Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Sensation Under Heavy Braking

MarcTS

Well yesterday I was out driving and a couple of times under heavy braking I experienced what felt like something hitting the brake pedal (or more accurately the feedback on the pedal from something knocking against it inside the engine bay). It is a single hit and on both times occurred towards the end of the braking procedure when the pedal was depressed the hardest.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what it is?

Cheers

Could possibly be the ABS kicking in and for some reason vibrating. As it's mounted on the panel just behind the brake pedal area.

Did you ever test your ABS properly after bending your ABS pipe to fit the cusco? Check the pipe is not loose where it feeds into the master brake cylinder.

I just get scraping noises and a sensation that the brakes are being pumped when i 'stand' on my brake pedal from a great speed.

Cheers

Armz.

Yeah I jumped up and down on the break pedal a few times whilst driving after I fitted the strut and everything seemed fine at the time. I'll have a look this weekend as during the week the only time I see my car is when it is pitch black.

I'm now also more seriously considering giving into the cost and buying that master brake cylinder stopper...

The only place so far I've managed to see them is at envy and they are selling them for £80. Although it is unclear which model corolla it is for, so I'll have to check that out first.

Oh, probably for the E11 then.

I haven't managed to find one for the E12, there are loads for the yaris and other models but none that i know of for E12. Might be better to email nugen and see if one was ever made for E12.

A nice cusco one would be look great. :D

Cheers

Armz.

I get the same vibration under braking but usually only if i'm braking and hit say a bump or grate in the road.

Doesn't happen at any other time.

:huh:

It's almost certainly the ABS kicking in..........heavy braking in this Baltic weather, whatever next!

Kingo :thumbsup:

I get the same vibration under braking but usually only if i'm braking and hit say a bump or grate in the road.

Doesn't happen at any other time.

:huh:

That is the perfect test for ABS, on uneven broken tarmac, bumpy etc..

The wheels will have great difficulty gripping properly and the ABS will kick in heavily and you will hear/feel it for sure. It doesn't feel nice, but it's what the car is supposed to do.

Cheers

Armz.

Must be it then, as it was Oxfordshire country roads I was driving on at the time ;) When I tested the brakes after fitting the front strut bar, it was on smooth flat tarmac, so i guess the abs is less likely to kick in as strongly.

Well that's a relief!!

Always wondered what it was!!

:lol:

Well that's a relief!!

Always wondered what it was!!

:lol:

it kicks in more when you uprate the suspension - never used me abs in t sport but on me old gxi i had stiff shocks n springs and it always kicked in - even under normal braking if there was a lil pothole -horrible feeling. got springs waiting to go on, soon see if the abs starts kicking in again.

Having tested the ABS in my other 2 mercs aswell which are way heavier cars, i would say in the CTS the ABS is very uncomposed and disturbs the driving experience.

You can't hear or feel it in the mercs at all. Was slightly noticable in my Pug 106.

cheers

Armz.

Speaking of ABS, just crashed my car into a curb because i tried to break on an icey (at 20mph) and the ABS wouldnt let me break at all. Steering is fu$%ed, few other things probably are too so looks like it'll be a costly job. Corolla will be up for sale after it's repaired.

if you heard a banging from the front it sounds a litle worse than abs, sure the discs arnt warped? that gives a juddering and a fair bit of noise. or a knacked bush?

if you heard a banging from the front it sounds a litle worse than abs, sure the discs arnt warped? that gives a juddering and a fair bit of noise. or a knacked bush?

I don't actually hear a banging, I just feel the sensation of being hit through the break pedal.

ah the others are probably right then, its probs just the abs, it is a little brutal (spesh on my compressor, suppose yours is the same) i just know my brakes fade like mad after a few stops from 100+ and too many makes them warp. so just be careful! lol

• 2 weeks later...
ah the others are probably right then, its probs just the abs, it is a little brutal (spesh on my compressor, suppose yours is the same) i just know my brakes fade like mad after a few stops from 100+ and too many makes them warp. so just be careful! lol

Hi. I have a problem which sounds similar. I have a Corolla 1.4 with autogas conversion.

Whenever I set off on frosty or snowy mornings I get a loud scraping sound when I hit the brakes (even from 15mph) and a rough sort of resistance pushing the pedal back up. Is this what ABS is supposed to feel and sound like? I thought at first there was a lump of ice formed on the brake disc or something but the sound and feeling seems to come from just beneath the pedal and from what I've read here it sounds like it is the abs.

I don't feel like I'm skidding so why does the ABS kick in? And why does it only happen for the first few hundred yards? (or further if it is colder it seems). Will warming up have an affect on it?

Whenever I set off on frosty or snowy mornings I get a loud scraping sound when I hit the brakes (even from 15mph) and a rough sort of resistance pushing the pedal back up. Is this what ABS is supposed to feel and sound like? I thought at first there was a lump of ice formed on the brake disc or something but the sound and feeling seems to come from just beneath the pedal and from what I've read here it sounds like it is the abs.

I don't feel like I'm skidding so why does the ABS kick in? And why does it only happen for the first few hundred yards? (or further if it is colder it seems). Will warming up have an affect on it?

Yes that sounds like ABS.

The ABS is kicking in to stop you skidding. If it hadn't kicked in you almost certainly would have done.

Perhaps only the first few hundred yards because you start off on local un-gritted roads and then move onto ones that have been treated or have had more traffic on them, or else you start braking more gently? I doubt it's anything to do with the car warming up.

Speaking of ABS, just crashed my car into a curb because i tried to break on an icey (at 20mph) and the ABS wouldnt let me break at all. Steering is fu$%ed, few other things probably are too so looks like it'll be a costly job. Corolla will be up for sale after it's repaired.

You didnt crash your car because of the ABS, you crashed it because you skidded on ice! ABS is very good but it can't perform miricles. What ABS does is to brake on and off at a very fast rate so that the wheels dont lock up, it cant stop you from sliding if the momentum of the car is drifting towards a kerb

Slow down, it's cold out there! :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links