Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Clutch Creak

Vico69

Hi the clutch on my 04 D4D T-Spirit is very creaky and this is getting annoying! Anyone else had or more importantly solved this problem?

Mine's exactly the same mate (53 plate D4D T-spirit), drives me mad too.

I've tried a few lubricants (spray grease, cv grease, WD40 to name 3)

WD40 seems to work best for me but only lasts a week or 2.

It appears to rub off the lube on the clutch pedal shaft, then start creaking again.

I'm not sure if there's a permanent solution though.

Let me know if you find one :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi the clutch on my 04 D4D T-Spirit is very creaky and this is getting annoying! Anyone else had or more importantly solved this problem?

hi there,i got a 53 plate avensis1.8T4 couple of months ago.having same problem without any solutions so far.where exactly have you sprayed wd40 please,i took cover off under steering wheel and sprayed round the spring but didnt seem to help.

youre not joking about the annoying part

hi there,i got a 53 plate avensis1.8T4 couple of months ago.having same problem without any solutions so far.where exactly have you sprayed wd40 please,i took cover off under steering wheel and sprayed round the spring but didnt seem to help.

youre not joking about the annoying part

Mine creaks where the clutch rod goes through the bulkhead. If you press the clutch a few times whilst in the footwell with a torch, you should see where I mean. It doesn't last long though :(

• 1 year later...

This has been driving me nuts so I've had a few goes at it.

First attempt was to spray everything with lube spray, which worked for a few days.

If you take off the piece of trim around the pedals and look up, you will see a rod that goes through the bulkhead into the engine bay connected to the clutch pedal through a funny joint.

Next was to apply silicon grease around the rod that passes through the bulkhead to see if it is the rod rubbing on the bulkhead, but again the noise came back by the end of the street.

Latest attempt involves trying to track down the source of the creak. I pulled the pin out to disconnect the rod from the pedal and there was no creak when the pedal was pushed so lubricated the pin and all the bits around it. When I reassembled it, the creak was still there. Back out with the lube spray, this time with the trim off so I could direct it better. It wasnt until I sprayed up beside the pedal on the passenger side that the creak went. We'll see how long it lasts this time.

If anyone has the answer to this one, can you put the rest of us sufferers out of our misery?

Thanks

54 plate T2 D4D 65k miles

• 2 months later...

Couple of weeks ago i had the same problem on my 54reg d4d. I loosened the locknut which goes from the actuator spindle to the pedal then removed the linkage pin and it just seemed to "jump" back into position. Rebuilt up the linkage and tightened the nut back up and it has been fine for about 2.5 weeks now and it feels a lot lighter. It was as though it was adjusted too tight to start of with.

It worked for me B)

This happened to my D4D 55 plate (30k miles), and first the clutch was replaced under warranty, and then the pedal linkage (i think) was changed by the main dealer. Thus I believe the creaking is hiding another fault within the car.

• 2 weeks later...
This happened to my D4D 55 plate (30k miles), and first the clutch was replaced under warranty, and then the pedal linkage (i think) was changed by the main dealer. Thus I believe the creaking is hiding another fault within the car.

Hi folks,

I am having problems with my '08 2.2D Tspirit estate too. I have only done 18K and now the clutch makes a creeky noise when I drive off first

thing in the morning. It also makes the same noise if after driving for a few minutes I stop the car and then after ~30min I drive away.

The noise disappears after the first time the clutch engages with the fly-wheel, but it does reoccur every time I drive off.

I am going to contact the dealership and I would be grateful if I could head them in the right direction.

Many thanks

Earlier models of Avensis suffered with clutch pedal bushes wearing which can cause a similar noise

They also modified the master cylinder from about 05 onwards, so earlier models will have the old type cylinder which can be noisy or heavy (botrh incidences occur) The coating on the master cylinder surface was changed

Kingo :thumbsup:

Earlier models of Avensis suffered with clutch pedal bushes wearing which can cause a similar noise

They also modified the master cylinder from about 05 onwards, so earlier models will have the old type cylinder which can be noisy or heavy (botrh incidences occur) The coating on the master cylinder surface was changed

Kingo,

My clutch has been doing this for last 6 months. Is this a problem you should get seen to ASAP or can you live with it. I've been living with it as I'll probably have to replace clutch soon anyway (95k and very heavy). Despite it squeaking its drivable and I'm not quite ready to part with 700 quid.

Thanks

Mac

I had my master cylinder replaced under warranty about two years ago but recently it's started creaking again - I guess I'll just have to turn the stereo up. By the way, does anyone know how long a warranty repair is guaranteed for? Is it for the remainder of the car's initial three year warranty or does it get another three years starting from the date of the repair?

My 06 56 plate t180 had this problem so i took it for its 20k service couple of years ago and they said its common but they will look into it. Picked up car they said they had greased the pedal they showed me where and said it may come back, but if so remove pannel under steering colum and re-grease. About 1000 miles later it came back so i sprayed best part of a can of wd40 on the pedal shaft, spring under the dash and 20k on no noise.

I had my master cylinder replaced under warranty about two years ago but recently it's started creaking again - I guess I'll just have to turn the stereo up. By the way, does anyone know how long a warranty repair is guaranteed for? Is it for the remainder of the car's initial three year warranty or does it get another three years starting from the date of the repair?

Your warranty repair will last 12 months

If it's the master cylinder creak, it is just annoying and shouldnt let you down, if its the pedal bushes creaking, you might find the bush collapses after a while and you will have to get it done

!Removed! creak is back turned pin round 180 degrees lasted for about a week. IT IS !Removed! ANNOYING

• 2 weeks later...

Me again did some inspecting and found that when it creaks the linkage which goes to the pedal held by the pin shifts over to the right hand side of the car. I then loosened the locknut off and put two 8mm washers on the left hand side to stop it shifting across and to keep it central. After which i tightened up the locknut. This seems to be working well at the moment. Other cars it might shift to the other side the only way to find out is with a torch and to operate the pedal. It seems to me that the bush wears down too much in the pedal and doesn't keep it centralised for too long. Will let you know in a month or so how it goes. :yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

My T180 has also been creaking from clutch pedal when pressing it down.

I did the same as we all seem to do, spray WD40 which helped but not cured it.

I have some spray grease (as used on some chains) and will try that when I can't stand the noise any longer.

It's a bit like scratching nails down a black board , !Removed! annoying!! :angry:

Hi folks,

I am having problems with my '08 2.2D Tspirit estate too. I have only done 18K and now the clutch makes a creeky noise when I drive off first

thing in the morning. It also makes the same noise if after driving for a few minutes I stop the car and then after ~30min I drive away.

The noise disappears after the first time the clutch engages with the fly-wheel, but it does reoccur every time I drive off.

I am going to contact the dealership and I would be grateful if I could head them in the right direction.

Many thanks

Oz180,

I think you will find that the noise when first moving is part of the working of the car. I f you look in the manual (do not have it to hand at the moment) it mentions something about this noise when first releasing the clutch (every first full release). I have 07 T Spirit estate, and it also does this. There was something in the forum about it a while ago.

drive safly

Towt

So far so good no clutch creak washers seem to have done trick!!!!!!!!!!!!! yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• 10 months later...

does anyone know what locknut were talking about had a look and push rod is held in place with a pin

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links