Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removal Of Windscreen Washer Pump

andyrees

The front windscreen washers on my 2004 yaris have stopped working. I have checked the fuse (14) which is for the front/rearwashers and front/rear wipers and it is ok.

The rear washer jet works ok, but when i pull the stalk i get nothing - no motor whirr or anything.

From what i have searched, am i correct in thinking that there is one washer motor, which has 3 electrical connections?, it just spins in one direction for the rear washer, and the opposite for the front washer?.

Now i am after some pointers on how to remove it to check it over - It appears to be in the most awkward position within the inner wing - Will I be able to reach round and pop it off from the bottle? - I guess it will be just a rubber o ring seal? - Any pointers/ tips will be appreciated! (i have already syphoned th bottle so i don't get a shower when I get it off!!!)

Thanks in advance!

Yep pretty much what you are saying is all true. The motor spins one way for front washers and the other for rear washers. Yep it sits under the offside inner wing, in a gromet, in the washer bottle bottom. You will have to partly remove the plastic inner wing liner to gain access to it. Just pull the pump away from the washer bottle and dis-connect the plug. If there is any screen wash/water left in the bottle it will run up your arm. There is a small circuit in the motor that usually blows, stopping the motor working in 1 direction. It will mean a new washer pump and, yes, they are flippin expencive.

JUST ONE LINE OF WISHDOM HEAR. THE BIGGEST KILLER OF WASHER PUMPS IS USING WASHING UP LIQUID IN THE WASHER BOTTLE Buy some propa screen wash you tight gitz....you know who you are ;)

If it still works for the rear window washer and you dont want to fork out for a new motor. You can just swap the hose over so the front washes when rear switch is activated. Also good for a temp fix if needed.

Mart.

From my experience, removing the front lower bumper gives you enough access to the pump.

Replacement for the pump maybe expensive... but I am sure there are plenty of these in scrapyards going for cheap!!! (Probably interchangable between many toyota models too!)

Probably interchangable between many toyota models too!

They are; I borrowed a Corolla one for a GT4 a while ago. It was identical.

Knowing which ones fit which other cars is impossible though. If anyone finds a pump that fits another model, post it up for others' benefit.

The Toyota ones are ridiculously expensive compared to the stock ones you can buy in Halfords, and the only difference seems to be the electrical connections as far as I can see.

If I hadn't found a second hand Rolla one for my GT4 I'd have probably bought one from Halfords, or a Non Toyota one from a scrappy, and changed the loom to suit.

Hi

See thread here.

You can gain access to the pump by jacking up the front OS and removing the wheel arch liner.

When I bought my pump about 6 months ago it was £60 from Mr T! From what I have seen since the pump seems to be the same as that on most of the recent Toyotas. I enquired at a local motor factor at the time but they didn't list a pump for the Yaris but they did list one for the 2002 Corolla at about £30. Unfortunately, they didn't have one in stock for me to compare at the time so I went for the Mr T option for speed. I might be worth checking with a local motor factor for a 'Toyota' pump.

HTH - Andy

• 6 years later...

sorry to bring up an old post but is this an mot failure has mine has stopped working on the front windscreen?

Yes it is, you need to be able to clean the screen

Thanks guys its working again today so intermitent fault somewhere

Wonder if its a partial blockage somewhere in the piping or at the nozzle

• 1 month later...

just finished replacing a washer pump on my 55 plate 1ltr yaris 3 door,

I can tell you its much easier if you remover the OS front wheel,

my car is french made and has 2 pumps,and this is the second to go,the first was the front screen,for that I got an

original Toyota pump,and nearly had heart failure over the price,they charged over £70 !!!

the the I got this time looks exactly the same,from a UK source,off eBay.for £11,97,

draw your own conclusions

on my car the front pump is for the rear wash,and the rear pump sorts the windscreen,

I will supply a link forany that need a new pumphttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-OR-Rear-Windscreen-Washer-Pump-Toyota-Yaris-2001-to-2005-French-models-/231042542553?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AToyota%7CModel%3AYaris%2FVitz&hash=item35cb356bd9

hope this doesn't break any rules

• 1 year later...

surprise ,

the windscreen washer pump went again,

the genuine Toyota item,cost £76 in 2011,

replaced by what looks identical item off eBay at £7.99,

so far,two faulty windscreen ,and one rear washer,

small but VERY annoying

• 4 years later...

How do you access the pipes when they drop down after removing the nozzles?