Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1997 Camry Clunking Suspension

lucklesspedestrian

Firstly Hi folks, this is my first post here.

I've just bought an immaculate FTSH Camry 2.2 (1997 with 110K on the clock) from a chap who really has cherished the car.

It drives like a car half it's age with 50K on the clock.

The only problem I can find is that the front suspension (at least i think it's the front suspension) seems a wee bit noisy with a noticable 'clunk' going over speed bumps or potholes.

The suspension is original.

On smoothish roads it fairly glides along.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that this was something of a design flaw on Camrys and that the noise didn't actually indicate a fault as such.

Has anyone else heard of this problem, or possibly managed to fix it or pehaps it's just a case of learning to put up with it?

(I suspect it seems worse than it is because the car is otherwise so quiet!)

All the best

Steve

Hi

Sounds like a problem I had on an earlier Camry of mine which turned out to be worn bushes in the suspension. I am not very technical but problem was easily fixed by my local garage and not too expensive I recall.

Not sure there are enough Camry owners around to be sure to get solid help on this forum!

Still love my latest one though but frustrated at failed drivers door loudspeaker.

Good luck

Tim

• 2 months later...

Hi Steve

I had the same problem on my 1998 2.2i sport. It was due to the busted top bearing of the front struts. Changing them should solve your problem

Cheers

Vivek

Firstly Hi folks, this is my first post here.

I've just bought an immaculate FTSH Camry 2.2 (1997 with 110K on the clock) from a chap who really has cherished the car.

It drives like a car half it's age with 50K on the clock.

The only problem I can find is that the front suspension (at least i think it's the front suspension) seems a wee bit noisy with a noticable 'clunk' going over speed bumps or potholes.

The suspension is original.

On smoothish roads it fairly glides along.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that this was something of a design flaw on Camrys and that the noise didn't actually indicate a fault as such.

Has anyone else heard of this problem, or possibly managed to fix it or pehaps it's just a case of learning to put up with it?

(I suspect it seems worse than it is because the car is otherwise so quiet!)

All the best

Steve

• 2 months later...
Hi

Sounds like a problem I had on an earlier Camry of mine which turned out to be worn bushes (?bushings) in the suspension. I am not very technical but problem was easily fixed by my local garage and not too expensive I recall.

Not sure there are enough Camry owners around to be sure to get solid help on this forum!

Yes indeed. Google for sway bar bushings. front and back. I think this is the number one clunking noise issue on camry suspension, and maybe lots of other cars. With any kind of mileage, the bushings start to wear. The bushings cost around $11 ea at the dealer. Not hard to install yourself. Makes a big difference. What I understand is that the bushings need to be really snug, yet the sway bar has to be able to slip/move in the bushing's grip. Some people grease it with white lithium grease or wrap the bar with teflon tape. If you had racing type polyurethane bushings, some guys drill it and put a grease fitting in the bushing. If you're just !Removed! around, take the bushing off and wrap the bar with some duct tape. as long as the bushing doesn't look out of round, or disintegrating. Lots of people that take it in, get their struts replaced, and the noise remains.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Hi

Sounds like a problem I had on an earlier Camry of mine which turned out to be worn bushes (?bushings) in the suspension. I am not very technical but problem was easily fixed by my local garage and not too expensive I recall.

Yes indeed. Google for sway bar bushings. front and back. I think this is the number one clunking noise issue on camry suspension, and maybe lots of other cars. With any kind of mileage, the bushings start to wear. The bushings cost around $11 ea at the dealer. Not hard to install yourself. Makes a big difference. What I understand is that the bushings need to be really snug, yet the sway bar has to be able to slip/move in the bushing's grip. Some people grease it with white lithium grease or wrap the bar with teflon tape. If you had racing type polyurethane bushings, some guys drill it and put a grease fitting in the bushing. If you're just !Removed! around, take the bushing off and wrap the bar with some duct tape. as long as the bushing doesn't look out of round, or disintegrating. Lots of people that take it in, get their struts replaced, and the noise remains.

Had the car into the garage this moring. Worn D bushes in the sway bar. Wrapped it up with heavy duty tape as you suggested and the noise is gone (at the back anyway!)

Thanks Rod!

• Like 1

Rod, is it a proper clunking sound you get or more of a rattley sound??

Mine sounds like it's rattleing going down anything but smooth roads. Going to get the wheels of this weekend and have a look but it sounds more like trim moving around rather than metal clunking. Definitely coming from the front strut though

• 4 months later...
Rod, is it a proper clunking sound you get or more of a rattley sound??

Mine sounds like it's rattleing going down anything but smooth roads. Going to get the wheels of this weekend and have a look but it sounds more like trim moving around rather than metal clunking. Definitely coming from the front strut though

hi guys..we own 2 1998 camry v6 sports

both have same problems..the bushings as have already been mentioned...and the strut top mounts...change these and your car will sound fine again :-)

poor quality rubber my friends

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
you need to change them my friend/ look for the same quality or company recommended
1998 v6 sport........i bought 2 front anti roll links on eBay 25 quid delivered....fitted them tonight and that sorted my bad rattle out right away!! and it was indeed a bad rattle but there was hardly any movement in those worn links so if they are old/never changed....change them!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

You could also check the top bearings on the suspensions struts. If you have them changed, can you please let me know the manufacturer of the bearings and the bearing number.

Regards

Pavlos35

• 1 month later...

change the strut top mounts but at the same time change the sway bar bushings and the bearings on the front strut..your car will drive like new...

just sorted all the suspension on our red car :-)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

See my post under "Camry V6 Sport suspension" for a possible quick (but temporary) fix.

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Could be a broken Coil? Does it clunk where turning the steering at slow speeds? Check your ride height.