#1 matfrost

matfrost

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Toyota Model: Rav4.3 XTR 2.2 D4D

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:13 PM

I am waiting for the delivery of my new XTR, and have been offered Supagard treatment for 199 by the dealer.
What is the general feeling about this treatment? Is it worth while, or not? It does seem like a lot of money.

Matthew

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 bothwell_buyer

bothwell_buyer

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter
  • 7,895 posts
  • First Name:Ian
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: RAV4s, MR2s
  • Year: 1994

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:16 AM

I am waiting for the delivery of my new XTR, and have been offered Supagard treatment for 199 by the dealer.
What is the general feeling about this treatment? Is it worth while, or not? It does seem like a lot of money.

Matthew

I'd take a good digital camera wi ye and follow him back tae his hoose aifter his shift. Then meet him again an say tae him if onythin goes wrong wi yer RAV, ye have superduper insurance cos ye know where he lives an if onything happens tae yer RAV fur 5 years then ye know where tae go.......

As fur the 199, never heard o it.

Whits it fur??

#3 FruitBat

FruitBat

• Registered Member
  • 16 posts
  • Toyota Model: RAV4 XT5 2006

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:41 AM

Matthew

Hi Matt,

I had pressure from the stealer when I bought my Rav last week for the same sort of think. I actually bought it with my last car an Audi A4. If I remember right they polish the car and put a polishing kit in the boot. In other words an additional scam to cream a little more money off you If not then does it mean the paint on the car out of the factory is no good and not weather proof?

You will also get the Currys/Dixons style pressue to buy gap insurance when you say no to this one you have to explain why to the sales manager. I had to switch to rude mode to make the guy understand I didn't want it and if the pressure didn't stop I would be walking out.

Joe

#4 chatman

chatman

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts
  • First Name:Jamie
  • Toyota Model: Mode4.2 RAV4 D4D VX 5 DOOR
  • Year: 2002

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:24 AM

Yea the Supagaurd is good but not worth the cost some stealers charge you.. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lucky enough to have a few friends who work in garages and have accumulated a few bottles of the polish and wash...

I would buy a good wax and wash from your local car accessory and apply once you've brought the RAV....and spend the money saved on a good camera to then post some pic's of ya ride to show us all.........

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#5 Pat2u

Pat2u

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Toyota Model: avensis T180 tourer

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:32 AM

I've have had all my new vehicles treated with supagard, and i'll swear by it, ok so its a tad expensive but its good tackle, you do get a bag in the boot with extra containers of the stuff to use later and you also get supagard keyfinder free for 12 months, if you loose your keys house included you will get them replaced free.

Re- supagard road grime just falls of your vehicle after a good pour down i think i hand clean mine about three times a year and the dead flies on the bonnet just fall off leaving no trace of them, if you can afford it go for it.

#6 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts
  • First Name:Don
  • Toyota Model: RAV 4 SR 2.2 D4D 150 in Decuma Grey and Daihatsu Sirion 2008 with Yaris mechanics.
  • Year: 2012

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:17 PM

At the time of buying my vehicle new Wollaston also bought his. We both had them supagaurded and we have both come to the conclusion that it was a waste of money. We both wash ours usually once a week and even using the supplied car wash solution they stopped beading up after about 3 months (10 to 12 washes). Maybe the secret is to only wash it 3 times a year but that may preserve the coating but kind of defeats the object a bit. You might as well not have it treated if you cant see the benefit.

Ther is no doubt that all dealers (not just Toyota) will try to push this treatment as the dealer and the salesman are commisioned on it. However, I will never bother with it again as I think it is no more durable than a good quality polish and for the interior a tin of scothgaurd.

If you want to intimidate your dealer into upholding the warranty no matter what, then we do hire bothy out for when you visit them at home but be sure to keep the choke chain tight and just out of reach of the victim as he can be very ferocious.

#7 bothwell_buyer

bothwell_buyer

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter
  • 7,895 posts
  • First Name:Ian
  • Toyota Model: RAV4s, MR2s
  • Year: 1994

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

At the time of buying my vehicle new Wollaston also bought his. We both had them supagaurded and we have both come to the conclusion that it was a waste of money. We both wash ours usually once a week and even using the supplied car wash solution they stopped beading up after about 3 months (10 to 12 washes). Maybe the secret is to only wash it 3 times a year but that may preserve the coating but kind of defeats the object a bit. You might as well not have it treated if you cant see the benefit.

Ther is no doubt that all dealers (not just Toyota) will try to push this treatment as the dealer and the salesman are commisioned on it. However, I will never bother with it again as I think it is no more durable than a good quality polish and for the interior a tin of scothgaurd.

If you want to intimidate your dealer into upholding the warranty no matter what, then we do hire bothy out for when you visit them at home but be sure to keep the choke chain tight and just out of reach of the victim as he can be very ferocious.

GGGGGGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 Parts-King

Parts-King

AUTHORISED TOC TRADER

• Authorised Trader
  • 10,390 posts
  • First Name:Kingo
  • Toyota Model: Auris Icon Plus 1.4 Tourer
  • Year: 2014

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

I've have had all my new vehicles treated with supagard, and i'll swear by it, ok so its a tad expensive but its good tackle, you do get a bag in the boot with extra containers of the stuff to use later and you also get supagard keyfinder free for 12 months, if you loose your keys house included you will get them replaced free.

Re- supagard road grime just falls of your vehicle after a good pour down i think i hand clean mine about three times a year and the dead flies on the bonnet just fall off leaving no trace of them, if you can afford it go for it.

The product is good but it's not just applied to the paint, it is applied to the fabric/leather too. It is worth it just for the free key insurance you get with it!

It is true to say some dealers pay their salesmen large commissions to sell it, that doesnt make it a bad product, that just makes you feel you were ripped off. Salesmen are tasked to sell all sorts of add ons, it's the only way to make money out of selling cars these days. See if you can have a deal with your dealer and get it discounted. I have seen a bottle of coke poured over a seat prepared with supaguard and it never left a mark, there are other products just as good on the market, you may find some cheaper

Kingo :thumbsup:

#9 matfrost

matfrost

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Toyota Model: Rav4.3 XTR 2.2 D4D

Posted 19 November 2007 - 03:07 PM

Seems to be a mix of views.
I think I may just use my Swissvax wax on the outside, and get some scotchguard for the inside, and save some money.
Thanks for the input

Matthew

#10 Parts-King

Parts-King

AUTHORISED TOC TRADER

• Authorised Trader
  • 10,390 posts
  • First Name:Kingo
  • Toyota Model: Auris Icon Plus 1.4 Tourer
  • Year: 2014

Posted 19 November 2007 - 03:09 PM

Seems to be a mix of views.
I think I may just use my Swissvax wax on the outside, and get some scotchguard for the inside, and save some money.
Thanks for the input

Matthew

Good plan, definatly worth the scotchguard treatment

Kingo :thumbsup:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users