Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cannot Turnover The Starter Motor.

alwayswhenitscold

Anyone help me with an engine starting problem.

When I try to start my 1999 Corolla 1.6, the starter motor will not turn over and all I hear is a repetitive clicking noise (this repetitive sound is similar to that of a loud pump and appears to come from the rear of the engine area). Would this actually be the solenoid clicking or is that just a single click when the ignition switch is turned? The repetitive clicking noise only occurs when the ignition switch is rotated to the point where the starter motor should be turning. Any other ignition position and the noise is not there. I also notice that while trying to turn the starter motor, the rev counter needle shows a very high reading. The needle stays high for a couple of seconds after I have switched off the ignition.

I don’t know if this is related but my speedo also failed a couple of weeks back. This happened when I tried to start the engine. That time, the starter motor ran slow for just a second (I had mistakenly left my lights on for 10 mins without the engine running, then started the engine while they were still illuminated), and the rev counter again showed a high reading. After moving off, the speedo then failed to work. Now, when the ignition switch is turned, the speedo’s needle moves approx 1mm, showing that there is at least some power to it. Apart from that, it is inoperative. The odometer part is still working and is clocking up the miles.

Any ideas?

That sounds like the solenoid; the clicking you hear is almost certainly the solenoid, but that's not necessarily the fault. The solenoid is a big switch that your key turns on to send power to the starter and the click isn't really unusual, it's just that you don't normally notice it over the noise of the starter.

So the actual problem could be the solenoid, or the starter itself, or just not enough power getting from the Battery to the solenoid.

In the first instance check that Battery is well charged and that your Battery terminals and clamps are clean.

We had similar on the Rolla (a 94/95 model) recently and I was fairly sure it was the solenoid, but local dealer said starter brushes and they were right. In the case of ours it would click the first time you turned the key, but fire up on the second go.

Which part of Nottingham are you in? If you need a garage then Ian at Toyauto (Hucknall) is excellent or else if you want a main dealer I highly recommend Ron Brookes at Mansfield rather than the Nottingham dealership.

Thanks for your reply. After reading it I gave the Battery a few hours charge but the problem remained. There was enough charge to power the heating fan and headlights but it could still be a faulty connection though which I haven’t checked.

In any case, I’ve now removed the starter motor and will give it a quick test with a Battery tomorrow morning. Even if it does work, I’m sure it would give up as soon as I got it back in the car so I’ll renew it anyway. It will be one less component to suspect (as long as it’s not faulty too). I also noticed the gear teeth are starting to burr over and maybe it was these that were not meshing with the flywheel’s teeth and causing the repetitive clicking. I’ll give the flywheel’s teeth a quick check too tomorrow.

I’m just not sure how these solenoids work. Whether you just get the one click as power is applied to the solenoid, pushing out the gear. Or if there will be multiple clicks as the gear is quickly thrust backwards and forwards many times per second (maybe from power being automatically applied and cut at a high rate or polarity being reversed). It’s the multiple clicks (probably 3 to 5 per second) that I am getting which is confusing me.

At the moment my car’s broken down away from Nottingham but I will keep those garages in mind.

Ps What a git to remove the starter motor. Just two bolts but a pig to get to. I did eventually manage it without having to take off any other items and working from above the engine. What’s really surprising is that all my knuckles have their skin still intact. A first for me! Well, I’m sure that will change on reassembly.

• 1 month later...

Helpppppppppppppp. :(

I had the same problem with the machine gun rattle from the starter and not truning over. I stripped and checked the brushes on the old one - all seemed ok. It couldn't get inside the solenoid contacts but the mechanism was free so I cleaned it and reassembled. On refitting it the problem persisted.

I bought a Bosch exchange unit (£109 inc vat) and fitted it - same problem !!

I took the starter off the car and wired it back into the loom but fitted a temporary earth back to the Battery to ground it. Initially the same issue occured but eventually I got it to turn the starter over once I'd used a fresh earth cable bolted to the starter rather than jump lead clips. I efitted it to the car and I get the same problem of rattling and not turning.

I have 12.3v across the Battery and it is in good condition and charged.

I have 0.6ohms between +ve Battery and +ve feed into starter = continuous circuit

I have 12.3v between -ve battery and +ve feed into starter

I have 0.6ohms resistance between -ve battery and starter body when bolted to the car = continuous circuit

I have 12.3v on the solenoid live wire when the ignition is switched on

I have run a seperate earth back to the starter to no avail.

I have asked the local garage to collect it and set fire to it.......sorry, I meant repair it. :angry:

Why can I get it to work off the car using the same wiring but not on the car - What am I missing, other than a brain and £109?

sounds like the switch on the rear of the ignition barrell, have replaced loads of these now, the clicking you hear is power going to the starter then being cut again, hence the clicking noise.

OK - so this was really embarrasing.

Bloke turns up with tow truck on Friday morning. Tries ignition and says "battery". I show him my jumps leads and spare Battery and say "tried that".

He connects his jump start kit and hey presto - it works.

We take the old Battery right out and fit my spare - still works.

Looks like

1. the old Battery had a fault that showed voltage but broke down under load

2. my jump leads have broken down as well

So that's £109 on a starter I didn't need to change, 1 day tearing out what little hair I had left and another £90 for a replacement battery. (the spare belongs to another vehicle btw)

:lol:

I hope this stops some other poor s*d making the same mistake....

• 6 years later...

Hi folks,

Similar problem with the starter motor on my Corolla 1.6 GL Exec.

Checked the Battery with a load tester....Good condition so possibly not a Battery issue.

Sometimes the starter turns and the engine starts other times nothing at all..dash lights dim starter doesn't turn!

I think I may have found the problem after taking the starter out several times :-(

First off, can I offer advice on how to remove it.

There are two 14mm bolts holding the starter onto the block.

The one easiest is facing you, however make it easier to get at by removing the bracket that's in front of it -12mm bolt.

Use a 14mm socket on a 100mm extension, just slacken it a bit.

Unscrew the rev counter drive to give more room to get around the back of the starter for the other 14mm bolt.

I use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a handle about 4" long and a 14mm socket attached.(Anything much longer and you won't have enough room to turn it)

Slightly fiddly to get the socket on but not impossible...Remove that bolt completely first then return to the front and undo that one, supporting the starter with the other hand.The starter will come out of the housing and after removing the pos lead and small lead you can remove it towards you easily.

Approx 5 minutes to remove :-)

Hope that helps!

OK, I though the small connector supplying power from the ignition switch was loose so replaced it...wrong !!! that wasn't the issue.

Removing the starter again, I dismantled the primary motor - 2 long bolts and pos lead connection. Then removed rear of motor casing - 2 philips screws.

Brushes!!!!! 2 good 1 worn slightly and one worn a fair bit plus the worn one had lodged itself in the brush housing and wasn't making a good connect with the motor commutator. Reinstalled it, cleaned up and put back on the main housing.Refitted in the car and the motor engages every time...well 15 consecutive times so far...Fingers crossed it will last or will consider replacing the brushes if possible to locate. Hope that helps !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links