15 replies to this topic

#1 linjohn

linjohn

• Registered Member
  • 8 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2002 rav4 d4d gx

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

Hi Members,
I'm new here so thought I would see what responce I get. I have a 2002 D4D 5 door that when you put your foot down at just over 50 mph there is a pronounced viration through the seats and in your ear, if you let off the gas it goes and when you reach 60mph its gone. There is no vibration in the gear stick. A mechanic has test driven it and examined underneath and can only find a slight difference in the play from one rear drive shaft and the other. Has anyone come across this before? I would be grateful for any ideas.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts
  • First Name:Don
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: RAV 4 SR 2.2 D4D 150 in Decuma Grey and Daihatsu Sirion 2008 with Yaris mechanics.
  • Year: 2012

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:55 PM

Welcome to the club.

It sounds obvious but if it only occurs at that road speed and definitely not that engine speed through the intermediate gears, I would start by getting the wheels balanced.

Has the problem developed over a period of time or has it appeared since any work has been done?

#3 bothwell_buyer

bothwell_buyer

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter
  • 7,895 posts
  • First Name:Ian
  • Toyota Model: RAV4s, MR2s
  • Year: 1994

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:52 AM

Another possibility is the parts of the drive train which rotate relating to the speed you are doing. So once you are sure of the wheel balance, things like bearings can be checked...for example I had problems with the centre prop bearing. What mileage has the car done?

#4 linjohn

linjohn

• Registered Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:34 PM

Welcome to the club.

It sounds obvious but if it only occurs at that road speed and definitely not that engine speed through the intermediate gears, I would start by getting the wheels balanced.

Has the problem developed over a period of time or has it appeared since any work has been done?

Thanks fpr the reply. The vib is only there when trying to accelerate through that speed if, I let off the pedal or let the the clutch in there is no problem, so I assumed that it was not a tyre balance problem. The only work I have had done recently is an MOT!!!.

#5 linjohn

linjohn

• Registered Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

Another possibility is the parts of the drive train which rotate relating to the speed you are doing. So once you are sure of the wheel balance, things like bearings can be checked...for example I had problems with the centre prop bearing. What mileage has the car done?

Thanks for your reply. The wheels were balanced about 3K miles ago when all the tyres were replaced. I have only noticed the vib in the last 2-300 miles The Rav has done 37K.

#6 bothwell_buyer

bothwell_buyer

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter
  • 7,895 posts
  • First Name:Ian
  • Toyota Model: RAV4s, MR2s
  • Year: 1994

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for your reply. The wheels were balanced about 3K miles ago when all the tyres were replaced. I have only noticed the vib in the last 2-300 miles The Rav has done 37K.

Doesn't sound like wheel balance then unless you've bumped up a kerb or bent something by accident. Tyres do settle a bit but seems unlikely that the balance would be so bad unless a weight has fallen off, which does happen.
Given the low mileage, I can't see a bearing being at fault.

I'd maybe go back to the garage who enjoyed your money for the new tyres and ask them if they could check the balancing?

#7 Mc Tavish

Mc Tavish

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2010 4.3 Rav4 XTR 2.2 D4D

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:16 PM

Hi linjohn ive had a similar problem but i would agree with other posts that the tyre thing would probably be the first and cheapest option to start with. I had major probs with wheel balancing which caused various symptoms such as vibration through chassis which appeared to be intermittent ,but due to the open tyre tread and different road surfaces all seemed to be a factor in this. Check with garage that they didn't rotate your tyres front to back at MOT ? Also if your not getting vibrtion through steering wheel try balancing rears. i done all this and still have a very small vibration at just a smidge over 55 but ive started to look for it and now just get on with it, was also advised that Toyo's seem to be worse than Bridgestones also make sure that the garage you use get their balancing machines serviced!!!

#8 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts
  • First Name:Don
  • Toyota Model: RAV 4 SR 2.2 D4D 150 in Decuma Grey and Daihatsu Sirion 2008 with Yaris mechanics.
  • Year: 2012

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:50 PM

I think it wise to start with the balancing. These large rolling radius tyres are likely to amplify any run out/imbalance.

#9 linjohn

linjohn

• Registered Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:09 PM

I think it wise to start with the balancing. These large rolling radius tyres are likely to amplify any run out/imbalance.

thanks anchorman. I'll get all the wheels rebalanced and try again

#10 linjohn

linjohn

• Registered Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

Hi linjohn ive had a similar problem but i would agree with other posts that the tyre thing would probably be the first and cheapest option to start with. I had major probs with wheel balancing which caused various symptoms such as vibration through chassis which appeared to be intermittent ,but due to the open tyre tread and different road surfaces all seemed to be a factor in this. Check with garage that they didn't rotate your tyres front to back at MOT ? Also if your not getting vibrtion through steering wheel try balancing rears. i done all this and still have a very small vibration at just a smidge over 55 but ive started to look for it and now just get on with it, was also advised that Toyo's seem to be worse than Bridgestones also make sure that the garage you use get their balancing machines serviced!!!

Thanks Mc Tavish. I will try your's and the others idea and start wih the balancing.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users