Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Unburnt Fuel Out Of Exhaust

stehunt

Hi everyone,

My friend was following me home in his clio 182 last night (very close performance wise by the way!), and told me there was a fair bit of unburnt fuel coming out of my exhaust under strong acceleration, what does this mean (apart from higher fuel bills!)? Is there something obvious which needs doing to the car?

Cheers

Steve

What made him think it was fuel? would it not have been condensation?

Kingo :thumbsup:

What made him think it was fuel? would it not have been condensation?

Perhaps, but he said he could smell fuel when he was quite close to me which makes me think it probably wasn't condensation.. Is it unlikely to be petrol?

Cheers,

Steve

If petrol was coming out of the exhaust, it would be likely to act like a flame thrower too!

If the car runs OK it is most likely condensation

haha! Ok well I reckon he would have mentioned it if flames were coming out the back! The car seems to be running fine so I'll put it down to condensation, thanks for your help,

Steve

Hi everyone,

My friend was following me home in his clio 182 last night (very close performance wise by the way!), and told me there was a fair bit of unburnt fuel coming out of my exhaust under strong acceleration, what does this mean (apart from higher fuel bills!)? Is there something obvious which needs doing to the car?

Cheers

Steve

what cas the colour of exhaust fumes?

Hi everyone,

Cheers

Steve

what cas the colour of exhaust fumes?

It was dark so don't think he'd have been able to tell, its blue I need to be worried about though right? Don't think its doing that. Is it possible it could have been fuel though coming out?

I've heard that VTEC's can kick out a bit of smoke in the VTEC zone...but the Honda boys dont seem to worry too much about it...maybe its something similar...could well be condensation too...mine kicks out a fair bit when its cold.

Impressed that there wasnt much difference between the TS and Clio 182...my mate just bought a new MK5 GTi Golf with DSG and it goes like stink....have to get a run against it to see what the craic is but it felt quicker than the T-Sport TBH. You want to see how quick it changes gear from 4th to 2nd...it would be gone by the time you had dropped down a gear. Felt much quicker than my other friends old MK5 GTi manual and he reckoned that there wouldnt be much in it between his manual GTi and the T-Sport...

Think I fancy a MK5 GTi DSG with 18's in Candy White after the T-Sport, the power would be immense with a remap (270bhp)

A 270bhp golf sounds pretty immense! them DSG ones are pretty mean, powerful right through the revs. And yeah I'd definitely have the white one. I got that wrong earlier, he's got a clio 172, he's made it lighter though and tweaked it a bit. When we got a straight run on a (very quiet!) dual carraigeway we were exactly even, problem I find with the t-sport is if you get caught out of the power band most similar power cars have much more torque lower down, it was only cos I was expecting it that we were even I reckon!

I don't think I'll worry about the fuel/condensation for now, might ask about it when it goes for service pretty soon.

If you have unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust then you will have a fault

with the Cat/lamba sensor which in turn will throw up the Engine Management Light.

No light on and you dont have a problem.

More likely to be condensation.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links