Photo
- - - - -

To 'solve' The Problem Of The Abs Warning Light.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Yaristotle

Yaristotle

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Yaris
  • Year: 2002

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

I have heard that recently a Yaris owner (whose car had a fsh) experienced the ABS warning light indicating. The main dealer carried out the necessary investigation but was unable to detect what was causing the problem. If this indicator is found to be on during an MOT test the vehicle is failed. To get round the problem the dealer advised that the only redress was a full replacement of the ABS unit at a cost of 1,200! The owner sought a more economic alternative and obtained a quote of 700 from a non-franchised garage. The problem was that the garage was unable to source the correct item so the work could not go ahead. When the original dealer was made aware that they would not be undertaking the said work they had not heard that the garage had found the item unobtainable - they reduced their charge to 900. This was accepted and the work carried out.

This seems a massive cost to have to meet for such work. Is this a well known problem amongst the Yaristocracy er, I mean Yaris owners. Any comments a appreciated.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 johnrizla

johnrizla

• Registered Member
  • 10 posts
  • Toyota Model: Work for Dealer/ Celica GT4

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

I have heard that recently a Yaris owner (whose car had a fsh) experienced the ABS warning light indicating. The main dealer carried out the necessary investigation but was unable to detect what was causing the problem. If this indicator is found to be on during an MOT test the vehicle is failed. To get round the problem the dealer advised that the only redress was a full replacement of the ABS unit at a cost of 1,200! The owner sought a more economic alternative and obtained a quote of 700 from a non-franchised garage. The problem was that the garage was unable to source the correct item so the work could not go ahead. When the original dealer was made aware that they would not be undertaking the said work they had not heard that the garage had found the item unobtainable - they reduced their charge to 900. This was accepted and the work carried out.

This seems a massive cost to have to meet for such work. Is this a well known problem amongst the Yaristocracy er, I mean Yaris owners. Any comments a appreciated.

Not at all common the unit in question i have only ever knowen as one being changed on a yaris in 7 years in toyota parts for a main dealer lol but we wernt this dealer in question as one we did was still under warranty

#3 sidta23

sidta23

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Toyota Model: 1993 celica gti st182 & 1976 ta23 & 1999 at200

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:54 PM

Hi i had this problem on my 1999 celica & it turned out to be a crack on the sensor ring on the cv joint, abs light was on buy diagnostic test reveled nothing as if all was ok, so worth a check, take out the wheel sensors & look in the hole for crack in ring, i had a great mechanic to fix mine.

#4 Benno_uk

Benno_uk

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:28 PM

Well any dealer tec that cannot find an ABS problem on the Yaris with a diagnostic IT2 unit and his eyes, needs to get is backside on the ABS training course run by Toyota. Its not just a case of looking for a code on the IT2. There are tools on the IT2 that can be used to monitor outputs from the wheel ABS sensors. It can also record freeze frame data that tells the tec what was happening when the ABS light came on. And if all else fails, the lazy git tec should have thourghly inspected things like tone wheels on driveshafts under the car. It`s NOT uncommon for tone wheels to split because they are usuall made of alloy. And where alloy is in contact with the metal C.V. joint is a prime target for corrosion. This corrosion tries to lift the alloy tone wheel. Obviously it cant because it is a continues ring...so it splits the tone wheel. This CAN be picked up on the IT2 diagnostic computer as a bad signal waveform.

"You need a full ABS system sir" god, it`s no wonder we get bad mouthed.

#5 SteveGT4

SteveGT4

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Toyota Model: Celica GT4 ST205 (import)

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:19 PM

I got the ABS light problem on my car, come MOT time just take the bulb out!

#6 desk

desk

• Registered Member
  • 5 posts
  • Toyota Model: corolla

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:34 PM

My corolla ABS light came on a few days ago....stayed on for 40 miles.
The next day back to normal.
Yesterday I took it to my local Toyota dealer, they checked it out and found no error codes on their computer.

#7 Benno_uk

Benno_uk

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:42 PM

I got the ABS light problem on my car, come MOT time just take the bulb out!

The tester should check for bulb operation during the test. Easily missed though if the bulb is out ;)

#8 Paul JJ

Paul JJ

• Registered Member
  • 9 posts
  • Toyota Model: STARLET (JAP IMPORT EP-91)

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:36 AM

My corolla ABS light came on a few days ago....stayed on for 40 miles.
The next day back to normal.
Yesterday I took it to my local Toyota dealer, they checked it out and found no error codes on their computer.

Have you sorted your ABS?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users