Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Wipers

trevor2

I have an Auris 1.6 T-Spirit, but don't yet understand the operation of the automatic wipers. They do not seem to be any different to normal manual intermittent wipers. There is nothing automatic in their operation.

Switch from Off to Auto - the wipers wipe forever until switched back to Off even though it's dry weather. The speed of wiping is controlled by manually rotating the stalk from - to +, just like normal manual wipers. The speed of wiping does not change *automatically* according to how hard it is raining or the speed of the vehicle. The wipers do not switch off when in Auto when it changes from wet to dry outside.

The Owners Manual says

"Rain-sensing windshield wipers"

"With "AUTO" selected, the wipers will operate automatically when the sensor detects falling rain. The system automatically adjusts wiper timing in accordance with rain volume and vehicle speed".

When I reported the problem to the local Toyota dealer the mechanic agreed that they were not operating properly. It was booked in for attention (along with squeaky brakes). When the vehicle was picked up the workshop manager said that there was nothing wrong with the wipers and that is how they are supposed to operate. He said that you have to manually switch the wipers on by moving the stalk from Off or Auto to Low Speed.

It does not make sense. I think the automatic wipers are faulty and would welcome second opinions. How are they supposed to work?

I have an Auris 1.6 T-Spirit, but don't yet understand the operation of the automatic wipers. They do not seem to be any different to normal manual intermittent wipers. There is nothing automatic in their operation.

Switch from Off to Auto - the wipers wipe forever until switched back to Off even though it's dry weather. The speed of wiping is controlled by manually rotating the stalk from - to +, just like normal manual wipers. The speed of wiping does not change *automatically* according to how hard it is raining or the speed of the vehicle. The wipers do not switch off when in Auto when it changes from wet to dry outside.

It does not make sense. I think the automatic wipers are faulty and would welcome second opinions. How are they supposed to work?

Your system has a problem, that is not normal. I've had my Auris for a week now, most of the days were dry but we had a few of light rain and heavy rain. The sensors work great. I just have mine in "Auto" all the time and never touch it. The wipers are usually off. When they detect rain, they start wiping and adjust speed according to the rain/speed. Once it is dry, they will stop.

Today while driving from work at night it wiped twice with no visible rain but there was a bit of mist and humidity (I work fairly near the ocean) so that was probably the reason. I have them in Auto all the time. You definitely need to have that checked.

There must be something wrong with your system and with your service manager. Living in a pretty wet area of the UK rain is normal and my auto wipers working normally to cope. Just as it says on the tin (manual).

Today while driving from work at night it wiped twice with no visible rain.

I don't know how the sensors work for the Auto wipers but mine seem to work less well at night (unless just coincidence of when had problems) and I have to override auto setting to manual wipe on some occasions.

TREVOR,

I have the same model Auris as yourself and i can definately say that there is a problem with your auto wipers.

Mine are left in AUTO at all times. The + and - on the stalk increase or reduce the sensitivity of the sensor not the speed of the wipers. The wipers should activate when it starts to rain then stop when it stops, mine do, so yours should do too.

Get it back into toyota and dont let the workshop manager tell you any different.

Hope you get it sorted

Mark

Thanks very much to everyone for your helpful replies. The car went back to the Toyota dealer today, and they now admit that there is a fault. They will fit a new sensor next week. Methinks it should not take four visits to fix something like this (assuming that they actually cure the problem on the fourth visit).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links