Do Not Sell My Personal Information

(slightly) Concerned Soon-to-be Auris Multimode Owner.

simon_d

Hello everyone!

Ive recently joined this forum, and this is my first post.

I work for Toyota, and my current car is a 1993 MR2.....That is until 10th March when my new Auris T3 1.6 multimode gets delivered to work!

Im really excited because this will be the first new car I will have 'owned' ( Im getting it through Toyota's 'member car plan' ).

The thing is Im getting a bit concerned about some of the comments Ive read about the multimode system on this forum.

Ive read car review websites, and the write ups about the multimode system seem quite positive, yet on this forum some people seem to really hate it!

I appreciate that its a manual car with automated clutch actuation, not a full 'torque-converter' auto.... seeing as I have never driven a 'true' auto, i dont really care about that!

I also realize that I will have to change my driving style, and 'get used' to the system. Im looking forward to that in the same way that I loved getting used to rear wheel drive in the wet when I got my MR2 :) Its all part of the fun of getting a different car!

Ive only got the car for a year, and then I get a new one ( maybe with manual gears?!) so its not that bad if I dont get along with the multimode.

Anyhoo, sorry about rambling on a bit.

Here's the question.....

IS THE AURIS MULTIMODE SYSTEM GOOD OR BAD? AND WHY?

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

Si

Hello everyone!

Ive recently joined this forum, and this is my first post.

I work for Toyota, and my current car is a 1993 MR2.....That is until 10th March when my new Auris T3 1.6 multimode gets delivered to work!

Im really excited because this will be the first new car I will have 'owned' ( Im getting it through Toyota's 'member car plan' ).

The thing is Im getting a bit concerned about some of the comments Ive read about the multimode system on this forum.

Ive read car review websites, and the write ups about the multimode system seem quite positive, yet on this forum some people seem to really hate it!

I appreciate that its a manual car with automated clutch actuation, not a full 'torque-converter' auto.... seeing as I have never driven a 'true' auto, i dont really care about that!

I also realize that I will have to change my driving style, and 'get used' to the system. Im looking forward to that in the same way that I loved getting used to rear wheel drive in the wet when I got my MR2 :) Its all part of the fun of getting a different car!

Ive only got the car for a year, and then I get a new one ( maybe with manual gears?!) so its not that bad if I dont get along with the multimode.

Anyhoo, sorry about rambling on a bit.

Here's the question.....

IS THE AURIS MULTIMODE SYSTEM GOOD OR BAD? AND WHY?

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

Si

The most important thing is have you driven the car with the MMT gearbox if not I suggest you do !!

As you are just keeping the car for a year you should be okay .I do not know much about the Toyota members plan but guess you just hand back after the year is up and choose something else at a substantial discounted price

Hi Si,

Welcome to the forum. I can't help with your question as my T180 has a good oldfashioned six speed manual.

I would presume working for MrT you would have had a decent test drive with the MM before committing yourself. It's always disconcerting when you read negative reports about your pride and joy to be. I still have to put up with them over the 180.

Enjoy the site and your Auris when it arrives.

I have not driven the latest variant of the MMT but believe they have improved it.I could not get along with mine and believe very soon Toyota will dump this which is costing them sales or at the very least bring back a full auto option.

Cheers for your answers so far.

I will let everyone know how i get on with the multimode. Im looking forward to it cos its something new.

I must admit tho I am surprised that toyota would release something that some people think is so bad! I know the lengths we go to at work to make sure the engines are spot on, and I would have thought that this culture would be exactly the same across the entire company, including the dudes who design and test the gear boxes.

Maybe the problems some people are having are a bit of both, by which I mean some people cant get used to the gearbox, and some cars may have genuine gliches.

Anyway, Im still looking forward to getting my lovely Auris :)

Si

The Auris MMT is superb, for those who have not driven it, go and test drive one. It is easy to knock it by the comments made by early Verso drivers who have hade problems, but I'm sure you will find it a lovely drive. I have had a couple and loved them. There are no plans as far as I know to ditch it and bring in a gas guzzleing fully automatic car, everthing these days is about fuel consumption and emissions, something that can be better acheived with MMT and not with a full automatic. Hopefully we will see you here when you are in for service

Kingo :thumbsup:

The Auris MMT is superb, for those who have not driven it, go and test drive one. It is easy to knock it by the comments made by early Verso drivers who have hade problems, but I'm sure you will find it a lovely drive. I have had a couple and loved them. There are no plans as far as I know to ditch it and bring in a gas guzzleing fully automatic car, everthing these days is about fuel consumption and emissions, something that can be better acheived with MMT and not with a full automatic. Hopefully we will see you here when you are in for service

Cheers Parts-King

Nice to hear from someone who likes the mmt!

I totally agree with what you say about good economy / low emissions being important to a company like Toyota. I cant see them wasting years and millions on developing a gearbox and then dropping it.

My main motivation for getting the mmt is so when Im in a traffic jam on the A55 or on the way to London or where-ever, I can stick it in auto and relax. Then when I fancy a raz I can stick it in manual and flick them paddles :). Seems like a no-brainer to me. But time will tell!

You will deffo see me at service time.... will be a nice change to be in Lindops and NOT collecting parts for my MR2 :)

Si

Why is this gearbox design not available outside Europe this is a mystery to me ;) !! Also other manufacturers will also aim to produce a fuel efficient ,low emission auto gearbox exactly how much better is the MMT gearbox compared with other manufacturers gearboxes.

If this gearbox develops a bad reputation in the the trade it will have a knock on effect !!! no dealer wants his cash in a vehicle sitting on his forecourt so will price it accordingly

I am sure Parts king remembers the rust bucket Lancias ( not that I am suggesting that a Toyota is like that)

Why is this gearbox design not available outside Europe this is a mystery to me ;) !! Also other manufacturers will also aim to produce a fuel efficient ,low emission auto gearbox exactly how much better is the MMT gearbox compared with other manufacturers gearboxes.

If this gearbox develops a bad reputation in the the trade it will have a knock on effect !!! no dealer wants his cash in a vehicle sitting on his forecourt so will price it accordingly

I am sure Parts king remembers the rust bucket Lancias ( not that I am suggesting that a Toyota is like that)

I'm not sure why it isnt used elsewhere, USA love their autos, as do Japan and Australia. The rest of the world don't give two toots on a ragmans trumpet about emissions :toot::toot: So it is up to Europe to lead the way

Contrary to popular belief, this type of gearbox does not have a bad reputation, it is limited to a small range or earlier models. It is seriously a great system on the Auris, I would defy anybody not to like it after a very short "learning" time. It does require a little different driving technique that you will very soon get used to, it will certainly never be as bad as a Lancia!

:P

I'm not sure why it isnt used elsewhere, USA love their autos, as do Japan and Australia. The rest of the world don't give two toots on a ragmans trumpet about emissions :toot::toot: So it is up to Europe to lead the way

Contrary to popular belief, this type of gearbox does not have a bad reputation, it is limited to a small range or earlier models. It is seriously a great system on the Auris, I would defy anybody not to like it after a very short "learning" time. It does require a little different driving technique that you will very soon get used to, it will certainly never be as bad as a Lancia!

Kingo I think you have been spending to much time on the Rav forum with all that :toot::toot: you will be talking about railway engines next :D

I think I will start a thread on old fashioned sayings.................An old boy I used to work with had many a side splitting saying, nothing on MMT though ;)

:D

I think I will start a thread on old fashioned sayings.................An old boy I used to work with had many a side splitting saying, nothing on MMT though ;)

How about "no I did not over sleep the MMT broke down again "( perhaps I have just created one) :thumbsup:

I am in no way suggesting Toyota cars are unreliable I am sure there are many satisfied owners of the MMT gearbox :D

"bjw" - MMT IS available outside Europe.

I am from Israel and here we have it only in MMT , including the 4 doors / corolla ( which made in Japan).

For u mind - I love my mmt gearbox in my Auris.

I am sure this is the future gearbox and it will be improved every year from now.

I'm also sure that Toyota will upgrade this mmt's software so that the change in gear position will be better.

I used this mmt 90% in M MODE - it is better and enjoy it - except the broblem the the gear going down to 1th in corners when the speed is below 18 KM.

"bjm" - do u drive the auris with mmt at-all. ???

"bjw" - MMT IS available outside Europe.

I am from Israel and here we have it only in MMT , including the 4 doors / corolla ( which made in Japan).

For u mind - I love my mmt gearbox in my Auris.

I am sure this is the future gearbox and it will be improved every year from now.

I'm also sure that Toyota will upgrade this mmt's software so that the change in gear position will be better.

I used this mmt 90% in M MODE - it is better and enjoy it - except the broblem the the gear going down to 1th in corners when the speed is below 18 KM.

"bjm" - do u drive the auris with mmt at-all. ???

Yes technically Israel is not in Europe but below is a list of countries that come under Toyota Europe

Toyota across Europe

To find the nearest Toyota dealer select a country from the list below and use the dealer search of your country's website.

Toyota European Sites

Austria

Belgium

Bosnia Herzegovina

Bulgaria

Canary Islands

Croatia

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Eire

Estonia

Finland

France

FYROM, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia

Germany

Gibraltar

Great Britain

Greece

Hungary

Iceland

Israel

Italy

Latvia

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Macedonia Malta

Monaco

Netherlands

Norway

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Russia

Serbia and Montenegro

Slovakia

Slovenia

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Turkey

Ukraine

I am sure you are pleased with your MMT and as you have said I have not driven one but I have read many of the posting which complain about this gearbox and from what I have read there seem to be some unhappy customers !!! I am sure with time Toyota will get this right ( according to parts king the Auris MMT is a very good car)!!!

You have owned your car for 8 months now if I am right ?? I hope your future motoring will be uneventful as is expected in a Toyota

I am sure you are pleased with your MMT and as you have said I have not driven one but I have read many of the posting which complain about this gearbox and from what I have read there seem to be some unhappy customers !!! I am sure with time Toyota will get this right ( according to parts king the Auris MMT is a very good car)!!!

You have owned your car for 8 months now if I am right ?? I hope your future motoring will be uneventful as is expected in a Toyota

Yes, I enjoy the Auris since May 2007 and drove it for about 10000 KM all over our beautiful country.

If you " I have not driven one but I have read many" - I am confuse from your's negative posts about the mmt gearbox !!!

If you don't have it and you have not driven one - So why you attack the mmt so hard ???

• 9 months later...

Sorry Auris 2008, I think you've got this one wrong, I do own one, and I have driven it, for 8 months, and it gets no better, it is not equipped for country lanes, hills and dead policemen, and it is certainly no match for my last avensis in traffic, on a motorway it is superb, but motorways are a bit rarer down here in the sticks, I am awaiting the day when I get rear ended on a roundabout, it will happen.