Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Nuts

michelangelo

Has anyone had problems with corrosion on their wheel nuts?

I bought a brand new T3s in May, and all wheel nuts (including locking nuts) were replaced in August as they had started to discolour (went a strange blueish colour).

Now with the first winter salting of the roads the replacement nuts are rusting badly.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my god

I'm having the same problem, Although its a 2004 T4 Avensis

I was still expecting everything to be in good condition and mostly it was

however...the wheel nuts are soooo rusty its unbelievable

I then began to notice other Avensis cars had the same problem...if anyone knows how to tackle this issue

please let me know

I have had this problem on every Toyota going back to my 1997 Carina. The only answer is to keep getting them replaced under warranty. My first Avensis had two new sets in two years. Touch wood - the latest one seems a bit better.

One other rusty point - the rear wheel disc covers are very susceptible. More warranty work. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a brand new T3s in May, and all wheel nuts (including locking nuts) were replaced in August as they had started to discolour (went a strange blueish colour).

Now with the first winter salting of the roads the replacement nuts are rusting badly.

hi

there are two ways -- to change them at MrT or galvanise all bolts with cadmium.

i do not think it is a grand problem. there are a lot of anothers to pay attention on.

cheers/igor :D

• 2 months later...

hi

there are two ways -- to change them at MrT or galvanise all bolts with cadmium.

i do not think it is a grand problem. there are a lot of anothers to pay attention on.

cheers/igor :D

All of the wheel nuts on my 06 Avensis are rusty - it looks horrible. Also the rust behind the wheel is really prominent too. Seems pointless getting them replaced under warranty if the replacements are equally poor. I'm surprised they want the public to get the impression that Toyotas rust quickly.

i have ordered 4 new bolts as they have gone rusty. my car is 6 months old. i guess it is luck of the draw

I tried to get mine replaced under warranty, but apparently they are not covered. Guess the folks who managed to get theirs changed bought their car from the dealership.

It doesn't help of course making the bolts out of high iron content. All my other cars never had this problem their wheel bolts were made of some alloy. This doesn't bold well if you need to change tyres and the bolt threads are rusted in place I would have thought - it might not happen if the bolt/thread mating is air tight.

Those who are lucky enough to get a new set could protect them by spraying the heads with some clear lacquer.