Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattle In Dash

Fred6370

Anyone know what the problem actually is?

Getting a car in on work next week with this problem, I actually think the sound was coming frome between the dash and the front windscreen... But just want some idea before the car comes in for repairing. This is not a big problem here in norway, but seems like it is a bigger issue on other places!

Getting a car in on work next week with this problem, I actually think the sound was coming frome between the dash and the front windscreen... But just want some idea before the car comes in for repairing. This is not a big problem here in norway, but seems like it is a bigger issue on other places!

First Check the over head compartment for rattling sunglasses, the sound from that box got me VERY confused once, it sounded like the noise came from the dash.

First Check the over head compartment for rattling sunglasses, the sound from that box got me VERY confused once, it sounded like the noise came from the dash.

I had to laugh when I read this......I had that exact problem a few months back, i was furious as it was driving me crazy and actually booked it into toyota. I discovered it was my sunglasses just as i pulled in the carpark at my dealer!!!! Luckily it was also going in for squeaky brakes so i didnt look a total idiot :lol:

I still have that problem and its in the dash. I don't have anything in the overhead bin except papers. I reported this already first time noise was gone for a while but returned second time the noises were still there. Next review I expect this to be reviewed and fixed. I think the noises in my case are on the side parts of the dashboard next to the small windows. Lets wait and see if they really fix it this time like they did with the noisy breaks.

I still have that problem and its in the dash. I don't have anything in the overhead bin except papers. I reported this already first time noise was gone for a while but returned second time the noises were still there. Next review I expect this to be reviewed and fixed. I think the noises in my case are on the side parts of the dashboard next to the small windows. Lets wait and see if they really fix it this time like they did with the noisy breaks.

Mine has been quiet so far except when it's hot and I turn the AC on, then the whole dash (especially the area around the radio) rattles and squeals.

Where did you fix your noisy breakes in Portugal? Mine is starting to squeak when I break (1600km done so far) and the servicing at the Prior Velho shop didn't impress me (they made that mistake with the parking kit)

Hi Fred, I have the same problem with the Corolla Sedan E-15, it seems that the sound is from the area where the air flows to the front glass, on the dashboard. It seems like the plastics-grid aren't well fixed in that area.

Hope you can fix it, and tell us what's the solution, since mine is with the same problem...

Cheers

No news so far, had the car in, but the owner was going on vacation, so not much time for repair... Did not have a chance to test drive the car after the modification. Just have to wait and see if he comes back!

No news so far, had the car in, but the owner was going on vacation, so not much time for repair... Did not have a chance to test drive the car after the modification. Just have to wait and see if he comes back!

Can you please tell us what modification was done?

Thanks

Well... I do not know the english word for it.... The stuff we used.... is it called foam maybe? It is some sound damping material we use at work... I think the rattle was between the front windshield and the dashboard, so we loosen the dash, and put a strip of this material between the windshield and dash... I actually think you might just push the stuff between there without loosen the dash, it will not show, and it is a easy way to figure out if that is where the sound is coming frome.

But as I said, do not know if this repair is a solution... Have to wait and see...

My Auiris has a slight rattle from the dash - the problem seems to be the upper glove box lid. Its made of 2 parts which don't seem to be molded together properly, resulting in the rattle. If my passnger opens the glove box and supprts the underside the rattle stops.

Well its finally happened to mine now. I thought I had got away with this one but no it's not to be. 14,000 miles and it has hit with a vengence. Left side of dash and it's like a box of pills be shaken. My wife has spent the last 50 miles trying to kill it without any success. It's completely infuriating. Something has obviously come loose. Just took longer with my car than you others. :angry:

Well... I do not know the english word for it.... The stuff we used.... is it called foam maybe? It is some sound damping material we use at work... I think the rattle was between the front windshield and the dashboard, so we loosen the dash, and put a strip of this material between the windshield and dash... I actually think you might just push the stuff between there without loosen the dash, it will not show, and it is a easy way to figure out if that is where the sound is coming frome.

But as I said, do not know if this repair is a solution... Have to wait and see...

Fred, is it possible for you, to take some photos of that foam, and the procedures to fix the rattles on the dashboard?

Or is there any scheme or technical diagram where we can see how the dashbord can be moved or taken of, in order to aplly the foam, on the Corolla-E15 or Auris-E15 ?

Cheers

After 2k miles my rattles are gone..except one. The audio control buttons on steering wheel when it is really cold. When I cover them with hand it is quiet. I am not sure If I can use anything to "lubricate" it.

My Auiris has a slight rattle from the dash - the problem seems to be the upper glove box lid. Its made of 2 parts which don't seem to be molded together properly, resulting in the rattle. If my passnger opens the glove box and supprts the underside the rattle stops.

I had the same problem...I used sellotape / duck-tape to pad out behind the upper glove box catch which has helped a lot! Only prob is that it doesn't click shut as easily cos need to press it down for catch to click into place but once it does the lid and catch is held tightly down in place and can't rattle. :)

Oh dear,Toyotas rattling trim very worrying.Ours has had a couple of intermittent rattles but could just be junk in the glove box.Have to see if it develops.

id had a rattle which seemed to be comming from the front glove box but when i brought it in it turned out to be from within the passenger seat.. The garage were really great and let me sit in while they took the whole seat apart. Turned out to be a lil foam washer missing from inbetween to metal bars which operate the seat mech. pretty easy to fix once u know where it is..

Hello,

I have also rattle in the dash and I decide to fix it on my way.

Here is line of picture how You can do it.

On my Auris rattle is white connector with black holder which rattles in driveing. ( You can tap it wit fingers and you will hear same sound. )

For that job I took 1,5 hour for demounting and mounting!

Here is the pictures...

Connector which rattles

dsc00102go6.th.jpg

Position of connector

dsc00103ms1.th.jpg

Arrow to the bootom is connector, arrow to the up suggest is to add some material because on that spot dasboard have contact with car and have free space to make noise

dsc00104ik8.th.jpg

Connector which rattles when you tap it with your fingers

dsc00105io1.th.jpg

Ventilation for front window can also rattle

dsc00106us7.th.jpg

Arrow to up, putt some material because also have space between dashboard and car body, circle is screws which hold airbag which you must unscrew to remove dashboard ( from the glove department, remove it )

As you ca see I use sponge 5 mm to reduce noise under the dash

dsc00107ba0.th.jpg

As You can see, almost no screws which holds dashboard !!

dsc00108lj5.th.jpg

I also use sponge in the center console

dsc00109xv6.th.jpg

Very important spots, on this spots dashboard hold to car body!! If you remember we add some materials to this spots on the car so we will never ever have free space to rattles

dsc00110hl0.th.jpg

Same spots from the side, and I also add foam to the edge because this part goes between front glas and car body

dsc00111yn1.th.jpg

2nd part...

Spots which holds airbag ( never disconnect cable from airbag!! Remove it without disconnecting!!

dsc00112rm5.th.jpg

Just before returning dashboard back, check everything which can make noise just to be sure

dsc00114qx5.th.jpg

Few spots just to be sure that everything is on it's place

dsc00115dn6.th.jpg

On the left only one screw holds dashboard

Few spots where I add sponge

dsc00116ea2.th.jpg

Blue circle holds taho

dsc00117zi9.th.jpg

Everythin on it's place

dsc00118gr2.th.jpg

I hope that You will figure it out if I miss something to say, it's easy to do that all!!

If You do that you will not recognized Your car when you will go out for driveing.

P.S. Sorry maybe for my english, i try to explain on the best way :rolleyes:

Regards, 042.gif

Fred, is it possible for you, to take some photos of that foam...

It's the foam they put in mainboard boxes for computers or sometimes they come when you buy a new camera, it's wrapped around it, almost all Sony Cybershots comes with that.

Also if you're going to use a lot of foam, I suggest something fireproof, just in case.

drobotic What a fantastic insight to the inner workings of an Auris Dashboard. Many thanks for your time, input, and information.

I currently have a T180 with dashboard rattles if only I was in a position to present this to my Toyota Dealer so may be they could sort out a fix.

I currently have a T180 with dashboard rattles if only I was in a position to present this to my Toyota Dealer so may be they could sort out a fix.

Sometimes You must do it on Your own, because dealer always held by the book, they don't want to fix anything which is not broken.

They never want to improvise, but sometimes it must be done on non official way.

Like we say in Croatia " if man can land on the moon, there is nothing which can not be done "

Regards, 042.gif

GREAT WORK !

Thank's a lot !

I have the new Corolla Sedan E15, and the dashboard is diferent, but almost identical to the Auris.

Maybe one day I will do some homeWork on it...

Cheers

Anyone know the ideal spot to to stick some foam into the top glove box (photo?). I am 100% sure the sound is coming from there especially at slow speeds on bumpy roads, but I don't seem to be able to stop it unless I drive with the box open :angry:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links