Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Moderators

GT4 BOOSTER

I personally think this forum doesn't need any more moderators right now.

It has more now then it did a couple of years back when it was VERY busy, to many mods = to many chefs. I personally am of the belief that unless someone on the mod team stands down as they don't have the time etc, there is no need to "Recruit" more. - Not that anyone has actually said that management are after more ;)

I am online loads now, and have not seen a post that needs altering in ages which means either; A) people are behaving themselves so we don't need any more, or B) people are not behaving but we have enough mods to catch it before even regular viewers notice anything...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Calisto

• Pompey Gaz

• GT4 BOOSTER

• cfc1

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with Charlie.... this place doesnt need more mods... already 10-a-plenty...

MR2OC has a moderator rotation system... where you have 6months to a year as a mod and then someone else gets a go... it was instigated a little bit back...

This is I think is a pretty fair system..

For the record... I believe I am quite 'pally' with the majority of the moderators on here... I class myself as sound in mind (well enough) and I run my own forums... and hold positions on the MR2OC Steering Committee (more recently appointed) and Iam a regional rep...

I have never been asked to moderate on TOC... so unless there is something seriously wrong with me... I doubt its 100% 'who you know' :P

Yes there too many mods already and I’m not advising the recruitment of any more. However I personally think the members could have a say in the future enrollments.

In my experience the ‘Crap and personal threats by PM’ are/can be instigated by the person/s who have written on here, I don’t think it matters if you are a mod or not, don’t expect to goad members then hide behind the ‘Moderator’ Badge when the mud starts being thrown back!

My main point is maybe we could have a vote of who we would like in charge in the event of any moderator changes :thumbsup:

I am online loads now, and have not seen a post that needs altering in ages which means either; A) people are behaving themselves so we don't need any more, or B) people are not behaving but we have enough mods to catch it before even regular viewers notice anything...

Karma,

yeah i think we are on the ball with the out of order posts at the moment :D

we have our moderators section, where we debate about members & posts,

if someone see's something going on, its put in there for us all to decide on, and it gets a little heated if us mods

dont all agree :rolleyes:

However we hope we make the right decision on things in the end ;)

We cant all be perfect ......but i do try :P :lol:

I also agree with John, a sense of humour really helps, remember we have to read through posts that we are not always interested in,

sometimes some posts bore me silly :lol:

To be honest i dont post much since becoming a mod, you tend to read more :huh:

well... not that many of you will have noticed but i stepped down as a mod a few months back so the mod team is actually reducing.. lol

1st of all a little fun...

It isn't a "who you know" thing at all

The management team look for certain qualities within a prospective members posts and try to get a grasp of the type of character they have

:lol::lol::lol:

Funniest thing I've read on here for ages!

You'd also want people who you could trust to behave with their new found powers of moderation.

The 2nd quote "of mine" you quote above wasn't me.. unless you suddenly have the power to put words into my mouth?

The 1st quote however was me and not Boro Sera.. I can't think how you managed to mix us up.. I type with a Scottish accent and Boro Sera has a poncy English one :lol::lol::lol:

Don't correct it though.. it gives me something on you I can use at a leter date ;p.

I personally think this forum doesn't need any more moderators right now.

It has more now then it did a couple of years back when it was VERY busy, to many mods = to many chefs.

Would you like me to rustle you up a Chicken Kiev or something? (see.. I'm not the only one that either has fat fingers or can't spell :lol: )

Now the serious bit.

I personally think that a private vote of the moderating team.. or at least perhaps a couple of them.. could be a good Idea, however there are pitfalls... what happens if..

An obviously unsuitable member gets voted in?

A known "trouble maker" (for want of a better description) gets voted in?

A member makes a mistake in his/her vote?

There are a lot more "what if's" than I have said above.. so although it is a fair idea, it still might not work.

If any voteing system did happen to come into action it would have to be done when the club is going through a good patch.. to do a vote at the wrong time would lead to people voting for any old Tom, Richard (darn swear filter :lol: ) or Harry just to ruin the system. People would really need to think about who they voted for and vote sensibly and fairly for the good of the club... after all, we all want the club to be a good place to be and meet new people and form friendships etc etc.

Edited by cfc1
To correct spelling mistakes :P

Actually I think you will find chefs was spelt correctly ;)

Me Les?

Never.... It takes much more then that to make my blood boil.........

I was gonna say.... nothing wrong with the spelling 'chefs'....

Tho I think the actual saying is "Too Many Cooks Spoil The Broth"

;)

Yup I think its more commonly known as "cooks"...

I should have put that.....

I was thinking... too many mods = too many chiefs.. perhaps.

To many chiefs refers to to many managers.......

Mods are not managers :P

I was gonna say.... nothing wrong with the spelling 'chefs'....

Tho I think the actual saying is "Too Many Cooks Spoil The Broth"

;)

But many hands.......can tickle ;)

Look what this thread has degenerated into.. fun has broken out... back on topic NOW! please :P

I think moderating is similar to football refereeing (hear me out before you reach for the bannation stick :P ) in that it's best done in the background. I don't think mods need to step in at every opportunity to show their authority & there are lots of times where it's best to let things go initially rather than to step in to show who's in charge at the 1st sign of a dispute. Generally speaking I think there have been times that mods have been quick to jump in straight away which has come across as being a bit heavy handed, having said that I know it's a difficult 1 to call & it does seem to have stopped recently for whatever reason

1st of all a little fun...
It isn't a "who you know" thing at all

The management team look for certain qualities within a prospective members posts and try to get a grasp of the type of character they have

:lol::lol::lol:

Funniest thing I've read on here for ages!

You'd also want people who you could trust to behave with their new found powers of moderation.

The 2nd quote "of mine" you quote above wasn't me.. unless you suddenly have the power to put words into my mouth?

An obviously unsuitable member gets voted in?

A known "trouble maker" (for want of a better description) gets voted in?

A member makes a mistake in his/her vote?

There are a lot more "what if's" than I have said above.. so although it is a fair idea, it still might not work.

If any voteing system did happen to come into action it would have to be done when the club is going through a good patch.. to do a vote at the wrong time would lead to people voting for any old Tom, Richard (darn swear filter :lol: ) or Harry just to ruin the system.

People would really need to think about who they voted for and vote sensibly and fairly for the good of the club... after all, we all want the club to be a good place to be and meet new people and form friendships etc etc.

An honest mistake :thumbsup:unlike moderators who have changed my posts in the past ‘for fun’ to make me look like a racist/sexist/anything else ‘ist’

First point; Nominations would have to seconded and then agreed by management before being put to the public vote.

Second point; See above

Third point; Tough, if someone can’t be responsible/sensible enough to tick a box then they shouldn’t be allowed out unsupervised!

It’s a members forum so let the members decide who runs it at ground level :thumbsup:

I don't think mods need to step in at every opportunity to show their authority & there are lots of times where it's best to let things go initially rather than to step in to show who's in charge at the 1st sign of a dispute.

Generally speaking I think there have been times that mods have been quick to jump in straight away which has come across as being a bit heavy handed,

I don’t normally agree with Kev Mc but on this single occasion I just might.

There have been plenty of times when certain mods jump in thinking they are bouncers but with any ounce of common sense they may (or should) have realised that many disputes either finish with a happy ending or just fizzle out.

When they step in it can aggravate the situation especially when things are getting heated (but not abusive)

Sometimes disputes arguments need to run their natural course and not locked or altered to keep the comments PC.

:thumbsup:

With all the posts that suddenly went missing, and then Roytoner got banned for telling you what Les had pmed him about you!

That was a poor show & something that really deserved a banning in my opinion. It seems he'd decided he'd had enough of the place & was doing everything he could to be banned, posting a load of PMs for all to see was really bad, especially considering he'd posted asking how private they were not long before.

Question time!

If you was P.M.ed about a good friend of yours taking the MICK! would you not tell him??

& Also the pm's was not posted on here but another forum and not here so everyone could see the way things work here, why should he (I) have been banned??

At the end of the day Les spat his dummy out for being shown up for trying to get up the nose of Jimlad for daring to ask a question that went against what was going on!!

Picking the wrong person as a mod can be damaging to the TOC as we have seen in the past.

Your not wrong. I mean look at me. When i was asked if i wanted to be a Mod years ago i was actually drunk with Bibbs in town :lol: Not the kind of image we want the moderators to portray :lol: ;)

And the only thing i brought to the forum was alcohol, scandle and debauchery :lol: ;)

Well...i like to think i helped a little with the club once or twice in the past ;) hehe

With all the posts that suddenly went missing, and then Roytoner got banned for telling you what Les had pmed him about you!

That was a poor show & something that really deserved a banning in my opinion. It seems he'd decided he'd had enough of the place & was doing everything he could to be banned, posting a load of PMs for all to see was really bad, especially considering he'd posted asking how private they were not long before.

Question time!

If you was P.M.ed about a good friend of yours taking the MICK! would you not tell him??

& Also the pm's was not posted on here but another forum and not here so everyone could see the way things work here, why should he (I) have been banned??

At the end of the day Les spat his dummy out for being shown up for trying to get up the nose of Jimlad for daring to ask a question that went against what was going on!!

It would certainly cross my mind to tell him, yeah. I can't remember what was said in the PMs but I'd discuss it with the person who was taking the mick 1st & then decide if I felt my mate needed to know, if I felt he did then yeah, I'd tell him. What I would never do though is post the contents of Private Messages for all to see, it was petty & bang out of order & I told you that at the time. What's said in PMs should remain in PMs in my opinion

Question time!

It would certainly cross my mind to tell him, yeah. I can't remember what was said in the PMs but I'd discuss it with the person who was taking the mick 1st & then decide if I felt my mate needed to know, if I felt he did then yeah, I'd tell him. What I would never do though is post the contents of Private Messages for all to see, it was petty & bang out of order & I told you that at the time. What's said in PMs should remain in PMs in my opinion

Now here is the bit nobody bothered to ask!

he (I) did that!! Thats why he (I) did what happened! Someone (ADD YOUR OWN NAME HERE) Decided it was time someone(Jimlad) had to go.. But it back fired !!

I

^^^ You been drinking???

lmao.

Contents of a PM were not posted on this site. It was on a different site. So I dont see why someone should be banned out of it tbh.

Question time!

Now here is the bit nobody bothered to ask!

he (I) did that!! Thats why he (I) did what happened! Someone (ADD YOUR OWN NAME HERE) Decided it was time someone(Jimlad) had to go.. But it back fired !!

I

Funny enough thats what I put!! wonder who rewrote it?

Generally speaking I think there have been times that mods have been quick to jump in straight away which has come across as being a bit heavy handed,

I don't normally agree with Kev Mc but on this single occasion I just might.

There have been plenty of times when certain mods jump in thinking they are bouncers but with any ounce of common sense they may (or should) have realised that many disputes either finish with a happy ending or just fizzle out.

:thumbsup:

I agree that on some occasions this has happened, but.. sometimes you have to try and predict how a thread/post/arguement/debate (call it whatever you want) is likely to go and try and prevent anything coming of it.. we don't try to censor anyone deliberatley or pick on any individuals (but when these things crop up it tends to be the same people involved each time, so it may be perceved by others that this is the case)

Sadly some seem to get dragged up from the past long after they have fizzled out and it is precisely this type of thing that makes me want to say "sod it.. I'm off!!".

*Mod hat off*

Why cant everyone just forget about the whole thing... this thread started by a simple question from a curious member.. it was answered in an honest way... now it has completely gone off the wall... I sometimes wonder why I bother coming here at all.. and I wonder even more what new members must think of it all... At the end of the day EVERYONE has a choice... If you don't like TOC don't come on it... It's like television.. if the program sucks you change the channel.. right?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links