Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cigarette Lighter Socket Won,t Work

Manxrav

Not that I smoke but my Dad does. He came in the other day and said it,s not working in the Rav. I dont know whether it,s the fuse thats gone or just the lighter insert that,s given up the ghost. You push it in to the socket and it stops in and doesn,t come back out when it is ready to ( try writing that without sounding a perv), why they still have them in cars defeats me but I suppose it appeases some folk

Clare

Clare, the fag (hope there's no Americans watching :unsure:) lighter is off a separate 15 amp fuse.

If you've got a phone charger or some accessory with an indicator light on, stick that in the socket (oh, er misses) and see if it lights up. That should tell you if it is the lighter itself or fuse/wiring to the socket.

I've never likes the fag lighter socket as a power outlet. It a bit of the "scart" socket of the automotive world. It's evolved that way, so we are stuck with it I suppose.

Hi

Don't get too excited... but I find if you 'wiggle' it around a bit it may work (poor electrical connection?). A blown fuse is the favorite remedy though assuming you don't have to have the ignition key on accessory position or some such to make it active?

DaveH

Not that I smoke but my Dad does. He came in the other day and said it,s not working in the Rav. I dont know whether it,s the fuse thats gone or just the lighter insert that,s given up the ghost. You push it in to the socket and it stops in and doesn,t come back out when it is ready to ( try writing that without sounding a perv), why they still have them in cars defeats me but I suppose it appeases some folk

Clare

I have a problem with the power socket in the central console. I normally plug my GPS into this but is no longer working, but does work in the cig socket. Are they on separate fuses or a loose connection?

The most reliable way is to pull the socket out and check the voltage at the wires behind.

I have a problem with the power socket in the central console. I normally plug my GPS into this but is no longer working, but does work in the cig socket. Are they on separate fuses or a loose connection?

Yes the console and boot power sockets are on a separate fuse to the cigarette lighter.

Anchorman is quite correct, going straight to the back of the socket with voltmeter is the most direct way to find the fault and is what I'd do. I'm never always sure of different members ability though.

If you don't have a voltmeter, or if it baffles you, or if you can't fine the fuse, one thing you could try is plugging your GPS into the boot socket. If it works, then it's not the power socket fuse. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't tell you anything - it could be wiring (the wiring for the two sockets is common from Battery to the power socket relay output) or the fuse.

Remember you have to test all this with ignition accessories turned on. My apologies if I'm insulting your intelligence, like I said, never sure how technical I should get.

Cheers

Sorted, it was the lighter that was at fault and not the socket-thanks for advice

Clare