Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help! Gear Box On My Gt4 Wrc

ajcluck

hi, i have just bought a 95 gt4 and i am not sure wgat is wrong with the gear box, it changes really smoothly when driving normally, but when u go over 6000rpm its really hard to change gear! please tell me it is only needing a oil change?

hi, i have just bought a 95 gt4 and i am not sure wgat is wrong with the gear box, it changes really smoothly when driving normally, but when u go over 6000rpm its really hard to change gear! please tell me it is only needing a oil change?

is the clutch ok? no sign of it going? is it doing this in all gear and only on high revs?

cheers for replyin, no the clutch is fine, no slipping, no its just 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third only at high revs tho, all other times it is smooth as u like, think there mite be a slight burning smell when u boot it aswell!

from experiance i would try gearbox oil change first, if this didnt cure it i would be tempted to say that the syncromesh for 2nd and 3rd are on their way out. i have this problem with mine at the moment but only going in to second but its intermitent and doesnt really worry me at the mo as day to day driving doesnt requier me to take my car to such high revs.

hope this helps matey

cheers buddy, ye just got the car so still enjoyin the power at the mo. is there a tap to bleed the gearbox? if it is the syncromesh, how much is it to buy a new gear box?

I had the exact same problem on my 205, over 6k revs going into 2nd and 3rd it just wouldn't go into gear.

Is your biting point quite low? If it is, the clutch may not be fully disengaging, not allowing it to go into gear smoothly. Try adjusting this at the clutch pedal, there's a threaded pushrod at the top of the pedal assembly with a nut on it, loosen the nut and wind the rod back. This solved my problem, always try the obvious and free fixes first, before you spend money on something you may not need.

Hope this helps.

cheers buddy, ye i kinda think of the worst case then hope it gets better. it does do into gear but its a bit of a struggle, its a shame cause its a beast in a cage at the moment! how much do i unscrew it by?

cheers buddy, ye i kinda think of the worst case then hope it gets better. it does do into gear but its a bit of a struggle, its a shame cause its a beast in a cage at the moment! how much do i unscrew it by?

mate mine did this and shortly after the cluth went. didnt feel as if it was slipping or anything! got the clutch fitted and it was fine. i have since replaced the gear box tho as 1 of the bearings went and i found a cheap 1 on eBay for 150 quid i think and had only 40k miles on it.

Quite likely to be the sugar cube on the gearchange mech, on the outside of the gearbox. This has probably worn, it can be turned throu 90 degrees to get a bit more life out of it. New parts from Toyota are only about £15.

Small adjustments make a lot of difference, in my case i wound it back about 8mm, do it little by little and keep checking, by feeling the bite, when you feel happy the bite is fairly high ( not too high) give it a road test and see.

Mine's had a clutch and cables about 7k miles ago, so in my case i new it wasn't the clutch, and it didn't realy crunch into gear, which would indicate a worn synchomesh.

cheers lads for all the info. away to change the oil 2morrow and take it form there. hopefully it doesnt need a new gearbox!

i changed my gearbox oil, it seems to be ok, it made a slight difference, i think the biting point is to low, and some of you have suggested that i can alter the biting point, where do i find it to adjust it?

Get urself into the drivers footwell, head first. have a look at the clutch pedal assembly, towards the top of it you'll see a threaded silver rod that goes through the bulkhead, on the other end of the rod there's a nut. Loosen the nut and wind the rod back into the bulkhead, gripping it with a pair of pliers.

There's very little space down there so it's very awkward.

Don't go mad with it.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

hey lads, jst like to say thanks to all who helped, i adjusted the bitting point on my clutch and it worked, much to the dislike of a random impreza driver who got totally raped! plannin on getting sum serious mods soon, so will be back on to ask more questions!

cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links