vicegrips

• Registered Member
  • 8 posts
  • First Name:Mr.
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: 2007 Rav4 2.2 d4d xt4
  • Year: 2007

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:29 PM

hi guys. this is my first post and i need help. Purchased an 03 5dr rav4 d4d gx 85k a few months ago and have had a few faults. Engine management light comes on .....no power....down to idle. Switch off then on ....all ok. Coincedentally this has happened at exactly the same spot 3 times,coming out of a 30 zone and accelerating normally up a fairly steep hill. It seems that it only happens under load Also happened with my wife driving on motorway while overtaking in outside lane(scary stuff) Took the car to toyota garage last sat morning.
Diagnosed turbo fault 1200 fix. However after reading all the postings im not so sure if this might be the cure. Another fault is a slight miss/hiccup under normal acceleration, not all the time, but its def there. I also dont feel that the engine is running just right . Have replaced filters, oil, and both belts .(and bloody expensive waterpump ). No difference. Would def like a bit more get up and go .Any suggestions/experiences about chipping. So what do you think guys....sc/sp valves? turbo? Any help or comments would be greately appreciated. Many thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts
  • First Name:Don
  • Toyota Model: RAV 4 SR 2.2 D4D 150 in Decuma Grey and Daihatsu Sirion 2008 with Yaris mechanics.
  • Year: 2012

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:42 PM

Hi Vicegrips

Welcome to the club.

To start with I wouldn't chip it until you have got to the bottom of this - it could end up compounding the problem.

Have you had the DTCs read? It will almost certainly have recorded some if it has lost power to that extent. I get a bit concerned reading posts that have been diagnosed as turbo faults when the problem is so intermittent. A turbo is a mechanical lump that generally works or it doesn't. The usual failure is clouds of smoke or a consistent loss of power. The only aspect that could give an intermittent fault is the VRV - the vacuum unit that controls the variable rate nozzles. You should be able to see that working by revving the engine and watching the link move. You can also disconnect it and feel if the nozzles are free. I think more likely to be one of the ancilliary items like the pressure limit switch.

You can get somebody to read the codes or buy the reader for less than 30 delivered and do it yourself;

http://www.talktomyc...aders/mj004.htm

A member called pink minkee has posted something similar. Just do a search and have a read. I wouldn't rule out the HP fuel pump but again I would want those codes first.

Good luck.

#3 bothwell_buyer

bothwell_buyer

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter
  • 7,895 posts
  • First Name:Ian
  • Toyota Model: RAV4s, MR2s
  • Year: 1994

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:25 AM

Solution-
buy a 3 door RAV....!!!

(its a shame you're having problems though and getting ripped off - as wur man says; turbos either work or they don't.)
Go back and ask for your old turbo as you could sell it on eb*#

#4 codswallop

codswallop

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis Verso

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:42 PM

hi guys. this is my first post and i need help. Purchased an 03 5dr rav4 d4d gx 85k a few months ago and have had a few faults. Engine management light comes on .....no power....down to idle. Switch off then on ....all ok. Coincedentally this has happened at exactly the same spot 3 times,coming out of a 30 zone and accelerating normally up a fairly steep hill. It seems that it only happens under load Also happened with my wife driving on motorway while overtaking in outside lane(scary stuff) Took the car to toyota garage last sat morning.
Diagnosed turbo fault 1200 fix. However after reading all the postings im not so sure if this might be the cure. Another fault is a slight miss/hiccup under normal acceleration, not all the time, but its def there. I also dont feel that the engine is running just right . Have replaced filters, oil, and both belts .(and bloody expensive waterpump ). No difference. Would def like a bit more get up and go .Any suggestions/experiences about chipping. So what do you think guys....sc/sp valves? turbo? Any help or comments would be greately appreciated. Many thanks

My wifes car - Avensis Verso D4D (53 plate) had exactly the same problem a couple of days ago (she lost all power going up a hill and it wouldn't rev past 1,000rpm, engine light came on, car started OK after swithcing off ignition). Reading the forums, this seems to be a really common problem with the D4D engines. We bought the car from a relative, who also suffered the problem a few times (they had it from new), some parts were replaced apparently (not sure what), but the problem has come back each time and is very intermittent. The last occurrence was 11,000 miles ago under the ownership of my relative and the diagnosis at that time from Toyota was a turbo issue (1500+ replacement quoted) but they didn't fall for that, and neither do I. To me this seems more like an electrical issue than mechanical ?

I'm buying a code reader to get the logged error code(s) out and will go from there. Let us know how you get on ?

P.S. Possible fixes I've seen quoted on the forums are:

Suction Control Valve
Fuel Pump
Fuel filter
Turbo
EGR
MAF (I've cleaned this with carb cleaner and is was blackened)
Use Forte Diesel Treatment (I've got a can of similar to pour into the tank)

#5 bothwell_buyer

bothwell_buyer

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:24 AM

This is interesting - obviously Toyota use the same bits across various cars.....and the same engines across various cars too.
I wonder what benefit there might be if this forum could offer a sub-forum (forii?) which just deasl with particular engines?

I already use the MR2 and GT4 forums for the 3SGTE engine info.

Maybe a D4D forum. Not that I'm saying to detract from the RAV one - just to give us as users/owners a bit more info and a bit more clout when it comes to speaking with T.
Similar precedent exists in the UK, but they call it political parties, and they are somewhat inept. This one being more focussed and a definite agenda could be successful.....

Anybody know of a good forum to convert a lighting mast winch to electric?????

#6 codswallop

codswallop

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis Verso

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:05 PM

This is interesting - obviously Toyota use the same bits across various cars.....and the same engines across various cars too.
I wonder what benefit there might be if this forum could offer a sub-forum (forii?) which just deasl with particular engines?

I already use the MR2 and GT4 forums for the 3SGTE engine info.

Maybe a D4D forum. Not that I'm saying to detract from the RAV one - just to give us as users/owners a bit more info and a bit more clout when it comes to speaking with T.
Similar precedent exists in the UK, but they call it political parties, and they are somewhat inept. This one being more focussed and a definite agenda could be successful.....

Anybody know of a good forum to convert a lighting mast winch to electric?????

As you rightly say, many parts are common across a manufacturers range - especially the engines. With the high occurence of this type of issue across the many models the D4D engine is used, it could be useful to have a dedicated diesel forum.

#7 petrolhead

petrolhead

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Toyota Model: yaris t sport

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:51 PM

the fault is the turbo waste gate sticks giving too much boost then engine goes into fail safe mode . you could clean and lube the waste gate rod / pivot area but still may need new turbo

#8 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts
  • First Name:Don
  • Toyota Model: RAV 4 SR 2.2 D4D 150 in Decuma Grey and Daihatsu Sirion 2008 with Yaris mechanics.
  • Year: 2012

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

D4D doesn't have a wastegate but it does have pressure limiting valve/switches. I would try to get any fault codes from the ECU first.

#9 bothwell_buyer

bothwell_buyer

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

D4D doesn't have a wastegate but it does have pressure limiting valve/switches. I would try to get any fault codes from the ECU first.

I'd buy another 3 door petrol RAV.....

#10 petrolhead

petrolhead

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Toyota Model: yaris t sport

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:15 PM

ring toyota GB custumer care have a good long moan and they may help with cost ?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users