Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Compressor Derestriction

Kerby

when my exhaust packed up for the second time they quized me over the fuel as , if they find out you have been running on less than 98 octane they can void your warranty on the engine. (not sure they would ever go to that extreme of testing the fuel but i aint taking the risk) and as for saying it wont cause damage because it goes into limp mode is completely wrong, it even tells you that in the owners manual, limp mode limits the damage not eliminates the risk!

As for the 40 second trick, that is just the ecu reset, like has been said, hold the throttle for 40 secs and the engine management light will flash a few times. it does work, when i picked my car up it was in the lower power mode but after i reset it it was much faster (thank god!)

The 'no damage' point I was making was to say that if you can only get low octane or someone else filled the car before you then the car defaults into a low power mode where the timing retards to protect the engine.

I am in no way suggesting that you should run the car on low octane all the time :rolleyes:

That trick with ignition and 40 sec,does that work for reseting ecu? Anyone tried it? I know i wont get any extra power from mine but be handy thing if it did

Yes.

I did it for my mate Trucker jack. He noticed the difference straight away from idle. 'Not sure if this has given him lots more horsepower though or just set the ECU back to normal operation.

The reason we did it was because we had run some 97 RON through the fuel system on the way back from its purchase. We noticed detonation (pinking) at low revs on that fuel and filled the tank with Shell V-Power as soon as we could. The pinking disappeared almost immediately and the car seemed to be fine.

I'd been reading of the "reset" procedure and suggested it would be worth a try, in case the ECU had gone into some sort of compromised mode. Not that it was short of power, you understand, more that we felt it wise to do with the knowledge that we had run less than 98 RON fuel in it.

It had no real problem eating Type Rs before but now it is pulling like a train through all of the gears at all revs. 'Reminds me of my last motorbike - brilliant!

I am sceptical about the claimed 240 bhp output but I will be interested to see what the motor is doing when jack gets it back from annual service later today. If, as was said, the service techies put it to 215 max output after they run it at 240bhp, jack will notice it. That should indicate whether the procedure described here is to de-restrict (from 215 to 240) or to return to normal ECU operation (215 as rated for the "standard" car).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links