Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Steering - Does Yours Return To Centre Properly?

MyEvilTwin

39 minutes ago, k1elliott said:

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum. I've owned many Toyotas. 3 starlets, previa, avensis, Corolla etc.

Got our kid a Yaris on the weekend. 2009 1.3vvti. Guess what. Sticky steering.

It only has 25k miles on it and in great shape but it makes a lot of strange noises on full lock. I was thinking the noises were dry/old rubbers.

I wasn't connecting the 2 issues but I think they are related.

The steering is a little stiff and won't return to centre.

I've seen a few people suggest too mounts and I'm going to replace them first.

Sorry for the old thread but this one has lots of info/history.

Cheers

K1

Hello, if you fix the problem please let me know

Broken front spring is one of the main culprits for this problem.

Is it any wonder with the condition of the roads at the moment. 🙂

1 hour ago, jimgerost88 said:

Hello, if you fix the problem please let me know

Hi there mate.

Does your Yaris have electric power steering?

Had a similar issue with a Mk 1 Citroen C1 which nothing solved! Eventually Flash22 pitched in with what's called "zero point calibration" needing to be carried out on the electric power steering module. This made a noticable difference.

If you have normal power steering this won't apply but can help with electric power steering if nothing else seems to work.

54 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

Broken front spring is one of the main culprits for this problem.

Is it any wonder with the condition of the roads at the moment. 🙂

I have replaced all four springs,ball joints, inner and outer rod ends, drop links,strut mounts.nothing fixed the problem so far

20 minutes ago, DerekHa said:

Hi there mate.

Does your Yaris have electric power steering?

Had a similar issue with a Mk 1 Citroen C1 which nothing solved! Eventually Flash22 pitched in with what's called "zero point calibration" needing to be carried out on the electric power steering module. This made a noticable difference.

If you have normal power steering this won't apply but can help with electric power steering if nothing else seems to work.

It is electric power steering. Do you know how to perform the zero point calibration;

10 minutes ago, jimgerost88 said:

It is electric power steering. Do you know how to perform the zero point calibration;

Not at all sure that the Yaris and the Aygo (2007 C1) use the same power steering module.

If they do then the same proceedure should work on your Yaris. Toyota have there own computer software that's used in their workshops but there is an approved alternative that will work. Flash22 came up with this for me last year.

It involves shorting out some of the connections on the OBD terminal and manually reading the flashes on the power steering light which reads any stored error codes in the power steering module. The codes can also be cleared and the calibration done using the same method.

I'll check back for you and hopefully find the post.

Hi again Dimitris,

This is the post which I referred to:

You'll find Flash22's "zero point calibration" proceedure about mid through page 2. He posted a diagram of the OBD terminal and attached files with the instructions on how to go about the manual proceedures.

I struggled to get it right but eventually got there. Had even gone as far  as replacing the power steering module with a good used one. Let me know how you get on please.

Hope this works for you.

12 minutes ago, DerekHa said:

Hi again Dimitris,

This is the post which I referred to:

You'll find Flash22's "zero point calibration" proceedure about mid through page 2. He posted a diagram of the OBD terminal and attached files with the instructions on how to go about the manual proceedures.

I struggled to get it right but eventually got there. Had even gone as far  as replacing the power steering module with a good used one. Let me know how you get on please.

Hope this works for you.

Thank you, i will try and let you know 

• 1 month later...

Hello folks

I know it's an old thread but I got to the bottom of the issue. And it is in line with some of commentary.

Bearings in the RH shock assembly were seized. Causing steering to drag/twist the top mount in the seat.

Got 2 used replacement full assemblies from an Italian scrapper. 120 queen heads for both shipped. Look new. 

Problem solved.

• Like 1