Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Head Gasket

fiz-vvti

hi, i think me head gasket on the 140 vvti is gone, its blowing out too much white smoke at the back,

does any one know

if its a simple job of just taking the head off ( if so i should be able to do it myself)

or does it need all the timing tensioning, if so looks like i'll have to send her to the garage

hmmm, cars cars cars, u bring them up like ur own, then they go do something silly like this

thanks in advance peeps

fiz over and out

Are you asking if you can take the cylinder head off without removing the cam belt? The answer is no, you will have to take the cam belt off and obviously retension when you replace it.

if you are not asking that then sorry not sure what you mean

Ooooooh if it's a Gen7 1ZZ it's one hell of a lot more complicated.

You need the chain cover off the front of the engine for a start. Engine mounts through that so you have to unmount the front of the engine to do the job. After that it's a case of removing all the timing gear at the front of the engine before removing the head. Ok if you know how to do it. A whatsit if you don't

Replacing the cylinder head gasket sounds like a scary task to me. Are you blowing white smoke all the time, or is it only when the engine is cold... I'm lead to believe white smoke for the first 5-10 miles (especially on these cold winters days) is quite normal. If there is white smoke all the time, then it would seem like you're burning coolant which would point to something like a head gasket. Are you sure it isn't grey smoke, which can indicate a rich mixture?

Do you have a white sludgy residue on the underneath of your oil filler cap? This can sometimes be symtomatic of water and coolant mixing in with the oil. I cut the Engine - Cylinder Head section from the Big Green Book, which is attached, hopefully this might prove useful...

engine_cylinder_head.pdf

thanks guys, i'm going to have to part with a few quid, dam it.

it was parked up for ages after a prang, now that i've got all the body work sorted and all other bits and bobs, i noticed a bit too much smoke out the back, also i have a very minor leak from the water bottle.

i'm not happy, skint as it is, but its pay day tomorrow so in it goes.

thanks for ur replys guys, u saved me from making a big mistake... trying it myself.

thanks guys, i'm going to have to part with a few quid, dam it.

it was parked up for ages after a prang, now that i've got all the body work sorted and all other bits and bobs, i noticed a bit too much smoke out the back, also i have a very minor leak from the water bottle.

i'm not happy, skint as it is, but its pay day tomorrow so in it goes.

thanks for ur replys guys, u saved me from making a big mistake... trying it myself.

lol.. def good idea not to try this.

without the right tool you would not be able to get the chain back on and to the correct tension! (if you could even get it off in the first place!)

Do you have other HG symptoms? i.e. can you be sure that's the problem, and not something else such as a the 140's oval cylinder issue? Would be a shame to replace the HG and find that wasn't the problem. What year is your car?

I'd get a garage to diagnose it thoroughly just in case, particularly if it's a pre-facelift. And if you have full service history then you may find you can get the work done under warranty.

its a 2000 reg, dont have full service history, it might be going into th garage tomorrow, it will def be diognostic tested, spoke to my mates friend, he said it it could be the gasket or maybe something else

the issue, when i rev it, it chucks out alot of white smoke, the temp needle after 5 mins goes to hot, but the actual water is still cold.

i'm confused.

def wont try to be a mechanic, think i'll stick to being a cop