Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Question

Hogie

You know how its said the clutch in the t sport is a weak point,did toyota ever uprate the friction plate,as in make it more durable when it was realised that there may be a problem with lots of them being replace? Are they still replacing worn out clutchs with the same design as lets say went into the first 02 cars?

You know how its said the clutch in the t sport is a weak point,did toyota ever uprate the friction plate,as in make it more durable when it was realised that there may be a problem with lots of them being replace? Are they still replacing worn out clutchs with the same design as lets say went into the first 02 cars?

i have posted about this before - i have had mine 18 months now and the clutch has been replaced twice, both times the clutch was modified or upgraded (different part numbers) there is also a modified master cylinder and shift cables.

i have posted about this before - i have had mine 18 months now and the clutch has been replaced twice, both times the clutch was modified or upgraded (different part numbers) there is also a modified master cylinder and shift cables.

2 in 18 months!Thats poor on the part of toyota,you'd think they could get something as fundamental as that rite at the third go. How hard would you drive the car if you dont mind me asking,or do you do a lot of city driving. When was the last one done?

2 in 18 months!Thats poor on the part of toyota,you'd think they could get something as fundamental as that rite at the third go. How hard would you drive the car if you dont mind me asking,or do you do a lot of city driving. When was the last one done?

i dont actually drive it that hard - i just wasnt willing to put up with it. i dont do much town driving and have launched it quick from start only a couple of times. my last corolla i really abused and the clutch never murmered in 120000mls, this car i treat like a queen and is on its 3rd clutch in 37k. the last one was done in august.

i dont actually drive it that hard - i just wasnt willing to put up with it. i dont do much town driving and have launched it quick from start only a couple of times. my last corolla i really abused and the clutch never murmered in 120000mls, this car i treat like a queen and is on its 3rd clutch in 37k. the last one was done in august.

Only 37k,my last mondeo done 140000 on its first clutch! Part of the reason why i asked was my clutch was done at 66k in early 2006 and i was wondering when was the last upgrade to that part,weather i have the latest version or one of the duds!! A dud i suspect. I try to take it easy on it as well,any fast starts i make sure the car is rolling and do it very rearly. Dont do much town driving either,long journeys so hoping that will save me a big clutch bill

Only 37k,my last mondeo done 140000 on its first clutch! Part of the reason why i asked was my clutch was done at 66k in early 2006 and i was wondering when was the last upgrade to that part,weather i have the latest version or one of the duds!! A dud i suspect. I try to take it easy on it as well,any fast starts i make sure the car is rolling and do it very rearly. Dont do much town driving either,long journeys so hoping that will save me a big clutch bill

if you replace it dont take it to toyota - buy a trd clutch or a blueprint clutch. the trd clutch is made by ferodo so it may be cheaper to get one direct from them or one of there suppliers. if your clutch has a high biting point you have a dud. if you had the clutch replaced under 12 months ago it is still under warranty so take it to toyota and get them to replace it.

if you replace it dont take it to toyota - buy a trd clutch or a blueprint clutch. the trd clutch is made by ferodo so it may be cheaper to get one direct from them or one of there suppliers. if your clutch has a high biting point you have a dud. if you had the clutch replaced under 12 months ago it is still under warranty so take it to toyota and get them to replace it.

I have a high biting point but no slipping,even on a hill. i wouldnt take it to toyota anyway,they'd go to town on me price wise for a job like that,plus got a private place who are very good. Fixed probs for me toyota told me were in their words "normal for the t sport". Blue print very good for parts and price,id go down that route if it needs doing anytime soon.

I have a high biting point but no slipping,even on a hill. i wouldnt take it to toyota anyway,they'd go to town on me price wise for a job like that,plus got a private place who are very good. Fixed probs for me toyota told me were in their words "normal for the t sport". Blue print very good for parts and price,id go down that route if it needs doing anytime soon.

mine never slipped neither - same here got a good mate who owns a garage if its something i cant do myself, never fancied doing a clutch and never needed too until these euro toyotas came out. i remember a while a go on here a guy had same trouble with his clutch but got no joy from toyota so he fitted a blueprint clutch and promlem was solved - blueprint is jap parts, nuff said!! another went the trd route ang got the trd flywheel and he rated them very highly. the latest modded clutch was a vast improvement but nothing special - probably last 13 months so they dont have to replace gratis. all these lil probs have stopped my plans for me t sport but i will get on and do some improvements on her then - i got the springs waiting to go on and i already have a trd strut brace and decent tyres and a bit of diy induction improvements but next year will be a busy one on the car front - already started sourcing the parts .

mine never slipped neither - same here got a good mate who owns a garage if its something i cant do myself, never fancied doing a clutch and never needed too until these euro toyotas came out. i remember a while a go on here a guy had same trouble with his clutch but got no joy from toyota so he fitted a blueprint clutch and promlem was solved - blueprint is jap parts, nuff said!! another went the trd route ang got the trd flywheel and he rated them very highly. the latest modded clutch was a vast improvement but nothing special - probably last 13 months so they dont have to replace gratis. all these lil probs have stopped my plans for me t sport but i will get on and do some improvements on her then - i got the springs waiting to go on and i already have a trd strut brace and decent tyres and a bit of diy induction improvements but next year will be a busy one on the car front - already started sourcing the parts .

I know man,i remember when i bought my car,had a couple of small cosmetic things i was willing to accept because thought sure nothing big,can fix them myself and price was rite,but been one thing after another,only gettin on top of probs now. Its a great car when everything is working but so frustrating getting there. The funny thing is i still have the ford with nearly 160k on it and going strong and its never given me one bit of trouble,apart from the replaced clutch,but think i got my moneys worth after 140k. Im not used to replacing things!!! :)

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH quit with the nested quotes guys, it's horrible!

As for clutches, how much would a decent jap clutch cost + fitting? I'm getting more and more annoyed with it and would prefer to have it ripped out a nd a decent one put in its place.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH quit with the nested quotes guys, it's horrible!

As for clutches, how much would a decent jap clutch cost + fitting? I'm getting more and more annoyed with it and would prefer to have it ripped out a nd a decent one put in its place.

nested quotes? you lost me.

What problems are you actually having with the clutch?

none now mate - but the previos ones faults included noise/vibration on overrun, high biting point and not fully disengaging making gear selection difficult. the new one has only been in a few months so we will see how long this one lasts but it is defo a much better clutch than the previos 2

Only the highish biting point for me,iv none of the noises other people have posted,what i was wondering was did i get the latest part upgrade when the clutch was replaced in 2006 or did they bring out another modified one since then.

Only the highish biting point for me,iv none of the noises other people have posted,what i was wondering was did i get the latest part upgrade when the clutch was replaced in 2006 or did they bring out another modified one since then.

yes it has been modified since then - i had one in september 06 and the one that replaced it in august 07 had a different part number. the noise and vibration was on the original clutch which was replaced with the clutch i think you have in yours and the only problem with that was the high biting point so i got it replaced under warranty as the last clutch was only 11 moons old. if your clutch is under a year old take it to toyota and they should replace it

Over a year ago,it was done before i bought the car,i can live with the highish biting point as long as it doesn't slip,i found the previous owners number in the car,gave her a ring just after i bought it and she said all she did was motorway in it,so hopefully it should have a bit of life left in it,she got 66k out of the first one which seems like fairly good going by some of the posts on here. She liked the car so much she got herself a compressor

In relation to minimarc's question,only guessing but your prob looking about £250-300 for the kit and a good half day lab on top,anywhere half decent going to be £30+ an hour,think Toyota are something like £50+.They have clutches on fensports website. I dont know what kind of a job it is,I think Toyota quoted me £900 or something like that to do it when i was looking at a t sport from a private ad,his car needed a clutch,although he assured me it didn't, i hadn't even driven it 100m before it became clear ,i decided to walk away surprisingly!!

well i spoke too soon - clutch seems to be going like the other one!!!!! i think because i have given toyota enough chances to put it right i can take elsewhere and bill toyota?? anyone on here have any knowledge on these matters your help would be appreciated.

When these clutches are being changed is the flywheel being replaced at the same time? In my experience (I work for Mr Honda) if you leave the original flywheel in, the clutch will wear very quickly.

PS I bought my CTS with 21k on it and it had a new clutch prior to collection, it made for a real comedy test drive! :rolleyes:

When these clutches are being changed is the flywheel being replaced at the same time? In my experience (I work for Mr Honda) if you leave the original flywheel in, the clutch will wear very quickly.

PS I bought my CTS with 21k on it and it had a new clutch prior to collection, it made for a real comedy test drive! :rolleyes:

Is it a duel mass fly wheel on 2zz-ge?

my mate at the garage asked me the same! if it is then they should replace the flywheel at the same time or new clutch wont last. i'm pretty sure it isnt dual mass

• 3 weeks later...

my mate at the garage asked me the same! if it is then they should replace the flywheel at the same time or new clutch wont last. i'm pretty sure it isnt dual mass

okay i bought a 2001/02 corolla t sport 1.8 vvti-l its the very first model of the dreaded clutch, :( it had two previous owners-me being the third, its currently done 58,000 miles (fsh) and is in need of a new clutch-as im getting all the tell tale signs of the wear and tear on these corolla t sport clutches, like high clutch pedal and slipping-when u put your foot down on the accelerator-anyway finally had enough oof it and went to mr-t for a clutch replacement-this was last tues the 8th jan 2008-to no great surprise the clutch kit (brand new) cost me £195

now i have a toyota specialist in birmingham this guy knows everything about clutches and especially toyota cars and this version of it-(i know hard to believe, but he knows alot-almost like a yoda-style person when it comes to this particular range of car) he said he would fit it-took it to mr-t and they said it would cost me around 500 quid to fix- so naturally i went back to this toyota specialist who said he'd fit the clutch and get the clutch kit directly from toytoa at a cost of £280!!great deal!!! thanx mr-t i always knew you were useless!!!!

anyway the point of this is bascially to the last two threads-now my garage mate said that the car does not a have a dual mass fly wheel so that does not need replacing, considering my car is the oldest and very first model i think thats pretty good-knowing the clutch i had in there was made of spit and glue-anyway he changed the clutch and straight away my mechanic guy said this clutch is very different to the ones he usually gets from toyota-he reckons the whole clutch has been more tightly designed to cater for the excessive revving u get for this model of car-he was amazed by how different the clutch looked from the old one-therefore im pretty sure that the clutch he has fitted is the difinitive clutch for the car-anyone suffereing from clutch slippage, hard to get into reverse gear, or a high biting point pls just use toyotas new clutch its an absolute dream-the clutch bites nicely and the power on the wheels now makes this car seem like a different beast altogether!

he told me b4 he fitted that he tried bluprint, clutches japtech, and an oem clutch kit and they all came back from various owners complaining about jumping/jerking cars and gears not responding how they should ect ect ect....by all means get a jap clutch ive just heard from a few links and this guy that they actually make the car worse and are prone to wearing out alot quicker. like i said my car works beautifully-he told me the flywheel is fine-and doesnt need replacing

oh yeah key point here-the clutch from toyota comes with a 3 year warrenty-now my understanding is that they only came with a years warrenty, further evidence that this clutch is now working beautifully in this car-sooo if u are having any problems with the problems mentioned above from all the research ive done (at least 2 months) toyotas clutch is the one to use-i love this car its even more brilliant now!!!why couldnt they just have released this clutch when the car was first released-??

anyway hope this helps anyone who had the same problem as me- :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :D :lol: B)