Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water In Boot

bernie+4

Hi Shaun

Ping me an email at accoladecarpentry@tiscali.co..uk and i will send you some pics. I find this sight a total nightmare to navigate. Taken me 20minuets to find this page.

Hi Pete, I have emailed you too. if you want I can upload the pictures on here if you want.

There you go and thank you for the pictures.

"Pictures attached. Two of the joints at the top of the car where roof meets the wings and two of the boot seats."

post-125194-0-29737100-1425153678_thumb.

post-125194-0-42211800-1425153694_thumb.

post-125194-0-79196200-1425153710_thumb.

post-125194-0-78589700-1425153727_thumb.

No Probs thanks for putting them up. Hopefully it will solve the problem for some other members.

Hi Shaun

This may be of interest to you although my car is an Avensis Hatch. I have had a problem with water entering the boot, collecting mainly in the drivers side floor well. My offside rear light was taking in water and at first I suspected this was the point of entry. After removing the light and clearing the water and refitting, the water was still getting in.

After reading, i think it was on this site that there could be a problem where the roof and rear quarter panels meet i stuffed a big wedge of thick tissue up inside the rear wings on both sides of the car, which is accessible from the boot. After the next rain the tissue was wet but the boot well was dry, so the water was obviously entering the car from the top and not getting in through the lights.

After close examination i found tiny cracks on the joints at the top left and right corners in the hatch gutters. I sealed these and so far happy days all dry.

The water was running down the inside of the wings entering the light cluster and filling up the floor well. Next job is to change the rubber hatch seats as these are fractured, which I,m guessing could let the hatch travel further than is needed to close and cause extra stress to these joints.

Cheers Pete,

Since my last post, I taped every seam or join, one at a time, starting at the bottom and working up. It made zero difference to the leak. I didn't think there was any point taking it for repair until i had something specific to fix. So still baffled i had the inner lining removed from the drivers side, to expose the rear vent and the internals of the wing.

There was nothing obvious and the modified rear vent was proved to not be the culprit. My leak seams to be coming from the seam between the rear wing and the mudguard dome. I taped little pieces of kitchen roll everywhere i could reach on the inner wing expecting to track a leak from the roof seam down to the floor pan. The only pieces to get wet were little pieces i had stuffed into the crevice between rear wing and the mudguard dome. These were the only bits to get wet. The roof looked ok.

As best as I can tell, rain runs down the outside of the wing, then, at the rear of the wheel arch, it turns under the wheel arch and runs down the inside of the wheel arch close to the wing. Some water must be getting through the seam here. The leak is worst when the car is parked nose up. This guides more water into the back of the wheel arch. Once inside, it is hard to see the water track, as it follows the crevice between rear wing and the mudguard dome, until the floor seam sealant, which it follows to the rear corner under the tail light.

Can't prove it until I try sealing it, which I'm currently working out how to do.

Maybe this seam cracked when the other side of the car was hit.

Cheers

Hi Adam

I just cleaned the joints by wiping and drying and i had a paint touch up tube with a brush. The paint was quite thick as it was old. I brushed this into the areas and smoothed it out. Being the same colour as the original paint it looks ok. I guess some of the paint was drawn into the joint and so far no leaks.

• 2 months later...

Finally after 18 months, I think I have all the leaks sorted. The last one was confirmed to be in the rear of the rear drivers side wheel arch, where it meets the wing. The seal applied in the factory was a fraction shorter than the seam. Parking the car nose up let water run through this seam. It's been over a week now, and with plenty of rain, the rear has remained dry.

A number of guys I know personally, who mentioned that they also had Toyota's with leaky rears, (sadly after I had purchased mine), said I'd never get it sorted, but thankfully perseverance has paid of.

Toyota, themselves, walked away from any responsibility, because there was a leak due to a botched repair on the passenger side, even though this leaking side was 'as factory'.

Regardless this is the first and last Avensis for me.

Cheers

This is a pretty common issue on most cars..

The issue is around the rubber seals at the back of the lights moving / loosing the elasticity.

Easy fix it to remove and put Silicone around the top and around the holder.

This is a pretty common issue on most cars..

The issue is around the rubber seals at the back of the lights moving / loosing the elasticity.

Easy fix it to remove and put Silicone around the top and around the holder.

Hi,

Not in this case. That issue had been thoroughly checked ages back, with new seals being fitted just in case. As had the rear door seal, rear vent seals and a bunch of other possibilities like door fixing points, bumber fixing points, cracks etc. Nothing even slowed the leak on the drivers side. We were at a complete loss until I tried isolating parts of the car body with plastic sheet and duct tape, and carried out my own water tests.

After many tests I isolated the wheel arch as the route for water entry. But only if the car was parked in a nose up position and the water test maintained for at least 30 minutes. There was no sign of water ingress, if starting from dry, for shorter durations of testing. The work shops i used, were testing on flat floors and were calling the car completely water tight after say a 10 minute test. I'd take her home pull up the driveway, or park in, for example a car park with a slopping surface for drainage, and if it then rained for more than half an hour I'd find plenty of water inside.

If this type of leak on this side of my car was common i should have had it sorted over a year ago.

One reason I am posting is to highlight, the fact that the methods used by workshops to test for leaks doesn't always replicate the leak conditions, thus leaving them stumped.

Cheers

Grogey

It is good this description to back it up with pictures for clarity...

• 4 weeks later...

Water in my boot beasment avensis verso d4d any ideas as to how that's,getting in??? Both bungs are out!!!

• 2 years later...

I was finding water in my tyre well and jack compartment.......turned out it was a crap fitting of an offside quarter light glass that was leaking like a seive....still havent got around to fixing it. The t*at who fitted it, wanted the same amount of money again to fix the leak he left!!!.....58 quid!

• 5 years later...

20230605_103449.thumb.jpg.9915db64db269ccf44b20fecc16bae99.jpgmy boot is  also wet in my 04 avensis. the spare wheel was full of water and  the tool well area too?i have ran a hose over but cant find the problem? But when i  drive it its wet  again?  likely area could be the vents . what are they there for? Can I just tape them up ?

And I'm trying to find out where I can buy the rubber grommets I'm missing?

Edited by Avensis T2 2004