Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4 Alexm/anyone Bought New D4d From A Dealer

D4DSuffolk

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been posted before.

Am looking to get new D4D TR 5 door from a dealer before end of year to take advantage of 0% finance and hopefully have it for 1/3/08 delivery onwards to get the new plates. :)

List for a 5dr TR is £11095 and I am interested in Venetian Silver paint and possibly the option pack of rear discs, Traction Control and Stability Control. Have read members like AlexM getting a 3 dr TR at around £800 off list by quoting Broadspeed etc internet sites as a haggling tool at the dealers.

As a complete newbie to Toyota, the Yaris (research done, found Yaris via Micra and Polo....) and this excellent forum, my question is how have members gone about getting a good deal at dealers? Is the rear discs, traction control etc pack worth it? Do dealers prefer to add extras such as mats or servicing or is it easier to haggle on base price?

Any and all advice given on how to get a good deal at main dealer gratefully received. Where we live in Suffolk there are around 20 dealers within an hour or so drive in East Anglia, is it an idea to play them off against each other and as it is the first and probably last time we will have a new car is it worth asking for a test drive for a day or even a morning etc?

Thanks very much in advance for your help. Our dealer says November is a quiet month for them, weather bad etc, any tips? So far have driven a 1.3 VVTi for about 15 mins and dealer failed to call us back to arrange D4D test but I haven't asked for extended test yet.

Andy

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been posted before.

Am looking to get new D4D TR 5 door from a dealer before end of year to take advantage of 0% finance and hopefully have it for 1/3/08 delivery onwards to get the new plates. :)

List for a 5dr TR is £11095 and I am interested in Venetian Silver paint and possibly the option pack of rear discs, Traction Control and Stability Control. Have read members like AlexM getting a 3 dr TR at around £800 off list by quoting Broadspeed etc internet sites as a haggling tool at the dealers.

As a complete newbie to Toyota, the Yaris (research done, found Yaris via Micra and Polo....) and this excellent forum, my question is how have members gone about getting a good deal at dealers? Is the rear discs, traction control etc pack worth it? Do dealers prefer to add extras such as mats or servicing or is it easier to haggle on base price?

Any and all advice given on how to get a good deal at main dealer gratefully received. Where we live in Suffolk there are around 20 dealers within an hour or so drive in East Anglia, is it an idea to play them off against each other and as it is the first and probably last time we will have a new car is it worth asking for a test drive for a day or even a morning etc?

Thanks very much in advance for your help. Our dealer says November is a quiet month for them, weather bad etc, any tips? So far have driven a 1.3 VVTi for about 15 mins and dealer failed to call us back to arrange D4D test but I haven't asked for extended test yet.

Andy

Well done choosing a Yaris, its clearly the best supermini out at the mo.

Anyway, just about to go to work but when I get in I'll give you a run down of everything I'd do. But be warned, 0% finance will probably mean they will offer no discount on the car and will require a hefty deposit.

Thanks v much sir, I'm at work at mo so will look forward to your words of wisdom at home later. Luckily we do have a substantial deposit to put down anyway, am I presuming you didnt do the 0%? anyway, most grateful and "talk" later.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

0% is a great strain on car deals and can only be funded by the dealer giving away most of his margin. In theory, this is the best time of year to get a deal, it's quiet, deals still have to be done, and Toyota are paying some of the 0% deal (so the dealer is not funding it all) If you wait till March 08 two things are for sure, A: The 0% deal will be over, you don't get 0% deals at the start of a campaign quarter, and B: The dealer will have orders coming out of their ears in March (plate change) so you won't have any bargaining power, it will be more or less take it or leave it. You can hawk yourself all over the internet, the problem with these campaign cars (TR and SR's) is there is only a small margin in them to start with so be realistic in what you can expect, 0% or a discount, I doubt you will get both. If you have your deposit now and want a deal, now is the time to do it. If you want me to get a quote from here, let me know in a PM. I dont sell cars personally but I can pass you on to somebody decent

Kingo :thumbsup:

Right...

Have to agree with parts-king, 0% deals aren't offered out of the kindness of dealers hearts nor will any bank lend at 0%. You pay for this by paying full list price for your car. Ok, you might get a few hundred pounds worth of options chucked in but you won't get the same kind of discount you would if paying cash or taking their usual expensive finance for example.

Broadspeed have the TR 5dr D4D listed at £10169, and you get free metallic black or silver. Since its not a good time for dealers, you may even beat that a little if you don't want to take the dealers 0% finance. Theres loads of broker sites but I found broadspeed the cheapest when I was searching. These brokers work by negotiating a bottom end price with at least one dealer (maybe a whole network of them), the broker will then get paid a fee by the dealer. If you cut the broker out and just use this as a guide price, you may well get an extra or two. I got the broadspeed price, a full tank of diesel and £150 for a car ready for the scrapyard, but I could of got more if spent more time.

I'd suggest you goto a dealer armed with all the information ready to fight your corner, including a bank loans APR rate for overall comparision. Don't get succered into the dealers brainwashing, just look at the facts available. In short, ignore everything bar the figures presented to you. Lets say you borrowed £7,000 over 4 years at 6.5% APR, the cost of borrowing is £968. So if you bought the car at the broker price of £10,169 your total cost is £11,137. On that basis, even if you got no discount at all, the 0% deal would be better value. However, they may have end of loan fees so you need to ask the question "what is the total amount I will repay?".

So on that basis, I'd look at getting first a discount with a target of maybe £300, so start by asking £500. When hes agreed on a discount you are happy with, ask for a free option (the more likely giveaway). Whatever you do during this process, don't shake his hand! When you feel you've got as much as you can, say you're going to think about it. At this point, goto the next dealer and present him / her with everything you got from the last dealer. Do this until you hit a wall, then buy!

To be honest, you could probably do most of this over the phone since I don't think you'll get much more than the already good value deal unless you actually want a number of upgrades, in which case there is always haggling to be done on the cost of these. Personally, I'd have it as stock. I don't think a Yaris diesel really needs traction control, and the brakes are good enough as they are.

Regarding test drives, ask for a day (overnight). If you're serious about purchasing they should make arrangements for you. When I looked at a BMW 1 series last year, my friend and I had a day each to try the car out. On that basis, I loved the car and the service we received was exceptional. Toyotas service wasn't half as good, its a shame because their products are decent. I took a Yaris out for 3 hours and was satisfied regardless.

Let me know if theres anything else I can help with!

Best of luck.

Thanks you two, v much appreciated, as you can see by the time my day is all over the place. Hopefully I'll have a bit more time tomorrow to take it all in, v grateful to you both.

Thought I had was to try and cost out over 3 years the total finance ie paying cash for the lot with a discount but i cant get my head round it, base car seems good.

Andy