Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smoking 2.0 D4d

Owens

Hi all,

Can you help me with an ongoing problem with my 54 reg Avensis 2.0 D4d. 90,000 miles.

most of the time i am on light throttle (about 1/3) most of the time in the range of 1800 to 3200 rpm i get lumpyrunning ( a bit like pinking on a petrol engine) and visible smoke from the exhaust (light grey), if i try and accelerate (3/4 throttle) i get a delay in the power of about 2 to 3 seconds then a surge of power and a MASSIVE amount of smoke out of the exhaust (again grey) and the smoke continues for several seconds or untill i stop accelerating. I have noticed a lack of decelleration when i take my foot off the throttle (which also gives smoke out the exhaust for 3 to 4 seconds). It does give some black smoke when it cold (but i'm not worried about that)

The car is fully Toyota dealer serviced and had the EGR valve replaced 1,000 miles ago (that decreased the smoke by about 20% for 3 hours), i have not had any warning lights on the dash. I only used Shell Diesel and the odd ocassion of Vmax diesel. They say the car passes the MOT emissions test and suggested new injectors (£1, 600.00), but they could not say that would definatly cure the problem?.

I have also noticed a mechanical nocking noise on hard acceleration coming from the centre back of the engine bay, i do not know if this is relevant as this has been happening months before the smoke problem, the garrage say nothing is wrong!.

I have even loand the car to a couple of friends and after running it for a few days, they sugested contacting the Navy as they recon it was a battle ship in disguise (make smoke).

Any help appreciated.

Owen.

Hi all,

Can you help me with an ongoing problem with my 54 reg Avensis 2.0 D4d. 90,000 miles.

most of the time i am on light throttle (about 1/3) most of the time in the range of 1800 to 3200 rpm i get lumpyrunning ( a bit like pinking on a petrol engine) and visible smoke from the exhaust (light grey), if i try and accelerate (3/4 throttle) i get a delay in the power of about 2 to 3 seconds then a surge of power and a MASSIVE amount of smoke out of the exhaust (again grey) and the smoke continues for several seconds or untill i stop accelerating. I have noticed a lack of decelleration when i take my foot off the throttle (which also gives smoke out the exhaust for 3 to 4 seconds). It does give some black smoke when it cold (but i'm not worried about that)

The car is fully Toyota dealer serviced and had the EGR valve replaced 1,000 miles ago (that decreased the smoke by about 20% for 3 hours), i have not had any warning lights on the dash. I only used Shell Diesel and the odd ocassion of Vmax diesel. They say the car passes the MOT emissions test and suggested new injectors (£1, 600.00), but they could not say that would definatly cure the problem?.

I have also noticed a mechanical nocking noise on hard acceleration coming from the centre back of the engine bay, i do not know if this is relevant as this has been happening months before the smoke problem, the garrage say nothing is wrong!.

I have even loand the car to a couple of friends and after running it for a few days, they sugested contacting the Navy as they recon it was a battle ship in disguise (make smoke).

Any help appreciated.

Owen.

hi matecheck with injectors first and after turbocharger and its air filter.

i hope after checking you'll find the reason.

cheers/igor

I've just had exactly the same thing as you. I thought MAF sensor but on diagnosis from Toyota they identified it as two of the injectors showing in the negative range, and the other two overcompensating and showing as +2.x. They replaced the injectors under warranty and it is perfect.

Hi All,

thanks for the help.

I am going to try another Toyota garage and get them to look at it properly,

Owens

hello again

please pay your max attention on the injection spray. it must be sharp and no any diesel drops are admissible on the atomiser end (!)

good luck/igor

Hi,

Yes the turbo pipe is ok.

the smoke only happens 80% of the time under the conditions mentioned above, the strange thing is the engine management light never comes on!. i would have thought it could sense somthing was wrong.

Owens

Hi

Yes i have been using injector cleaner every 3,000 miles.

The garage checked out the MAF and said it was good.

thanks for the help

Owens

Hi,

Yes the turbo pipe is ok.

the smoke only happens 80% of the time under the conditions mentioned above, the strange thing is the engine management light never comes on!. i would have thought it could sense somthing was wrong.

Owens

hi

even you use an injectors cleaner -- it is not enough (!). you'd arrange an idle test occasionally to check an atomizers performance and spray .

the atomizers have a limit life time . it is normal for diesel engine.

you will be surprised when disclose one or two of them as having bad injection spray.

cheers/igor

Hi

Yes i have been using injector cleaner every 3,000 miles.

The garage checked out the MAF and said it was good.

thanks for the help

Owens

Id still clean it with ipa ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Problem sorted, 3 bad injectors and one iffy, all now replaced and working great. Evven if it did cost £1600 GBP.

Thanks for all the help

Owens

Hi All,

Problem sorted, 3 bad injectors and one iffy, all now replaced and working great. Evven if it did cost £1600 GBP.

Thanks for all the help

Owens

hi mate

it is great you've reached a succes.

Now you're very experienced with this problem.

good luck/igor

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help

Owens

hi again

in theory of the diesel engine -- each cylinder must to get an equuivalent portion of scavange air and fuel to give out passport power and no smoke depending on the respective load. Besides -- those metal knocks at cold starting is the indicator of extensive injection into the cylinders.

good luck/igor

• 11 months later...
Hi All,

Thanks for all the help

Owens

I realise this thread is a little old but thought you all might like to share my recent experience.

My 2yo Avensis 2.2 D4D (28,000) started with all the symptoms that you guys have described for injector problems so I hot footed to Mr T with my warranty still intact. He agreed it looked like injector problems " ...We've changed loads of them..." but asked if it was using oil. Long story short is that a number of 2.0 and 2.2l diesels have had soft piston rings fitted and Toyota claim not to know which engines they are in :rolleyes: but if you're having low mpg, smoking, rough idle, bad starting AND using oil this may be the problem. They are booking a courtesy car for me for the estimated two weeks it will take to do the work but I have to do a 1000 ml oil consumption test to convince 'T' before they'll agree to foot the bill... pass me the sump wrench :lol:

I also asked about the ECU update and he said part of this update was to reduce oil consumption by altering the engine timing somehow, but didn't understand that bit himself - the guy seemed genuine enough though.

Thanks to you all for the heads up on this or it might've run over the warranty period.

I think this may be of 2 things. One of the intercooler pipes has a split in it or the Turbo seals are on their last legs. I think it may be the intercooler pipes and 1 might have a little hole in it. I don't think it is the Turbo seals! This happened to a Land Rover once and i found a torn intercooler pipe which was letting the air out as the air is compressed. I changed the pipe and the grey smoke was no more. This is what i think!!! You say the injectors, sure they are not clogged with carbon. Try some injector cleaner in the fuel tank. But grey/black smoke in an indicator of a lack of air getting into the cylinders making the fuel too rich when it combusts. If you see oil coming out the exhaust....Turbo seals!!!

With the knocking noise i would say injectors (updated injectors are available)

Also, when they replaced the EGR valve - did they remove the inlet manifold and clean the carbon deposits from the inside? (these can get very very clogged)

This could block the airflow into the chambers and cause overfuelling too.

Mart.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

Any help appreciated.

Owen.

Hi

Please responde me to luciancioara_arad@yahoo.com