Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Good Tyre Makes

edwardio

Ok I need new alloys, which I've found the ones I like (£380). The thing is, I need to decide on which tyres to get with them. The choices are:

Federal SS-595 (or equivalent)[premium performance tyre] +£40 (to get the right size)

Avons ZZ3's +£100

Toyo TR-1 +£130

So does anyone know if Federals are any good? Or are Avons better? or break the bank for Toyo's?

Federals are obviously a budget/economy tyre.. having never used them personally I can't comment on them... Avons on the other hand I have used, never had any problems with them but I personally feel that the Toyo's are slightly better in the grip department.

It really depends on how you intend driving.. if you just pottle about the Federals will probably do the job, If you like a bit of spirited driving I would go for the Avons or the Toyo's (I would get Toyo's)

Well I'm going for the Federals in the end. I know they are cheaper than the others, but just keeping costs down for now. I've got 5 rims in all, but I'm dropping the spare when my new ones turn up. I've decided to have a tyre filler instead, should I get a puncture. In addition to that, I'm taking 2 of my current tyre off & keeping them as they've got loads of meat of them still. Therefore I'll keep one of those in the boot. So the filler can fill the tyre should I need it plus I have the replacement tyre already there!!

Then another spare after that!!!

I didn't buy the Fed's until I'd read alot about them, as I'd never heard of them before.

Everywhere I looked said they were good, even better than Avons most of the time.

feds are good, ive used on the micra and on the Glanza, the best tyres you can get are either yokos or toyos!!

Bridgestone, Pirelli, Goodyear, Michilin ring any bells with you ?

Yoko's are shocking in the wet, Toyo's better but not a patch on any of the above for all round conditions. I wouldn't drive on Federals in any car with over 100bhp.

• 2 weeks later...
cant go wrong with perelli's got them on my 140 vvti coners like a dream

Depends which pirellis you go for.

The stock one which came with my car were pants... and are prone to flat spots... after 5k miles mine were the shape o f 50p!

The Pzero neros pirellis are better but pricey.

Michilin and Bridgestones are possibly the worse tyres to get for a lowered sporty car... there compound are far too hard.... so they will last forever, but far too harsh a ride.. and in the wet they are rubbish.

Toyo's T1R - for the price you cant go wrong.

I went to buy 4 tyres for my 205. Wanted Toyos which I got down to £91ea fitted and balanced for 225/45/16 (Blackcircles.com). Ended up taking the opportunity to get wheels and got a 17" Mangels Maxima with Toyo Proxes T1-Rs for £495 delivered, balanced and all fittings including 20 nuts (Alloywheels.com). I only wanted them for the tyres and they are absolutely brilliant! I love them. :D

The stock one which came with my car were pants... and are prone to flat spots... after 5k miles mine were the shape o f 50p

Find that hard to believe if you have ABS, also sporty car and 140bhp Celica is a bit of a paradox.

The stock one which came with my car were pants... and are prone to flat spots... after 5k miles mine were the shape o f 50p

Find that hard to believe if you have ABS, also sporty car and 140bhp Celica is a bit of a paradox.

Have you driven a 140?, they make a Gen 6 feel like a pregnant Whale!

The Pirelli P Zero Assim. are well known for going out of shape when fitted to the rear of a Gen 7.

Have you driven a 140?, they make a Gen 6 feel like a pregnant Whale!

The Pirelli P Zero Assim. are well known for going out of shape when fitted to the rear of a Gen 7.

Yep have driven 3 of them, not a patch on an SS2 in the performance stakes. Noticeably slower. I would however say they were faster than a 3SFE Gen6, but then again a 3SFE gen6 isn't much faster than a 2.0 petrol Avensis, much like the 140bhp Gen7. Feel quite gutless to be honest.

feds are good, ive used on the micra and on the Glanza, the best tyres you can get are either yokos or toyos!!

Bridgestone, Pirelli, Goodyear, Michilin ring any bells with you ?

Yoko's are shocking in the wet, Toyo's better but not a patch on any of the above for all round conditions. I wouldn't drive on Federals in any car with over 100bhp.

i have to agree, i had federals on my 316 bmw and they were fine, good tyres infact.... and when i got wheels for the ss3 i decided "sure the federals done a good job on the bmw lets go for them" big mistake!! They cant handle the power at all!! I need to get new tyres :unsure:

After all my research on Federals, my new wheels came with Falkens instead. I've had them on my old rims before and not had a problem with them.

I've had my new rims on for a couple of weeks now and the Falkens are fine, not really pushed the yet but no probs and quite nice.

I used to have Pirelli P6000s on my Fiesta Zetec-s that was about 125bhp and they were rubbish in the wet always spinning, iv got Toyo TR-1 on my gen 6 celica gt, I find they have plenty of grip awesome round corners :D

We've got Goodyear F1 Eagles on our 6th gen - good tyre, no complaints - not sure how much they are now though.

I went to buy 4 tyres for my 205. Wanted Toyos which I got down to £91ea fitted and balanced for 225/45/16 (Blackcircles.com). Ended up taking the opportunity to get wheels and got a 17" Mangels Maxima with Toyo Proxes T1-Rs for £495 delivered, balanced and all fittings including 20 nuts (Alloywheels.com). I only wanted them for the tyres and they are absolutely brilliant! I love them. :D

Hi there, Have you got any pictures of your celica with the mangels maxima on it? I like the look of them and want to see what it looks like on a gen 6 as i'm tempted!

thanks

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well here's my input after winning 59 illegal high speed races and beating Skylines, Wrx,s and Evos in my 218hp gen 6 SS3. This car is highly modified in terms of weight removal and runs Tein suspension

It depends what you want. If you want longevity and good rim protection a heavier 2 ply sidewall tyre is best. If you want performance on a small engine..go light

The lightest performance tyre is the Toyo T1R. I run these. They are one ply sidewall so your car will sway a little but i find them very predictable and they've barely slipped in 5 years..mind you i don't have an ordinary celica. If you want stability use 20 mm spacers/adaptors

There is a reason they used T1R,s and Volk rims on Fast and Furious 3 Tokyo Drift.

T1R,s are also the quietest tyres I've found

Here's the thing. If you run a standard 17" rim on a 2000 celica with a 2 ply 10 kg tyre..you can gain better grip and an extra 10hp by using a lighter wheel and tyres. I will explain at the end.

The Federal FDR2 has surprisingly good reviews for a cheap tyre. My favorite tyres for a 2 ply is the GTRadial Champiro 228 or Bax if you don't mind slightly more road noise but longer wear

Apart from the T1R and 228, Bax...very few brands provide reliable grip in the wet. Advans and Bridgestone Re002 will at the cost of robbing you of power..

If your gen 7 weighs 1200 kg is it? Divide this by 190 HP = 6.3kg of car body weight for every 1hp. So every 1kg of body weight you shed you are gaining, or more accurately 'freeing up' 1 HP.

Rims are part of the centrifugal drive train weight along with pistons and flywheel. The further out from the hub the weight is the more power required to turn it. So a rough formula is 4:1 for rims and 5:1 for tyres on your driving wheels...meaning 1 kilo shed from the rims is equivalent to 4 kilo of body weight lost

I run 15" Volk TE37,s weighing 4.5kg and 205/55 T1R,s weighing 8.6kg each. Compared to a 17" standard alloy rim weighing 8.6kg and a 10kg tyres its a 10 HP difference. Work it out like this

Rear: 10 kg + 8.6kg =18.6kg x 2 =37.2kg

Front: 8.6 x 4 = 34.4kg x 2 = 68.8kg

Tyres: 10 x 5 = 50 kg x 2 =100kg

100 + 68.8 + 37.2 = 206kg Total

Change to a 15" Volk and T1R..

Rear: 17.2 kg

Front: 4.5 x 4 = 18 x 2 = 36 kg

Tyres 8.6 x 5 = 43kg x 2 = 86 kg

Total: 139.2 kg

206 kg - 139 kg = 67 kg difference 67÷6.3= 10.6hp

A lighter rim/ tyres combo improves grip because your suspension rebound is better able to keep your wheel on the road, heavy wheels tend to bounce. This is at its worst on bumpy corners in the wet.

Tests on a flat surface may show low profile tyres grip better..but not on a bumpy road or track

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links