Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stereo Has Just Stopped Working - Why?

Subjective Effect

Hi everyone.

I drive a: 1997 P Reg TOYOTA Corolla 1.3 Sportif Hatchback

with a: Pioneer DEH-2900MP CD Player

I got it last year with 45,000 miles on the clock and one previous owner. I'm more than pleased with it and it handles like a dream on the motorway for a 1.3.

But the stereo has suddenly stopped working and I've no idea why.

I used it one evening, pulled in at home and the next morning there is no sound. The player itself seems to be working - the display is all appropriate to radio or CD but there is just no sound, no hissing, no white noise, nothing.

I've checked all my fuses (I think) and they seem to be fine. The digital clock works fine and the manual says that it's on the same circuit as the CD player. Unfortunately I don't have the CD player removal tool as it was fitted by the dealership and although I have the (not useful at the moment) manual I don't have the tool.

I thought it might just be a loose connection. Anyone else got any ideas?

The first thing I would check is the connections on the back of the radio, make sure the wiring is right, no broken / unplugged wires, no shorts. If all that is good, the next thing I would do is contact Pioneer. In basic terms if the unit has power but 0 sound is going through to the Speakers, not even electric distortion at high volume setting, then there is problem with the connection going to all of the Speakers. Where the problem is at the wire harness adapter and back (inside the unit) because anything else would not affect all Speakers simultaneously. As for a tool, you can get by without one if you get a little creative and start looking at how the unit is secured in the dash, may have to remove sections of the dash in order to get it out and if you don't feel confident doing that, let a pro do it. Or, bite the bullet, run down to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc, Shell out apx 100$ - 400$+ and have a brand new unit installed. Yours might be repairable but is it worth repairing is all up to you. You can probably find that specific model for under $100 now brand new.

The first thing I would check is the connections on the back of the radio, make sure the wiring is right, no broken / unplugged wires, no shorts. If all that is good, the next thing I would do is contact Pioneer. In basic terms if the unit has power but 0 sound is going through to the speakers, not even electric distortion at high volume setting, then there is problem with the connection going to all of the speakers. Where the problem is at the wire harness adapter and back (inside the unit) because anything else would not affect all speakers simultaneously. As for a tool, you can get by without one if you get a little creative and start looking at how the unit is secured in the dash, may have to remove sections of the dash in order to get it out and if you don't feel confident doing that, let a pro do it. Or, bite the bullet, run down to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc, shell out apx 100$ - 400$+ and have a brand new unit installed. Yours might be repairable but is it worth repairing is all up to you. You can probably find that specific model for under $100 now brand new.

It is a long way from Leeds to Florida :lol::lol: ;)

What a shame we have a "Throw away society"

I have the (not useful at the moment) manual

See page 14 re Sound Muting.

Do you have a phone kit or Sat Nav connected?

If so, that could be sending a mute signal incorrectly?

If not, perhaps there was one there before and it wasn't removed properly?

[EDIT]PS, I have stock radio cassette for a 1996 Sportif somewhere. Was keeping it to go back in the Rolla, but now that's totalled I'll be selling it for a few notes. Also will be getting the car back next week and will remove a very good Kenwood Head unit + 6 disk multi-changer from it. That may go in the next car but more likely will be up for sale soon if you're interested. It sounds amazing in the Rolla even with stock Speakers.[/EDIT]

As your car is 2 years out from mine you probably wont need a removal tool as it might just be bolted in.

To get at mine I have to pull out my middle air vents (the bits that direct the air) then that whole unit has 2 clips (must come down DONT push them up) and then that unit will come out, (might have to uplug the hazzard lights button if so)

Then you will clearly see 2 10mm bolts up into the unit holding the whole radio unit (and the bit of the dashboard thats raised) and the radio is held into this bit of dash with it's own bracket, so all you need is fingers and a 10mm ratchet (and an extention)

THATS if and only if it's the same fitting as mine.. hope this helps you if it is, and sorry if this is useless

INFACT I have just found the right thing on this forum searching google

CLICK HERE FOR MANUAL

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links