Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wiper Motor/arm Problem

iambinksy

Hello - hoping you guys might be able to help me with a problem that avoids chucking money at my 1999 Toyota Corolla (AE111 I think).

A few days ago, the wipers stopped dead on the motorway, on closer inspection, the motor appears fine. I took the motor off by undoing the four retaining bolts and found that the motor arm had slipped off the wiper arm. I can push it back on, however the bush on the wiper arm feels slack and it just ends up slipping off again. Unfortunately, I can't take any pictures as the weather is bad :(

I've been to the Toyota dealer and they don't sell the bush on it's own...they want £88 for the entire wiper arm assembly! All I need is the bush.

Does any one have any ideas or solutions of what I can do? It's a real pain working in that area, as the opening from the windscreen area is really small.

Thanks in advance

Binksy

Unless you can find a similar bush, you will have to buy the whole unit, sorry but it does not come seperatly

Kingo :thumbsup:

Unless you can find a similar bush, you will have to buy the whole unit, sorry but it does not come seperatly

If I went to a breakers and got another arm, would the process of seperating arm and motor damage the bush? There don't appear to be any bolts or any other method of retention other than the tightness of the bush itself.

Cheers for the reply.

If I went to a breakers and got another arm, would the process of seperating arm and motor damage the bush? There don't appear to be any bolts or any other method of retention other than the tightness of the bush itself.

Cheers for the reply.

Are they like plastic ball and socket joints connecting it? They should pop out and back in without damage; they're popped in when they're made. But if the plastic has gone brittle perhaps there's some risk of damage. Also bear in mind that they do seem to wear out quite frequently so there's a chance that if you buy one from the breakers it may not have too much life in it.

They are put together like that but after years of wear and tear you cant put them back together again, if they do go back, it wont be long before it pops off again

KIngo :thumbsup:

Hi, I fixed the problem so thought I'd let you know what I did.

The motor has a spinning arm with a metal ball on the end of it, when I went to the breakers, they wouldn't sell me the wiper arm on it's own - so I had to buy the entire assembly for £20. Ended up binning most of it as I only needed 1 out of 4 parts of it. The fit this time was much tighter, but just in case it did want to fall off, I used an "E clip" fitted on a groove that isn't used just past the ball on the motor.