Toyota Owners Club - Toyota Forum Messages

Review Your Toyota

Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours, review your Toyota now

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimmypewtress

Mk3 Hilux Front Hubs

7 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm into mountain biking and have just bought a Mk3 Hilux to carry my bike about in. Never having owned a 4x4 before and not knowing much about cars I wondered if somebody could tell me about the free-wheeling hubs at the front.

If I want to use four-wheel drive and manually lock the hubs, does this lock the diff as well or not? ie do I need to be on loose ground? Also, what happens if I leave the hubs locked but use the 2H box? Am I right in thinking that even though no power will go through the wheels they will still be connected to all the running gear, causing drag and therefore using more fuel?

Any information or explanations much appreciated

you should only use your 4wd system on off road conditions ie snow, mud grass,

using the 4wd drive on roads for every day use can damage your truck, as the surf do not have a centre diff

Thanks a lot for your help there surf_ltd

no probs mate anytime

Hi

I'm into mountain biking and have just bought a Mk3 Hilux to carry my bike about in. Never having owned a 4x4 before and not knowing much about cars I wondered if somebody could tell me about the free-wheeling hubs at the front.

If I want to use four-wheel drive and manually lock the hubs, does this lock the diff as well or not? ie do I need to be on loose ground? Also, what happens if I leave the hubs locked but use the 2H box? Am I right in thinking that even though no power will go through the wheels they will still be connected to all the running gear, causing drag and therefore using more fuel?

Any information or explanations much appreciate

I have a 3rd gen surf..and it has a centre diff so you CAN use the 4wd on tarmac...Quite useful I find in the wet!

I have a 3rd gen surf..and it has a centre diff so you CAN use the 4wd on tarmac...Quite useful I find in the wet!

Why do you need 4wd on tarmac, just wears out the tyres quicker.