Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

X Reg Yaris = New Gearbox - Used Car Purchase Warrantys Etc.

thegaffa

Hello one and all,

Hope somebody can point me in the right direction, here goes...

Car details first - X reg Yaris - 1.0 16v VVTi GS - 39,000 miles

I purchased this 'Used Car' from a reputable dealer on Dec 1st 2007 and now (2 months and 12 days on) I've been told by another reputable garage that the synchromesh in the gearbox is worn and needs replacing totally, or fixing. Either way what I've been quoted is £880 for a new gear box (fitted).

Obviously I'll go down the lines of searching around for better quotes etc. if that time comes but I'm wondering if anybody here has any ideas about where I stand legally as I've only had the car 2.5 months and travelled 990 miles.

The car was sold under their 'Runabouts' classification and thus came with a warranty of only 30 days / 1000 miles.

Any information regarding the likelihood of me getting the car company to foot the bill would be much appreciated.

(apologies if this is in the wrong forum - it's not necessarily specific to Yaris')

Thanks,

Gaffa

Thanks for the replies so far.

I was having intermittent trouble getting it in to reverse.

They've said there's a clutch cable that's "stiff" but RE: gears - the synchromesh has worn.

I'm going to contact trading standards this a.m.

I was having intermittent trouble getting it in to reverse.

Regarding the selection of reverse gear, it’s a Toyota design. It’s to stop you from accidentally selecting reverse when moving forward.

The correct procedure for getting reverse is to release the clutch for 2 seconds, reapply the clutch and then it will slide into reverse without any problems.

Hope this helps.

Regarding the selection of reverse gear, it’s a Toyota design. It’s to stop you from accidentally selecting reverse when moving forward.

The correct procedure for getting reverse is to release the clutch for 2 seconds, reapply the clutch and then it will slide into reverse without any problems.

Thanks T V O R but I'm never moving forwards when I try to get it in to reverse and it's not something that seems to ease with time. I've tried dis-engaging and re-engaging the clutch and still it won't always go in to reverse. From previous cars I've also had the tendency to put the car in 1st gear before I try and get it in to reverse.

Neither of the above methods of getting it in to reverse appear to have helped significantly.

I've made a few phone calls and am following it up through trading standards. But I think I'm going to have to get it fixed in the mean time and then claim back the money at a later date if I can.

Thanks for the replies thus far guys (and gals).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links