Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Head Unit Query (newbie)

777_cupra

Firstly everyone hello!

I'm new to this site...as I don't own a Yaris, however the Mrs does and I need some help.

Basically one of her xmas presents is going to be a new head unit, and I've been looking at some of the usefull guides on here to see about fitting it.

I'm not sure if its a phase one or two yarris its a 54 plate 1 litre VVT blue edition, probably makes much more sense to you guys than it does me!

So on to my questions about fitting the HU:

Do you lose any features or displays when fitting an aftermarket head unit...eg the steering wheel controls, and any of the displays in the car?

Is it fairly simple with the taking off of most of the dash?

I see most people fit it in below the original CD player, is there anyway to get rid of this? does anyone make a replacement centre consol with it not in?

Apart from people blowing fuses....is there anything else that people commonly make the mistake of doing?

Do you need an aerial signal booster to fit aswell?

Think thats all my questions for now! apologies if I have posted in the wrong section or anything! love the site tho and the cars!

Also just thought of one thing...is there a way of connecting an Ipod to the existing yaris stereo because that may be an option to, instead of the new HU.

it's a phase 2.

You don't loose the temp display on the computer above the heater controls, but steering wheel controls won't work unless you buy a HU which will support them.

Dash is very easy to get off, don't be afraid of pulling very hard on the speedo surround or you will never get it off.

You will only blow a fuse if you leave the keys in the ignition and the ignition on when installing the HU, or if you have your wires mixed up.

Aerial will work fine, nothing else needed

click on the link below for part numbers you will need to fit the HU in it's own surround and not underneath the original cd player.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...6&hl=fascia

Thanks for the help, just 2 more questions....

Where can you buy the facia adaptor from? Halfords jobby?

also what brands of headunit support the steering wheel controls, I was thinking about a sony?

cheers

yes mate Halfords, or if you have a "romac" near you or wether its just a local place for me.

or eBay aswell.

good luck with the fit, not sure about the other question mate.

yes mate Halfords, or if you have a "romac" near you or wether its just a local place for me.

or ebay aswell.

good luck with the fit, not sure about the other question mate.

Never heard of a romac, so maybe its just a local one. I'm sure I'll be back on here if I have any problems. Just deciding whether the mrs will moan about not haveing her steering wheel controls!

just out of interest can 6x9s be run off the standard headunit?

and a very long shot is there an aux input on the standard head unit?

Hi, you can still use steering wheel controls if the head unit supports it, BUT the difficulty is joining up the Toyota wiring to the new head unit.I managed by buying a unit from the States which joins the two together, different models depending which brand head unit you fit Pac web site Bought mine from eBay about £35 with postage. Mine fitted JVC etc units, the adaptor is available if any use to you as have now bought another Yaris and not changing radio on that.

The wires on the left are joined to existing wiring, unit on right attaches to radio via jack plug and the wiring loom on the left fits in end of the unit.

sorry if long winded.

post-18882-1197053331_thumb.jpg

you will have to look at the specs of the unit to see if it's compatible, not many are, or you have to buy the controls supplied by the make of HU.

Halfords you'll get the inner piece (the din unit) and the wiring loom

and you'll need to get the fascia from toyota.

not very cheap as it works out about £50.

6x9's will work on the standard head unit, but you'll have to slice into the wires to divide them up, but as the audio output of the standard HU is not very strong, it may have trouble powering the 6x9's or the sound could be crap.