Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Or Manual

bretthull

looking at getting a starlet/glanza what is the overall difference between the automatic and manual, do they still have the same specs etc. thanks

hi there i recently purchased a automatic glanza great fun-no losses at all in having an auto and there is no lagg between gear changes as the turbo does not stop spinng like a manual. all the manual ones i have raced i have beat but mines is sitting on 180bhp so that might be why! and you get alot of funky buttons with the auto ..

Manual has quicker 0-60 in any car over another car that is of same spec in auto, if the gear changes are done at a good level.

So i would say manual anytime, for changing down gears for corners/not having unexpected changes.

Usually a manual is 0.5 secs quicker to 60 than the automatic equivalent (depending on what car)

The only reason I would drive an auto would be if I had a medical condition and required me to do so!

Thats probably the best reply to this thread :D

Manual has quicker 0-60 in any car over another car that is of same spec in auto, if the gear changes are done at a good level.

So i would say manual anytime, for changing down gears for corners/not having unexpected changes.

Usually a manual is 0.5 secs quicker to 60 than the automatic equivalent (depending on what car)

It's not as simple as that :D

Toyota has made some very good auto boxes in the past and they are not necessarily slower than the manual equivalents. The auto usually saps a little bit more power than a manual but in return you get more torque.

The extra bit of slip in the auto can also help turbo cars get on boost sooner than a manual gearbox at the same speed. I don't know where the 0-60 improvement of 0.5 sec comes from. Sports autos are great at the traffic lights as you hold the left foot on the brake and apply full throttle in order to get a good launch :D

Of course, some autos are rubbish but that shouldn't detract from the ones which are worth having! B)

Paul.

My dad seems to think he beats the boy racers off the lights in his 2.4 litre Previa, he says they lose speed when changing gear!

Try driving an auto around town with traffic for a week and you will love them.

Try driving an auto around town with traffic for a week and you will love them.

Or drive a truck with 4 on the stick, split shift and range change giving 16 gears, all day, then drive one of the new automatics............BLISS! ;)

The Auto box in my camry is awesome, the only time I really miss a manual is when going down hill and wanting to engine brake, but then I just flick the overdrive and it knocks it down a gear, so not too bad.

Other than that it is so smooth, has great response when kicking down, and its been perfect so far cruising about or nailing it around the twistys and coming out of the corners

It's not as simple as that :D

Toyota has made some very good auto boxes in the past and they are not necessarily slower than the manual equivalents. The auto usually saps a little bit more power than a manual but in return you get more torque.

The extra bit of slip in the auto can also help turbo cars get on boost sooner than a manual gearbox at the same speed. I don't know where the 0-60 improvement of 0.5 sec comes from. Sports autos are great at the traffic lights as you hold the left foot on the brake and apply full throttle in order to get a good launch :D

Of course, some autos are rubbish but that shouldn't detract from the ones which are worth having! B)

Paul.

Check most cars 0-60 time with auto and manual and you will see the 0.5 second difference

Lets take a range of cars all taken off the dealer website:

Lexus IS250

Acceleration 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) 8.1 sec (Manual)

Acceleration 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) 8.4 sec (Auto)

BMW Z4 2.5si SE Roadster

Acceleration 0-62 mph (sec) 6.5 (Manual)

Acceleration 0-62 mph (sec) 6.9 (Auto)

Audi A3 1.6 102 PS

Acceleration 11.9 (Manual)

Acceleration 12.9 (Auto)

i love my manual but sometimes wen im fed up of drivin or tired i jst think how much id love an auto

but i cnt say id ever buy an auto

I have always had an Auto car in the household. My wife has a condition with her neck and back and life for her is easier if she drives an Auto. We have had 2.8 Granada's 3L Scorpios, Volvo, 2.5v6 Ford Mondeo and she currently drives a 1.6 Astra club Auto.

For a lot of city driving stop starting etc the Auto is splendid. In the past we stuck to the larger cars because they had the auto box and power steering. Now however the modern auto box is much better and can be well adapted to the smaller engine. I would say it depends on the kind of mileage that you are planning to do. If a lot of stop start running after kids etc or city type driving then the auto is fine and possibly a better option. It is better in traffic and will give you a quicker pick off in general city driving conditions. This is mainly because under general city driving the auto will maintain a pick off by constantly accelerating with a quick gear change, other drivers will not be revving their car out to 5 or 6 thousand rpm before changing up a gear and changing every gear like its a sprint race.

There is no doubt that under race conditions or a test then I would bet the manual every time.

The other main consideration is simply... what is your preference or what is available. Dont be put off simply because its an auto.

My I like my manual, I prefer to play around with my gears and change when I want, and the missus does not ask for my pride and joy often because its a manual :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links