Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yippee I Now Own A Rav4

starman

Picked my N reg Rav up this afternoon. Was meant to get it yesterday but it failed the MOT on emissions. They checked everything and couldn't find anything wrong. They put it down to the fact that the car hasn't been used much recently and took it for a blast. It then passed.

A couple of things concern me though.

On the first test the oil temp is quoted (60 deg C)

The CO value for fast idle was 1.287 when max was 0.3. This was done at 2537 rpm

The CO value for natural idle was 0.905 when max was 0.5. This was done at 704 rpm

On the second test oil temp measurement was by-passed - temp gauge checked instead.

The CO value for fast idle was 0.170 and the max was now 0.2. This was done at 2799 rpm

The CO value for natural idle was 0.297 and max was now 0.3. This was done at 706 rpm

Why would the max have changed? Why would oil temp measurement be by-passed?

Don't get me wrong, I'm chuffed to bits that it passed but just a bit worried that ther may be trouble ahead this time next year.

Apart from this I'm over the moon with the car and will probably take the afternoon off work tomorrow to go for a drive.

Dave

Welcome to TOC starman. Get some pics of your RAV up. Don't think we have many 4.1's around here? I guess it's a 3 door too? That'll please bothy :)

Sorry can't help you with the technical stuff, but there are plenty who can. They'll be along soon.

Picked my N reg Rav up this afternoon. Was meant to get it yesterday but it failed the MOT on emissions. They checked everything and couldn't find anything wrong. They put it down to the fact that the car hasn't been used much recently and took it for a blast. It then passed.

A couple of things concern me though.

On the first test the oil temp is quoted (60 deg C)

The CO value for fast idle was 1.287 when max was 0.3. This was done at 2537 rpm

The CO value for natural idle was 0.905 when max was 0.5. This was done at 704 rpm

On the second test oil temp measurement was by-passed - temp gauge checked instead.

The CO value for fast idle was 0.170 and the max was now 0.2. This was done at 2799 rpm

The CO value for natural idle was 0.297 and max was now 0.3. This was done at 706 rpm

Why would the max have changed? Why would oil temp measurement be by-passed?

Don't get me wrong, I'm chuffed to bits that it passed but just a bit worried that ther may be trouble ahead this time next year.

Apart from this I'm over the moon with the car and will probably take the afternoon off work tomorrow to go for a drive.

Dave

I don't profess to be too familiar with current emmision testing equipment - maybe somebody like Moonstone Mart can comment but suffice to say that the analyser makes a comparison with oil temperature to determin the emmission values - the proper way of measuring. In some applications the equipment can not be used as they usually fit down the dip stick hole and it may not be accessable. In this case the tester can tell the machine to assume the correct temperature and this can relax the requirements. It may not be ideal but nevertheless I believe it is acceptable practice.

Anybody know any better?

Cheers

Hi there and if you've a 3 door let me know cos I'm bogged down here by 5 door numpties wi 42 day old RAV diesels that they take out to wash each weekend.....

As regards your N reg RAV - well it depends - what sort of mileage is shown??? Is there a puff of smoke on start up if its petrol??? If the car is left lying then you will get an adverse emission reading. With other cars, it used to be oil seeping down through the valve guides.

My first engine did about 160,000 miles before it seized due to lack of oil from a crankshaft seal oil leak. Up til then, it did burn a little oil = the 3SFE engine. If it is that engine, then its OK but not the strongest in its class.

I'd give it a good run and keep an eye on the oil level - if the engine has been thrashed, then you'll probably pick that up by oil useage before any knocks etc. And as usual, see if you can check when the oil was last changed....I think the oil filter is quite small and a change of oil may be of help.

I always used to take my RAV to the MOT with a hot engine - in fact I do that with most of my cars over the years.

Mind that the engine coolant will be running up around 80C+ so the oil should be up there too. As anchorman has said, if the oil temp is low, then the water temp can be used as an alternative (I think). Ask any MOT garage and they'll tell you cos its uniform UK wide.

The idle speed at 706 rpm seems a little slow compared to my experience - usually around 800 - 850. But if its happy at that why change?

I can't see any big change if you do the engine servicing and it doesn't have any obvious nasty sounds coming from it. Other simple things like checking the air filter as well.

Thanks for the replies and Bothy it is a three door so you're not alone anymore.

It's petrol and it's done 104,000 miles. I'll check tomorrow if there's any smoke on start-up. I'm planning on servicing it this weekend if the workshop manual arrives in time and I can get the bits from my local motor factors. Anything special to look out for?

I'll also take some piccies and put them up if everyone promises not to laugh at the wavy stripes on the side.

Thanks for the replies and Bothy it is a three door so you're not alone anymore.

It's petrol and it's done 104,000 miles. I'll check tomorrow if there's any smoke on start-up. I'm planning on servicing it this weekend if the workshop manual arrives in time and I can get the bits from my local motor factors. Anything special to look out for?

I'll also take some piccies and put them up if everyone promises not to laugh at the wavy stripes on the side.

OK we promise not to laugh :!Removed!: :!Removed!: :!Removed!: As long as the stripes are not too naff...........

Blimey thought you were going to say you brought the salmon pink one off eBay....... then we would have laughed :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: bag: :bag: :bag:

:hug::hug: Welcome to the Funny Farm Starman!!!! :hug::hug:

You will very soon notice that most on this site are slightly on the loon side - but all a good bunch of individuals I say individuals loosely as there are some here with more than one personality, they will become apparent in due cause...bothy... :D

All a good bunch and some are VERY informative Anchorman being one of them!!! Good man he is!Top Banana :toast::toast:

However...IF you were to mention the excuse of a car that shall NEVER :nono::nono: be mentioned you will find yourself suddenly surrounded by a few of these :ph34r::ph34r: :ph34r: who shall do a bit of :bangin: and a bit of :chair: untill the penny dropped that infact the vehicle NOT mentioned actually does'nt exist! :yahoo:

So there u go...Absolutely the best forum going ever...

Regards

Rob

B)

starman = topman

me cousin lives down your way and is involved in rugby....

onyway, disregard the snide childish comments frae those wi 5 doors. They buy 5 door machines cos they are confused as to which door leads to the drivers seat!

If the cars jist done 104k miles then it should still be very strong. of course as with any engine it depends oan whither it wis looked aifter but wi a change of oil an filter and check the air filter, and the checks on joints etc....... I wouldn't expect much more. At that mileage, there will have been some wear on the rear suspension bushes so give them a check over. With the age, the diff mount can go soft, but if it is then you can stiffen it with a flexible goo which does the job. If it does need this, then phone Marc or dennis on 01698 375789 and say that you have been contacted by Ian wi the turbo RAV and ask them the question about the goo they use. I've got it done and its great. The shocks may be getting tired...but if you think thats the case, you can use adjustable shocks easily without having to completely renew the front struts etc.....quite simple altho ma T dealer disputed it!

Check the floor underneath the carpets in case of rust - best treated now - front footwells are the main bits to look at.

I discovered that some prat in a Toyota garage up here had jacked up the car using the petrol tank as a location ....

Another possible area to check is the breather pipe from the petrol tank up to the filler cap....there is a large bore pipe behind a plastic shroud in the rear nearside wheelarch. beside it is the small bore breather pipe....this rusts as the plastic shroud is not sealed from the rain/salt etc. If you get a dry day or a chance, check it. If its not corroded beyond repair, smother the pipes with grease or something. If it is corroded beyond fixing, then replace it with reinforced plastic petrol pipe from Demon Tweeks or any specilist hose supplier. I encased my main filler pipe with a reinforced large bore plastic fuel pipe, and heated the plastic pipe in hot water to slide over the original metal pipe., It has solved a problem and re-inforced what i see as a weakness. And its fairly cheap to do.... sorry Parts-king ...- but replacing the metal fuel filler pipe is expensive.

By the way, as it happens, nothing is funnier than a 5 door RAV, so if your 3 door has wavy stripes then its all power tae yer elbow...

onyway, disregard the snide childish comments frae those wi 5 doors. They buy 5 door machines cos they are confused as to which door leads to the drivers seat!

Oh really? I have a brochure somewhere that says the 3 door cuts the options down for the hard of thinking!

5 doors are for those with wild instinct that need a bolt hole to go to.

;)

Bothy, there's a lot of great info there - thanks. I'll see how much of that I can check at the weekend.

It sounds like you've done a heck of a lot of work on your Rav. Are there any pictures around?

Nightstalker, I promise never to mention the car that should never be mentioned (wonders which one that is :unsure: ). I'll err on the side of caution and not mention any car other than Ravs.

Dave

Oh really? I have a brochure somewhere that says the 3 door cuts the options down for the hard of thinking!

5 doors are for those with wild instinct that need a bolt hole to go to.

;)

Wi-oot trying tae be cheeky, it cuts down yer options as a train driver....or is there 4 hidden doors tae get in alang wi the obvious wan??? Dinnae believe onythin ye read in brochures! :) :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links