• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lucklesspedestrian

lucklesspedestrian

• Registered Member
  • 7 posts
  • Toyota Model: Camry

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

Firstly Hi folks, this is my first post here.

I've just bought an immaculate FTSH Camry 2.2 (1997 with 110K on the clock) from a chap who really has cherished the car.

It drives like a car half it's age with 50K on the clock.

The only problem I can find is that the front suspension (at least i think it's the front suspension) seems a wee bit noisy with a noticable 'clunk' going over speed bumps or potholes.

The suspension is original.

On smoothish roads it fairly glides along.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that this was something of a design flaw on Camrys and that the noise didn't actually indicate a fault as such.

Has anyone else heard of this problem, or possibly managed to fix it or pehaps it's just a case of learning to put up with it?

(I suspect it seems worse than it is because the car is otherwise so quiet!)

All the best

Steve

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 TimT

TimT

• Registered Member
  • 10 posts
  • Toyota Model: Camry 3.0 CDX

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:15 PM

Hi

Sounds like a problem I had on an earlier Camry of mine which turned out to be worn bushes in the suspension. I am not very technical but problem was easily fixed by my local garage and not too expensive I recall.

Not sure there are enough Camry owners around to be sure to get solid help on this forum!

Still love my latest one though but frustrated at failed drivers door loudspeaker.

Good luck

Tim

#3 lucklesspedestrian

lucklesspedestrian

• Registered Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:52 PM

cheers Tim

You're right, Camrys and Camry owners seem to be a pretty rare breed!

#4 chaphekar

chaphekar

• Registered Member
  • 1 posts
  • Toyota Model: Camry 2.2 Sport

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:57 PM

Hi Steve
I had the same problem on my 1998 2.2i sport. It was due to the busted top bearing of the front struts. Changing them should solve your problem
Cheers
Vivek

Firstly Hi folks, this is my first post here.

I've just bought an immaculate FTSH Camry 2.2 (1997 with 110K on the clock) from a chap who really has cherished the car.

It drives like a car half it's age with 50K on the clock.

The only problem I can find is that the front suspension (at least i think it's the front suspension) seems a wee bit noisy with a noticable 'clunk' going over speed bumps or potholes.

The suspension is original.

On smoothish roads it fairly glides along.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that this was something of a design flaw on Camrys and that the noise didn't actually indicate a fault as such.

Has anyone else heard of this problem, or possibly managed to fix it or pehaps it's just a case of learning to put up with it?

(I suspect it seems worse than it is because the car is otherwise so quiet!)

All the best

Steve

#5 rod96camry

rod96camry

• Registered Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

Hi

Sounds like a problem I had on an earlier Camry of mine which turned out to be worn bushes (?bushings) in the suspension. I am not very technical but problem was easily fixed by my local garage and not too expensive I recall.

Not sure there are enough Camry owners around to be sure to get solid help on this forum!

Yes indeed. Google for sway bar bushings. front and back. I think this is the number one clunking noise issue on camry suspension, and maybe lots of other cars. With any kind of mileage, the bushings start to wear. The bushings cost around $11 ea at the dealer. Not hard to install yourself. Makes a big difference. What I understand is that the bushings need to be really snug, yet the sway bar has to be able to slip/move in the bushing's grip. Some people grease it with white lithium grease or wrap the bar with teflon tape. If you had racing type polyurethane bushings, some guys drill it and put a grease fitting in the bushing. If you're just screwing around, take the bushing off and wrap the bar with some duct tape. as long as the bushing doesn't look out of round, or disintegrating. Lots of people that take it in, get their struts replaced, and the noise remains.

#6 lucklesspedestrian

lucklesspedestrian

• Registered Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hi

Sounds like a problem I had on an earlier Camry of mine which turned out to be worn bushes (?bushings) in the suspension. I am not very technical but problem was easily fixed by my local garage and not too expensive I recall.

Yes indeed. Google for sway bar bushings. front and back. I think this is the number one clunking noise issue on camry suspension, and maybe lots of other cars. With any kind of mileage, the bushings start to wear. The bushings cost around $11 ea at the dealer. Not hard to install yourself. Makes a big difference. What I understand is that the bushings need to be really snug, yet the sway bar has to be able to slip/move in the bushing's grip. Some people grease it with white lithium grease or wrap the bar with teflon tape. If you had racing type polyurethane bushings, some guys drill it and put a grease fitting in the bushing. If you're just screwing around, take the bushing off and wrap the bar with some duct tape. as long as the bushing doesn't look out of round, or disintegrating. Lots of people that take it in, get their struts replaced, and the noise remains.

Had the car into the garage this moring. Worn D bushes in the sway bar. Wrapped it up with heavy duty tape as you suggested and the noise is gone (at the back anyway!)

Thanks Rod!

#7 Chris_Camry

Chris_Camry

• Registered Member
  • 8 posts
  • Toyota Model: Camry LE

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:22 PM

Rod, is it a proper clunking sound you get or more of a rattley sound??

Mine sounds like it's rattleing going down anything but smooth roads. Going to get the wheels of this weekend and have a look but it sounds more like trim moving around rather than metal clunking. Definitely coming from the front strut though

#8 beurling

beurling

• Registered Member
  • 14 posts
  • Toyota Model: Camry V6 Sport

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:45 PM

Rod, is it a proper clunking sound you get or more of a rattley sound??

Mine sounds like it's rattleing going down anything but smooth roads. Going to get the wheels of this weekend and have a look but it sounds more like trim moving around rather than metal clunking. Definitely coming from the front strut though

hi guys..we own 2 1998 camry v6 sports

both have same problems..the bushings as have already been mentioned...and the strut top mounts...change these and your car will sound fine again :-)

poor quality rubber my friends

#9 gabe74gt

gabe74gt

• Registered Member
  • 5 posts
  • Toyota Model: Verso 1.8

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:29 AM

you need to change them my friend/ look for the same quality or company recommended

#10 malojie

malojie

• Registered Member
  • 7 posts
  • Toyota Model: camry v6 sport

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:51 AM

you need to change them my friend/ look for the same quality or company recommended

1998 v6 sport........i bought 2 front anti roll links on ebay 25 quid delivered....fitted them tonight and that sorted my bad rattle out right away!! and it was indeed a bad rattle but there was hardly any movement in those worn links so if they are old/never changed....change them!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users