Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

End Of The Road For Our Rolla I Fear

T600

Having sold the Carlos just over a week ago, I think we might be about to lose the Rolla too.

It got a heavy smash from behind when my g/f was driving home from work today, and as it's only worth about a grand, I fear it may not be an economic repair.

Of course the important thing is that nobody was hurt, but it's still rather upsetting as we've had the car from new and apart from the sentimental value it's been a great car, possibly the best we've ever had. Other than the smashed rear end, and a few other little car park dings, it's in immaculate condition. And to cap it all I spent about 5 hours at the weekend claying and polishing it 'til it shone like new. To us it was worth far more than the insurer is likely to pay out as it was low mileage, ultra reliable and has 100% full Toyota service history from new; almost 12 years ago.

I guess we'll find out in the next few days whether it can be saved, but I'm not holding out much hope to be honest. The bumper is flattened, the boot floor and tailgate are both bent so the latter won't close, and the tailgate has damaged part of the bodywork where it was squashed against it.

:(

Nightmare mate.

Like you said, nobody was hurt so that's some consolation.

If it is to go, let's hope that the next car you get serves you as well as this one has !

Sorrry to hear that but glad nobody was hurt.

Let's hope the insurance company acknowledges that the car has been looked after and been maintained for all its life............but don't hold your breath

Thanks guys. We're still hoping it can be saved, but I'm kind of preparing myself for disappointment on that score. If it were a newer car I'd have no doubt about that, but with such a low book value I think it'll be touch and go.

I think gap insurance for the MR2 is going to be a must if I keep it; I would be gutted if that had suffered the same fate. I've only had that for a few years, but again it's FTSH and, mint condition and has averaged only about 2K per annum, so probably worth about twice what the insurance companies would pay out on it.

But yes, nobody hurt is very much the main thing; the rear of the rolla did a nice job of absorbing the impact, though I think the speeds were way under 30mph as it was heavy traffic, and presumably the guy slowed at least a bit before hitting the Rolla.

Has anyone any experience of buying cars back off an insurer? I imagine the insurer has to use new components, whereas maybe I could get the chassis straightened and then fit a tailgate from a scrappy, which might put it back on the road at a more reasonable cost. Any thoughts on this anyone?

?Glad no-one was hurt (goes without saying really) but I honestly think that with the boot floor damaged they will write it off as that alone could prove to be "more than the car is worth".

Hope I'm wrong and they can sort it for you... good luck.

main thing everyone okay may right it off as if the tail gate doesnt open could mean the support strands of the car are damaged which has disfigured the body and Shell making it to expensive to repair. See how it goes wish you luck

Cheers guys. We're getting a quote tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

Actually the tailgate opens, it just won't quite close properly, or lock - have to hold it closed with a luggage strap. Looking at the back of the car the tailgate is in about the right place, but the striker that the latch is supposed to engage into is about an inch and a half forward of where it should be. I think the corner of the other car must have been smack in the middle of the bumper; damage to bumper suggests the same too.

I suspect the other driver was cutting into the lane behind ours when the traffic came to a halt and that's maybe why he didn't have room to stop. Would also make sense because 100 yards up the road the right lane is turn right only.

gutted tony!

if it had to be scrapped can i put an order in :P

Yes, if it is scrapped I'm seriously thinking of getting it back and breaking it myself because there are so many almost mint parts on it. The interior is absolutely perfect, and much of the mechanicals are like new. I'm sure we can sort you out with a few bits if that happens.

Or if I decide not to do that I'll let you know what they want for it and you can break it. It's transportable because it still drives, and checked last night all the rear lights, indicators etc still work, despite the fact that the lights have moved slightly as the back end distorted.

Or the other option is tailgate & bumper from a scrappy, and bash the tailgate lip back to where it should be with a sledge hammer; it would be useable; though I guess that if it is written off it would need an engineer's report to say the work had been done properly before it could go back on the road.

I'll let you know.

Well, it's confirmed that the car is a 'Total Loss' though no indication yet about what we'll get back for it, or what it'll cost to keep it.

Rolla.jpg

:(

Pity, looked a good example. The 5 hour claying and polishing is evident too, paintwork looks showroom apart from bumper looking a bit faded.

Pity, looked a good example. The 5 hour claying and polishing is evident too, paintwork looks showroom apart from bumper looking a bit faded.

Yes, luckily I'd not had time to do the bumpers.

Or maybe not so lucky; if there'd been a coat of Megs on there it might have protected it from the crash? :D

tony let us know! haha might have a mooche when in notts see what else, lol i posted in the main section, kayleys thread.

How much for the bonnet if you can get it back?

I'll let you know if we get it back; should be speaking to Engineer on Monday. May still try to fix depending on damage.

Also, the bonnet has a slight knock on the leading edge; not bad, but not perfect.

T

I'll let you know if we get it back; should be speaking to Engineer on Monday. May still try to fix depending on damage.

Also, the bonnet has a slight knock on the leading edge; not bad, but not perfect.

T

Lol better than the state of mine at the min! No Hinges, one side is too long and the other too short and its held on with a strap off a 40ft wagon haha!

just let us know what happens haha anything connected is better than it not being part of my car :P will get some pics tomorrow

Hi There,

Im the other Corolla widow!!! Gutted for ur loss. Hate to be a vulture but if uv got a drivers side headlight, front bumper or bonnet I might be interested!! Got a indicator cortesy of Gaz! ;)

Im presuming 95 parts r ok for the 94 model.

While im here, anyone know how easy it is to remove a bonnet and bumper off a 94 corolla??!!!

Thanks

Kaleyt

Kaleyt,

Hi. I'll let you know if we get to keep it. Currently in negotiations regarding the value of it before and now.

However isn't yours a 5 door; Parts-King confirmed that there isn't much in common bodywise between the two, so I'm not sure if our lights would fit. If they do, drivers side one is fine.

Sorry, never had the bumper off it, so can't help with that.

Gaz, not got the car back yet, but do drop in if you're headed this way. We're about half way between Mansfield and Nottingham.

Tony

Yay cheers Tony! Lol bit hard atm cause am the only driver with my company in Cleethorpes and Grimsby and surrounding areas i never alone, lol don't fancy invading you with a posse of workers! but when i down will let you know lol planning to go see my mum soon so will tie it in there :)

Oooh and Kayley the bonnet (if Tony can get it) is mine :P

You !Removed! vultures!!!

Really sorry to have read this mate and you will deffo have to try and buy the salvage rights to it. If you cant buy it from your insurer then insist on getting them to dig out the number for the salvage yard they are send it to so you can contact them direct.

Dont give up hope mate, it dont look that bad. With a new bumper and a bit of a jig to straighten it up you could have the car back on the road.

With you all luck you can get to get the result the way you want. :)

No problems Gaz, see you when you can make it.

Dont give up hope mate, it dont look that bad. With a new bumper and a bit of a jig to straighten it up you could have the car back on the road.

Cheers Fizz,

But I have given up on it ever going again; spoke to the repair company and they'd quoted 3K to repair, and we're being offered £1077 for it at the moment.

Trying to get that figure up, but no way it's going to be worth fixing even if I can get the bits from a scrappy and get someone to jig it.

I think I need to find one with decent bodywork but otherwise in poor condition, then swap the good stuff from this one over.

Or just buy her something else completely with the cash; I don't think she'll be happy with another Rolla because it'll never be as good as this one was.

Ideas anyone for a medium sized, cheap and reliable car? It's tricky because she'll say Starlett / Yaris is too small, and Carina / Avensis will be too big.

Paseo maybe?

You payout should still reflect "market value".

Have a look through Autotrader for cars of similar age, spec, mileage etc

If they are being sold for more than you've been offered take copies of all the adverts and use them as evidence that your insurers offer would not enable you to buy the same spec car again.

Insurers always make a low offer first, it's up to you to make them change their minds!!

:thumbsup:

No problems Gaz, see you when you can make it.

Cheers Fizz,

But I have given up on it ever going again; spoke to the repair company and they'd quoted 3K to repair, and we're being offered £1077 for it at the moment.

Trying to get that figure up, but no way it's going to be worth fixing even if I can get the bits from a scrappy and get someone to jig it.

Jigging would cost you anywhere from £150/£200 depending how bad it is then cost of the bumper etc. aint that much ya know. :)

You payout should still reflect "market value".

Have a look through Autotrader for cars of similar age, spec, mileage etc

If they are being sold for more than you've been offered take copies of all the adverts and use them as evidence that your insurers offer would not enable you to buy the same spec car again.

Insurers always make a low offer first, it's up to you to make them change their minds!!

:thumbsup:

Good idea.

I've had a look through there, but not saved any yet; To be honest, there are so few around that I can't find a single one with FTSH and such low mileage - but I've found plenty that are more expensive with more miles and without FTSH. I'll print some of those out though.

Sending off the service history info to them this morning so hopefully that'll help.

Jigging would cost you anywhere from £150/£200 depending how bad it is then cost of the bumper etc. aint that much ya know. :)

Interesting; I thought it would be much more than that - 750 to 1000 or so. If I can find anyone to do it that cheap then it might be feasible.

I'll look into it if I can get the Shell back.

Hi T600. WARNING - RANT ON THE WAY.............

Sounds like uv got the same prob as me I bought my L reg Corolla on 7th Feb and crashed it on the 11th!! Absolutely gutted, love the car. Previously had a L reg Polo, but the toyota is sooooo much better. The crash was my fault, when i spoke to the insurers they said my excess is £250 plus a £200 penalty coz ive bin drivin less than a year - Ba**ards. I only bought the car a week b4 for £500!!!!

Took it to the garage they told me to, and youve guessed it, uneconomical to repair, well its bound to be if they insist on fixing it to a perfect condition.

Anywho, i thought if they write it off then ill only get £550 at the most and that minus £450 leaves £100 and no car. I just cant bear to have it scrapped - theres no mechnical damage atall. It runs fine.

So thankfully with the help from a friends fiance and his dad, im having it fixed. But I took it to a garage just to see what theyd say, and they reckoned £500 without parts!!!! :o

Sourcing the parts online for about £150 my friends bloke is replacing them 4 free. :D

Just gotta think about the respraying, think he might be able to get it on the cheap, ive no idea how much it would be, its only a bumper and bonnet, but in the world of cars thats probably a fortune!!

All this just as im tryin to save for a trip to oz to volunteer for wildlife!!!!!! Surely my bad luck has to have run out by now!! I went on hol in jan, my glasses and camera got nicked, i fell backwards while snowboarding and got whiplash, got a parking ticket came home and crashed my car!!!! OH such is life!!!!! :D

BACK TO THE CAR.....Taking it to my nice garage on saturday for free so they can make sure theres no underlying damge to the structure, coz... oh yeah, my MOT is in March!!!! :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links