Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help To A Newbie -celica 1991 4ws Convertible, Radio Probs And Anyone

Booyaka

Hi, Am new to the Celica world, just bought a Celica 91 Convertible, So far so good, needs a bit of cosmetic work but for £700 i think i got a steal!

Anyhow, i have no documentation for the motor, its a Japanese import - could anybody point me in the right direction to find anything?

Also does anyone know the speaker wiring for the radio i.e. colours to which speaker etc? Their is an after market stereo fitted to other Speakers but i want to find out where the other Speakers are etc and which cable goes to what.

My Celica is manual but aswell as the the four wheel steer button it has a sport button two....what actually happens when i press this? (apart from obviously go faster...haha)

Hi, Am new to the Celica world, just bought a Celica 91 Convertible, So far so good, needs a bit of cosmetic work but for £700 i think i got a steal!

Anyhow, i have no documentation for the motor, its a Japanese import - could anybody point me in the right direction to find anything?

Also does anyone know the speaker wiring for the radio i.e. colours to which speaker etc? Their is an after market stereo fitted to other speakers but i want to find out where the other speakers are etc and which cable goes to what.

My Celica is manual but aswell as the the four wheel steer button it has a sport button two....what actually happens when i press this? (apart from obviously go faster...haha)

Hi,

I bought (and still have) a 1991 celica convertible (Black) import back in Oct 07. :D It had loadsa problems, most of which (luckily) I was aware of and have spent bucketloads on it since! Careful, because things on the '91s, especially the convertibles, differ from what you would hope. :huh:

4ws is only available on imports so repairs are difficult to get done and can be expensive. (haven't done any repairs on this bit yet so don't like to think how expensive).

A radiator replacement is only available from Toyota, even though all the factors etc. will try to make you believe different, it is expensive.

The power hood was fitted in California (so the story goes, but I can't speak or read/write Nippon to confirm this), after the basics were put together in Japan. The cars were then shipped back to Japan and finished. Most if not all were fitted with different rear lights in 1991, Leather seats etc. the rear convertible one being different to the 3 door hardtops, 4ws, electric mrrors, electric windows, Air conditioning, mostly automatic boxes (probably because they were built with the Yank market in mind). Different sun visors, Horrible wheels, and mostly the same nice and high revving, 2000cc GTi twin cam engine with 112 mph restrictors on as fitted to a lot of other Models, freely available secondhand and very (comparitively) cheaply.

The sport button doesn't make it go faster, the original idea is that it may go quicker around the twisty bits? I think it refers to the 4ws and is the one located next to the reverse 4ws button. Hopefully someone will tell you if I'm wrong.

There is a power button which will make it hang on a little longer in the gears, (if yours is an auto).

I wouldn't change mine apart from if my wife tells me I've gotta, of course, cos I love most things about it and it's fun.

S**T the solenoid has just got lazy and only works when it wants to, apart from first thing in the morning when it works every time, just can't do any quick get aways during the rest of the day. :(

S**T some white van ASDA driver just whacked in the back and kept going and pushed me into the Fiat in front at a traffic jam, says he was day dreaming!!!!! Luckily hardly any damage to mine or the Fiat. Mercedes van was well stoved in at the front with loadsa BITS left lying in the road, weak as s**t these German cars aren't they.

Mike

Cheers Mike, your stories made me laugh. Yes i can imagine shelling lots of money out sooner or later....great little motor though, i didn't want to love it but i'm slowly falling for it....ask me though when its broken down!

All the best

• 4 weeks later...

:D Hi again. :D

Well in a bid to solve the intermittent start/dead as a dodo problem I decided to have the alarm/imobiliser looked at..........they, after replacing the dodgy Italian alarm system (some previous idiot had fitted) which included an imobiliser and removing the second imobiliser, probably fitted by another previous idiot who didn't realise it already had one. Or perhaps the other way around, who knows? I then found out that the starter solenoid was faulty, doh!

After quick strip down and clean up, it merrily starts all day every day now, including the quick getaways (touch wood). These are now slightly thwarted by a gorgeous, all singing all dancing, nice and loud and extremely Bl**dy pricey, Thatcham latest full alarm/imobiliser though. Still you can't have everything.

My fantastic wife is now confused though because there are 3 buttons on the fob, one shows a locked padlock, one shows an unlocked padlock and one says panic! "Which one do I press to get in the car?" she says, when she phones from Tesco's car park in a noisy panic! :unsure:

Asda, say that through their fleet management co. they are going to do all the repairs to make it immaculate again!!!!!! Wow they're even going to valet the outside! :rolleyes: