7 replies to this topic

#1 moggies61

moggies61

• Registered Member
  • 6 posts
  • Toyota Model: lucida estima

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:10 PM

hi
as a sick estima owner, :crybaby: the car not me, i'm looking at changing to a 2.4 surf td. can anyone give me an idea on average fuel consumption, not towing or off road and mainly in 2 wheel drive
thanks
nick

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Andy

Andy

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Hilux Surf 1996 SSR-G Intercooler

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:32 AM

You should get 24-28mpg and maybe a bit less round town, also you cant use 4wd on hard surfaces where you get good grip, the surf does not have a centre diff and 4wd will cause the transmission to wind up.

#3 moggies61

moggies61

• Registered Member
  • 6 posts
  • Toyota Model: lucida estima

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:00 AM

thanks andy, thought max would be about 30 mph, unlike fairy stories people tell you ie dealers
all the best
nick

#4 GT4 BOOSTER

GT4 BOOSTER

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,791 posts
  • Toyota Model: vw passat 1.9 tdi 130 bhp 96 kw , previous motors, 1995 hilux surf , 1995 celica gt4 st205 , 1994 celica gt.

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:50 PM

go for the 3.0 td , alot more power for the same mpg figures.

#5 surf_ltd

surf_ltd

• Registered Member
  • 16 posts
  • Toyota Model: Hilux Surf 3.0 TD LTD ED

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:39 PM

hi moggie, i would not recommend buying a 2.4 they have a defect with blowing their heads and can result in a hefty repair bill,
as said before go for a 3.0 td MPG are the same but the engine is bullet proof....
i get around 400km to a full tank
and the 4wd system is not designed to drive on normal roads, so do not use it on tarmac for everyday use,
the 4wd should be used on off road
when towing there are two buttons you can use for extra power the ECT button and the overdrive button on the gear leaver

i had my hilux imported for me back in march, 60,000kms and looks like the day it rolled off the production line
surf's are great cars to own and drive but just remember to service her at regular intervals
if you need any further assistance please let me know

hope this has been helpful

#6 rob24

rob24

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Toyota Model: Hi-lux surf

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:04 PM

on the subject of the 2.4td surf which i own didnt know too much about the heads blowing my surf is at 180,000km and just reading that they go around 100,000miles is there anyway of proventing this happening like getting the head re done or is it really expensive
thanks would apreciate the info guys

#7 Demondodger

Demondodger

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • First Name:Paul
  • Toyota Model: HiLux Surf 3.0l TD SSRX Auto
  • Year: 1994

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

on the subject of the 2.4td surf which i own didnt know too much about the heads blowing my surf is at 180,000km and just reading that they go around 100,000miles is there anyway of proventing this happening like getting the head re done or is it really expensive
thanks would apreciate the info guys

If yours is showing 180,000Km then the chances are it's already been changed(unless you've owned it from below 100.000) and know the milage history.

You may also have one of the good ones which was manufactured after the problems were spotted in which case you may be lucky enough to not have the head go.

I am currently breaking a 2.4 which had a cracked head and it only has 79,000 on the clock

Cheers
Paul

#8 rob24

rob24

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Toyota Model: Hi-lux surf

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

is the milage on the clocks in miles ifso how much pal and is there anyway of telling if the engine was made after the problem was solved
Thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users