Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windows Steaming Up

tdleon

Hi , Just wondered if anybody else was having a problem keeping the windows clear, I have tried cleaning the inside windows with Autoglym Glass polish but the windows keep misting up really badly and the aircon struggles to keep them clear, 60 miles down the M1 this morning and only the front screen is clear :(

I swopped from a SEAT Leon to the Auris and this was a known problem with the leon the doors would fill up with water as the drain holes got fill with wax on the production line

Im hoping the Auris is not leaking.

Thanks

Check if the car mats are not wet or if there is water on the floor. If you have velour mats you may replace them with rubber ones (they do not soak water, especially in Winter). If you turn on your A/C, set to hot and leave it for a while that should help.

Please check also if the moisture is "oily". If it is that could be A/C system leak- sometimes difficult to detect.

I would get your Air-con unit checked out. It could be that it has leaked and needs attention.

This is my first post, collected my Auris (07 plate, 1.4, very low milage) on Monday and the first real niggle i've noticed i noticed was that the windows seem to steam up very badly, and it takes an age for them to clean I've never seen anything like it on any car i've had before so it might well be a fault with the aircon as described above.

This is my first post, collected my Auris (07 plate, 1.4, very low milage) on Monday and the first real niggle i've noticed i noticed was that the windows seem to steam up very badly, and it takes an age for them to clean I've never seen anything like it on any car i've had before so it might well be a fault with the aircon as described above.

I've had mine for only a week now and had that same impression, that they steam up very quickly. However when I press the button they get clear blazingly fast.. 10-15 seconds. Maybe youre should adjust your aircon settings.

It's been raining for few days and now I can soak my velour car mats. That also could be the reason. I need to get the rubber ones- that improved things in my other car.

Well just a quick update, Had a good chance to look at car over weekend, mats and carpets dry. Spare wheel well about an inch deep in water :angry: Spent a couple of hours drying every thing out, but cant see how the water got in. will have to book it in to dealer for them to try and sort :(

Well just a quick update, Had a good chance to look at car over weekend, mats and carpets dry. Spare wheel well about an inch deep in water :angry: Spent a couple of hours drying every thing out, but cant see how the water got in. will have to book it in to dealer for them to try and sort :(

Maybe through the rearlights where they put in the chassis that the rubbers are bad or twisted , or do you wash the car by hand and hose .

Maybe than you put the hose behind the rearbumper on the side ,where airvents are build in and spray the water right in :unsure:

TDLEON,

I had this exact problem with my Auris the other week, my boot was saturated and the spare wheel well was ful of water.

Took it into Toyota and they found a hole in one of my gutter seals (whatever they are) they resealed it and dried everything out, problem fixed.

Hope you get it sorted

Mark

The front window does not clear quickly on my Auris (RH drive) the passenger side clears first then the drivers side, it's is very slow. On my previous Avensis they cleared very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
The front window does not clear quickly....
It rained last night and I am getting exactly same issues this morning and I have had it before. I don’t see any damp internally apart from misting up of the front break lights? Possibly a slight damp plastic smell. I have left the windows open today to dry out.

Hi

Just an update, my car was in for 3 days, leak in rear light cluster!!! its been dried out and so far has remained dry check it almost daily :unsure: car still mists up but not as bad as before . Service manger reckoned his has similair problems with misting but no signs of water!

On another point , they tried the 'deadlocks' and confirm my findings deadlock on with one key press! They reckon all diesels are one press and petrols require two! something to do with alarm being fitted

Heavy rain over night, Real nightmare drive to work aircon on and fan on flat out only the front screen clear and only just.

Must check wheel well at lunch :(

My car is dry again and I have no problems even though it has rained every night! If there is no leek I think the car must be kept dry as the de-misters are slow....come to think of it even the heating is slow.

What I did was:

1. Leave the windows open when dry while driving and even during the day. (I also notice water on the outside of the windows when the windows are opened and closed).

2. Use the aircon more often may also have an effect.

3. Make sure your windows are shut at night and while raining.

Hi

The car is dry, I just looked, no water in the well . Had a good feel round all the carpets and they dont feel damp. Ive have a 50 mile trip in to work, The heatings on full blast (I sweat buckets) and the aircon, apart from the last ten minutes.

I really cant work out whats going on, even when i leave the car in the garage I notice that the windows are slghtly misted in the morning :huh:

Yes will check shortly.

Getting well fed up , looking out office window, its a sunny day and car is completly misted up... Wondering if the re-circ button is not fuctioning correctly

I see you mention that you are running the heater very hot and switching off the aircon ten minutes before stopping. If the outside air is damp during the remaining un-airconned ten minutes the very heated air in the cabin will hold a lot of moisture. As your cabin cools down the saturated air will condense out its moisture on the inside of the windows.

Try running the heater and aircon set at 19 degc and do not stop it until you actually switch of the engine.

Do you use the fast demist setting only on the windscreen until it is clear and then change to general, say windscreen and footwell together. Do not keep the recirc on as this will not clear moisture out of the cabin.

Just wanted to let you know that we too have experienced the foggy windows. Seems like the backseat windows steam up way too much! This is not the case on our Avensis....

Update.. Pulled the pollen filter out, dry as a bone...

I have a TR so no climate control. The dealer told me to turn the aircon off , they reckon the condensation needs time to dry up on the condensor.

Time for another trip to Mr T

Keep the windows slightly open today like I have. The plasticky damp smell is also going away.

I am still finding water when when I wind the windows down and then up again.

I think I may have found the problem. Last nigh I left the car in a warehouse I have access to over night with the doors open.

This morning there was a pool of water under both rear doors, must have been at least a litre under the passenger side one and less on the drivers side, ran my hand under the doors edges and water comes out!. The drive in the morning was much better with hardly any misting. Will let Mr T know...

This morning there was a pool of water under both rear doors, must have been at least a litre under the passenger side one and less on the drivers side
. Do you think the water came in from the window? I have no more water getting in behind there and my windows no longer steam up but I wondering how it managed to get in there in the first place.

Car Booked in

Dealer told me doors are designed for water to flow through them! He aslso sais they have another car in with the same problem and will kake the door cards off know to check if it has same problem... Will let you know

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links