Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strut Braces

rallybunny

I was very near to selling my car and getting a DC2, but I've had my sensible head on and decided to keep the Yaris for a bit longer. :) I don't want any performance mods at this stage, but seeing as I'm keeping the car for a bit, I thought it deserved a bit of a treat! :lol:

I've decided to ask Santa Claus for a/some strut brace/s, and wondering what I should advise Santa to get for me. Is it worth going for both front and rear? Whats the best / cheapest to go for, and where from?

Cheers. :)

Cheapest and easiest is probably the OMP rear brace, takes 5 mins to install and makes the most difference.

There's all different types of front brace, steel/aluminium, all different makes and prices.

Envy is probably you best bet for a front one, however Strutbracer(.co.uk) do good deals on the OMP ones, they usually have some on eBay also.

Cheapest and easiest is probably the OMP rear brace, takes 5 mins to install and makes the most difference.

There's all different types of front brace, steel/aluminium, all different makes and prices.

Envy is probably you best bet for a front one, however Strutbracer(.co.uk) do good deals on the OMP ones, they usually have some on ebay also.

You can find a front upper brace on eBay, for about 29 quid! (plus p+p) Looks nice in too. The omp rear one is also usually on eBay but they look horrid in the boot and make it worse for space. If you are just after it for looks, I would give it a miss. :(

Envy is probably you best bet for a front one, however Strutbracer(.co.uk) do good deals on the OMP ones, they usually have some on ebay also.

You can find a front upper brace on eBay, for about 29 quid! (plus p+p) Looks nice in too. The omp rear one is also usually on eBay but they look horrid in the boot and make it worse for space. If you are just after it for looks, I would give it a miss. :(

how easy is a front upper brace to install though?

I actually do want them to improve handling rather than looks. Is the front useless on its own, as one of the reasons that I'm keeping the Yaris, is that it's more "sensible". Does the rear make things very difficult in the boot?

Here's a pic:

done.jpg

Personally, I find it fine for day to day use, actually quite handy if you need to prop up anything in the boot, it sits back enough to leave room to put stuff in. And if the worst comes to it it takes 5 mins to take off, if you need the whole space. If you're not keen on the colour most people just use a can of hammerite.

As for the front brace, it does help with handling, however is best used in conjuction with the rear brace. Also your other options are the under braces, Envy do a front under brace, and TRD do a rear under brace.

im thinking about both front and rear uppers!

how easy are they to install???

any drilling? jacking up? or are they just bolt ons?

cheers

ross

jack the car upgo under the bonnet

undo the 2 closest bolts on the top of the shocks

put both ends of the brace on

tighten back up

tighten the brace

bobs ur uncle

as for the back i think it might be even simpler

jack the car upgo under the bonnet

undo the 2 closest bolts on the top of the shocks

put both ends of the brace on

tighten back up

tighten the brace

bobs ur uncle

as for the back i think it might be even simpler

Firstly, ignore the above, it's not that easy.

The front can be done in 2 ways, the fast way or the full way. The main problem is the tray that holds the windscreen wipers in. This near enough covers the bolts on top of the struts. Now the easy way is to undo some of the plastic surrounds and bend it slighlty to get a spanner in and do it manually by hand. the way I chose to do it was from one of the guides found on the internet. I tried posting a link, but they are from another forum and won't work when I post. maybe try a google search.

The Rear is very easy to do, 1 bolt on each side, a 5 minute job.

i didnt have to bend anything to fit mine just needed the right size spanner n the bolts came off no problem plenty of room

Though i suppose with some styles of strut brace you may need to bend it to get to it (like a solid OMP one). I didn't have to on my megan racing one as the end plates can move before being tigtened and they have a plate that connects to all 3 strut top threads.

Hmm i do want front n rear braces but i dont want the OMP ones purely cos their Italian, an its a jap car thru n thru, seen a TOM's one on eBay looks like the scuttle would have to come off tho, any ideas about a rear one??? price is an issue.

to be fair thats just !Removed!... just because its jap doesnt mean you HAVE to have jap parts on it. OMP are very good value for money and i`ve never been disappointed with my OMP braces from quality to the gains they provide. if you want jap parts only then have fun paying lots more money that do bugger all of a better job than the OMP items.

Yer well its each to there own i personally dont want anything italian or french or german or american on what IS a Japanese car, that just how my mind works...

we are just talking about pieces of steel ya..? I can understand about other more Technical performance mods but... a piece of steel bar? :rolleyes:

Yer well its each to there own i personally dont want anything italian or french or german or american on what IS a Japanese car, that just how my mind works...

Some were made in France though.... If that makes them French or Jap is just in the owners mind.

Many of the componants were prob. made elsewhere then Japan but then, at the end of the day, it is your car and your chhoice.

I got my front one from eBay for about thirty notes. Prob. from Japan or China as they are cheap labour areas.

Fitted very easily, silver with black ends so looks okay and fully adjustable.

LOL yer im a bit of an obsessive compulsive about stuff lik this lol, dunno just wouldn't think of putting non jap parts on a jap car, My car has the MADE IN JAPAN sticker on the windscreen, by far and away the best sticker on it lol.