right hand corner below bumper above exhaust tail pipe there is a vent flap which you feed the cable into and comes in near light cluster, this is where to connect the video and power cable. P1000914.jpgP1000920.jpgP1000921.jpgP1000910.jpg Continued in Part2.................................

Got one question.

So if I use an aftermarket 12V camera, I do not attach V- to the head UNIT, but I attach it to ground? Am I right?

Tried above, (3 is the red wire) but no success. Looks like I may be destined to live without camera.

If anyone has further advice I would be grateful as it is club members help that has got me this far.

Regards

Brian

Yes, CGND is red (hard to believe, I know).

I'd check the back of the head unit. i.e. are the cam signals connected. Headunit removal is relatively easy. See here:

http://www.toyotaown...showtopic=72652

The attached pdf shows where these signals are on the rear connector E54 (last page). You could check continuity/harness presence with a DVM (or perhaps even a bulb and battery), by connecting into the rear door S7 connector and then running a temporary long wire (unless you have very long DVM leads) to the front and disconnecting the E54 connector from the headunit. Then check continuity between each relevant signal pin in the headunit connector (E54) and the end of your temporary wire (other end of which is connected to the relevant S7 pin)

Checking for about 6V between CB+ (pin 4 S7) and chassis, with vehicle in revese might give you some indication that the harness is intact.

b9004Retro.pdf

Got one question.

So if I use an aftermarket 12V camera, I do not attach V- to the head UNIT, but I attach it to ground? Am I right?

Refering to S7, connect CGND to ground. Try connecting the video camera signal screen (coax braid) to S7 V-. The camera signal wire goes to S7 V+. If that fails, try connecting V- from the camera, V- in the S7 connector and CGND in the S7 connector all to ground.

What I did is:

connected CGND and CA+ to the rear light bulb, and the V+ and V- directly to the Head Unit - while launching the rear gear, nothing was happening, even though all sensor wires were connected correctly.

The only mistake I made, was that the back door was open - maybe this is why it did not work? or maybe I should have connected V- to ground?

@shcm what do you think?

DON'T connect CA+ to the bulb. CA+ is a 6V supply FROM the headunit. This means you've shorted a 12V and 6V supply together!!!!!!!!!!!! The car 12V will win. I hope the 6V supply is internally protected and you haven't fried anything else in the headunit.

If you're using a 12V camera, just connect its power supply +ve lead to the bulb. Leave CA+ alone. Find a suitable ground for its ground lead.

If the back door is open and the headunit detects a camera, you will get a message to the effect of "the camera will not operate, with the back door open". Try with camera signal screen, V- and CGND connected to GND.

Regards

Brian

I'd check the back of the head unit. i.e. are the cam signals connected. Headunit removal is relatively easy. See here:

The attached pdf shows where these signals are on the rear connector E54 (last page). You could check continuity/harness presence with a DVM (or perhaps even a bulb and battery), by connecting into the rear door S7 connector and then running a temporary long wire (unless you have very long DVM leads) to the front and disconnecting the E54 connector from the headunit. Then check continuity between each relevant signal pin in the headunit connector (E54) and the end of your temporary wire (other end of which is connected to the relevant S7 pin)

Checking for about 6V between CB+ (pin 4 S7) and chassis, with vehicle in revese might give you some indication that the harness is intact.

b9004Retro.pdf

Got one question.

Refering to S7, connect CGND to ground. Try connecting the video camera signal screen (coax braid) to S7 V-. The camera signal wire goes to S7 V+. If that fails, try connecting V- from the camera, V- in the S7 connector and CGND in the S7 connector all to ground.

Hi schm.

Will try as soon as I get a chance. Thank you for your continued input.

Regards

Brian

Shcm - you hot me wrong. By saying CA+ I meant connecting the camera to 12v power supply from the rear bulb ;)

Hello.

New member, signed up to this board with the reversing camera as my first project. I have 2007 D4D XT5 with spare mounted on the door, so in theory I should be in good shape.

I seem to have same issue as TomPL. I can't do anything to get the 6v camera power to come up when selecting reverse. I have tried pretty much everything - like Tom - but I have not shorted any pins out to tell the HU that there is a camera installed. It sounds to me as though I should be able to get the Door Open message on the HU without even having a camera installed - by just shorting a couple of pins together.

I am folowing along here to get the final info on what pins need pulling up or down or shorting together.

Right now, all I have is something like 3v I think on pin1 and ground on pin 3.

Fingers crossed!

Jon.

I checked the wiring, and it is the case that pins 1 and 3 have to be shorted together before the head unit recognises that there is a camera installed.

To test - even without a camera - just short those 2 pins, start the engine and select reverse. With the back door open, you get the warning message about closing the door.

Now all I need to check is what others have done for routing wiring down to the bumper for cars with the spare wheel on the door.

Jon.

CAN it be possible, that the HU is so smart that he knows, that we are connecting an aftermarket chinese camera, and block the possibilty to use it?

I got a friend who had chinese cameras in his previous 4 toyotas, but when he bought the 2012 Rav4 he was not able to use the HU with an aftermarket camera.

I am from Poland. Even though I think my English is fluent, I do not understand what U mean by saying - "THOSE TWO PINS SHOULD BE SHORTED TOGETHER". You mean that those two wires should be connected to themselves or that they should both be connected to GROUND?

TomPL,

To be sure that there is no problem with the camera, start your test with no camera connected. Pin 1 and Pin 3 are both ground. Short together means join them with a wire. This is how the HU detects if there is a camera. With no camera, just the wire from pin 1 to pin 3, keep back door open. Start engine and select reverse. Even with no camera connected, you should have message on your HU display warning that the door is open.

I have not tested yet, but I also expect that pin 4 will now go to 6v. If you close the door, the message will go, and any video signal from pin 2 will show on your display.

Composite Video standard is very old and very standard. You should have almost any video source that is composite video able to display on the screen.

Jon.

got it, I'll check next week, when my mechanic comes from vacation (I do not want to open the dashboard myself, cause I am afraid of breaking something) :)

Tom,

Remember, the pin numbers 1 and 3 are on the connector inside the rear door on the pre-wired Rav 4 models. If you are working at the head unit end, obviously pin numbers are different.

Regards

Brian

b9004Retro.pdf

Got one question.

Hi schm.

Will try as soon as I get a chance. Thank you for your continued input.

Regards

Brian

Hi schm.

Just had another crack at it. Took the HU out. Could not trace S7 conns to any at the HU.

On E54 at the HU there are only 5 wires. 12(white), 17(black), 18(White), 19(White), 20(Red). All other teminals are empty. (Viewed on the pins with the cables running away from me). If I am to carry on trying (the urge is weakening) I presume I will have to run 3 wires from the door to the HU plus a link on 21 and 23. BTCY is the only one I am not sure of sourcing at the back door.

I could run a temporary lash-up if you feel this is the way to go.

I have just been reading this string from the top. It looks as if I take BTCY from the interior door light supply that gives me the interupted feed I will need.

The other concern is the lack of REV feed on 5(E54). Do I put 12V onto this from the reversing lights.

Can I ground 21 and 23 at the HU.

Again, many thanks.

Regards

Brian

Further to above.

I have noticed that in the very first paragraph, first entry, V+ is listed as 22, and CA+ as 24. In the pdf, posted 27/05/12 at 10-38 AM they are listed CA+ as 22, and VA+ as 24.

As my TX5 is un-wired at E54 I have run a completely separate set of cables from the HU to the rear. These are conns 1,5,21,22,23, and 24.

The camera is a standard eBay supply. This is using a separate 12V supply.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

I have tried both arrangements above but am getting no response at the HU. I have connected 5(REV) to the 12V+ along with the camera. I have grounded 21, 23 (CGND, V-) together. Connecting 1(BTCY) to the supply makes no difference.

If anyone can tell me where I am going wrong or point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Brian

I tried so hard did all what you guys told me and nothing happens. I select reverse and no change on the HU screen

Does anyone have any other advice?

TomPL,

Sorry you are not making progress.

If your vehicle has the B9004 head unit fitted from new, I do not think it will be different from all the others. At first, I had the same problem as you have. As soon as I connected pin 1 and pin 3 together on the correct connector in the rear door, everything works.

You could look at the back of the head unit (needs removing of trim around head unit) and check that all connectors are plugged in. There is just one black connector not normally used.

Keep going! Mine connected fine. Camera works fine using power from pin 4 of the 6-pin connector.

Success, I have a working camera on my 2007 TX5. So here goes.

The vehicle has the S7 connector in the back door. However when I removed the HU from the dash, non of the wires were present at the HU and had never been fitted. I ran a light weight multicore from the HU and terminated in the boot. This ran inside behind the trim.

I then connected wires to teminals 1,21,22 and 23 on connector E54(D).

A final wire was connected to terminal 5 on connectorE57(E). This is the 5 pin connector right in the corner. Pin 5 already had a Red wire connected to it. I cut this and connected to one of the wires going to the boot.

Teminal 1 is connected to BTCY on the back door.

Terminal 21 is connected to CGND(CAM)

Terminal 22 is connected to V+

Terminal 23 is connected to V-

Terminals 21 and 23 are grounded together.

On the TX5 there is a switch fitted in the boot to cancel the reversing bleepers. If you remove the access panel above it and reach inside you will find the two wires attached to it. These are very long and easily located. One wire is red and one wire is black. The Black wire is the feed to the switch and the red is switched. Connect the wire from terminal 5 and the camera 12v feed to the black wire. Ground the camera neg feed. The system will respond to reverse gear even if you switch the bleepers off. ie for hook-up when towing.

Connect V+ and V- to the camera.

The wire on terminal 1 is supposed to indicate the door is open. I have tried this with 12V on it and by grounding it. Either way there is no effect on the screen. I am willing to live with this unless someone has the solution.

Connector E54(D) 24 pin. On mine the wires were missing along with any terminals. (Purists look away now).

To connect, I stripped the wire back about 10mm and pushed them into the back of the connector block until they could be seen at the front but not sticking out. I then super-glued the cable at the back. Please remember these are small multi strand cables.

When the connector is fitted the pins bed into the cable strands.

Because it is easiest I have fitted the camera in the rear door just above the bumper next to the spare wheel.

//www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280791900801?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Full thanks to all who have gone before me, their help was invaluable. This system works on my car, it is up to you if you wish to try it on yours.