Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Window Rubber Strips

Hogie

Hi

Iv a small prob with the rubber window strips on the outside of the door,both sides of the car,the ones that runs along the bottom of the window,between the window glass and the metal part of the door. They stop water running inside the door. The bit nearest the rear passenger window is popping up at the end. You push it down but it pops up again if you put window up or close the door. Has anyone had this prob and how did they fix it?

I dont want to use glue but was thinking about using a clear silicone because if the rubber ever has to come off again it will tear easily and it wont show and end up making car look worse

If anyone has a better idea or has done a fix them self any feed back would be great,even if they've done the same as what im thinking of.

Thanks

It's strange as my 2001 CTS used to do that before i had it resprayed.

When i popped in halfway thru the car was completely stripped down, the doors were bare along with every other part of the car that was not going to be sprayed.

Since i've got it back it doesn't do that anymore. So i guess he did something to that or just needed removing and putting back properly? I do get a slight rubbing noise on the left side now when completely closing the window the last 2-3mm when it meets the top rubber. Never had that before. So maybe there is a tradeoff? I have to pop back and ask him a few things sometime this week so will ask about that aswell.

Cheers

Armz.

When i popped in halfway thru the car was completely stripped down, the doors were bare along with every other part of the car that was not going to be sprayed.

Since i've got it back it doesn't do that anymore. So i guess he did something to that or just needed removing and putting back properly? I do get a slight rubbing noise on the left side now when completely closing the window the last 2-3mm when it meets the top rubber. Never had that before. So maybe there is a tradeoff? I have to pop back and ask him a few things sometime this week so will ask about that aswell.

Cheers

Armz.

That would be great if you could do that. Annoying when you come out of the house and look at it when its up,just have to push it down!!

Thanks man

i had the same problem - got them replaced under warranty then i taped them down with the window open to shape them a bit, works well but if you go fast enough the air pressure forces them back! try that as it gets annoying tapping them back in place. dont worry about water getting in as there are drain holes at the bottom of the door and water will always get in there and run out the bottom.

i had the same problem - got them replaced under warranty then i taped them down with the window open to shape them a bit, works well but if you go fast enough the air pressure forces them back! try that as it gets annoying tapping them back in place. dont worry about water getting in as there are drain holes at the bottom of the door and water will always get in there and run out the bottom.

Was going to tape them down till silicon sets properly,ill have to make sure i get something that wont attack the paint work under the rubber. You wouldn't know what chemicals are in a lot of this stuff to make it cure

Was going to tape them down till silicon sets properly,ill have to make sure i get something that wont attack the paint work under the rubber. You wouldn't know what chemicals are in a lot of this stuff to make it cure

no need to silicone them or ough like that - just tap them back into place n tape them down as in to kinda train them. not a good time of year to do as you need to leave your windows open a fair few hours. just keep pushing them back every time you wash n do the job when thr weather is better - they dont cause any damage its just annoying, if you still have warranty get them replaced as new ones easier to shape.

Cheers

Armz.

That would be great if you could do that. Annoying when you come out of the house and look at it when its up,just have to push it down!!

Thanks man

Sorry about the delay, finally had the chance to go down today. I asked him if he did anything special to the rubber seals when he put them back and his reponse was no. So i can only assume that they probably were rubbing against the window when closing so pulling the rubber up. Now it's not so tight and does not rub against the window at all.

There is a tradeoff though. When my side windows are covered in rain, i usually lower them and then up again so the water runs off onto the rubber strip. Well i don't get it as much now so some of the window remains covered in water, but not much. Main thing is there are no rattles so nothing is loose.

Cheers

Armz.

My driver side window rattles like mad atm and when you do the down and up trick, it comes up looking almost as wet as when it went down. I'd like to get it in before christmas as my passenger window doesn't open or shut and I think something fell off the motor as I have something rolling around inside the door when I go around a corner. I'll also get the tracking and alignment done so it's rock solid for winter. Ooh and I also got some flush fit valves so I'll see about them fitting those too. :D

My driver side window rattles like mad atm and when you do the down and up trick, it comes up looking almost as wet as when it went down. I'd like to get it in before christmas as my passenger window doesn't open or shut and I think something fell off the motor as I have something rolling around inside the door when I go around a corner. I'll also get the tracking and alignment done so it's rock solid for winter. Ooh and I also got some flush fit valves so I'll see about them fitting those too. :D

Nice, which flush fit vavles did you get?

The thing rattling in your door maybe the main connector for the power windows. Strange that it would have come out of place like that. IF you do it yourself you could always place a dab of glue from a glue gun on it so that it won't come out by itself. Just a dab is enough, don't smother it as it will get very messy. Alternatively use a 1cm by 1cm of gaffer tape to keep both the connectors blocks together.

Now i've got full leather to go in, i think i will ask the bodyshop guy to re-adjust my rubber window seals so that they rub uniformly and rain water will clean off when winding the window down. Starting to bug me a bit. I don't mind if the rubber comes up slightly aslong as the windows 'self-clean'.

Also got my front Speakers to change, so cannot avoid taking the doors apart again. Might change the rears aswell when swapping rear seats and the doors cards.

Hopefully my HID's and led lights arrive today. Can't wait to fit them.

May as well plan everything properly and have it all done at once.

Cheers

Armz.

• 2 weeks later...

Rite i went with the clear silicon and its worked out very well, tried taping it down first but that didnt work to well but thanks for the suggestion. Rubber does not move and can't even see silicon(i was very careful putting it on). Can put window up and down as much as i like and not a budge out of it. Iv it done for over a week so thats a good enough test i think. Stuff needs a good 24 hour to set,longer really in this weather if anyone else is thinking of doing it,also make sure the silicon wont react with you paintwork or else you'll fix one prob and create bigger one. You need to have the end of the rubber taped down for 24 hour's as well