Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Vibration

linjohn

Hi Members,

I'm new here so thought I would see what responce I get. I have a 2002 D4D 5 door that when you put your foot down at just over 50 mph there is a pronounced viration through the seats and in your ear, if you let off the gas it goes and when you reach 60mph its gone. There is no vibration in the gear stick. A mechanic has test driven it and examined underneath and can only find a slight difference in the play from one rear drive shaft and the other. Has anyone come across this before? I would be grateful for any ideas.

Welcome to the club.

It sounds obvious but if it only occurs at that road speed and definitely not that engine speed through the intermediate gears, I would start by getting the wheels balanced.

Has the problem developed over a period of time or has it appeared since any work has been done?

Another possibility is the parts of the drive train which rotate relating to the speed you are doing. So once you are sure of the wheel balance, things like bearings can be checked...for example I had problems with the centre prop bearing. What mileage has the car done?

Welcome to the club.

It sounds obvious but if it only occurs at that road speed and definitely not that engine speed through the intermediate gears, I would start by getting the wheels balanced.

Has the problem developed over a period of time or has it appeared since any work has been done?

Thanks fpr the reply. The vib is only there when trying to accelerate through that speed if, I let off the pedal or let the the clutch in there is no problem, so I assumed that it was not a tyre balance problem. The only work I have had done recently is an MOT!!!.

Another possibility is the parts of the drive train which rotate relating to the speed you are doing. So once you are sure of the wheel balance, things like bearings can be checked...for example I had problems with the centre prop bearing. What mileage has the car done?

Thanks for your reply. The wheels were balanced about 3K miles ago when all the tyres were replaced. I have only noticed the vib in the last 2-300 miles The Rav has done 37K.

Thanks for your reply. The wheels were balanced about 3K miles ago when all the tyres were replaced. I have only noticed the vib in the last 2-300 miles The Rav has done 37K.

Doesn't sound like wheel balance then unless you've bumped up a kerb or bent something by accident. Tyres do settle a bit but seems unlikely that the balance would be so bad unless a weight has fallen off, which does happen.

Given the low mileage, I can't see a bearing being at fault.

I'd maybe go back to the garage who enjoyed your money for the new tyres and ask them if they could check the balancing?

Hi linjohn ive had a similar problem but i would agree with other posts that the tyre thing would probably be the first and cheapest option to start with. I had major probs with wheel balancing which caused various symptoms such as vibration through chassis which appeared to be intermittent ,but due to the open tyre tread and different road surfaces all seemed to be a factor in this. Check with garage that they didn't rotate your tyres front to back at MOT ? Also if your not getting vibrtion through steering wheel try balancing rears. i done all this and still have a very small vibration at just a smidge over 55 but ive started to look for it and now just get on with it, was also advised that Toyo's seem to be worse than Bridgestones also make sure that the garage you use get their balancing machines serviced!!!

I think it wise to start with the balancing. These large rolling radius tyres are likely to amplify any run out/imbalance.

I think it wise to start with the balancing. These large rolling radius tyres are likely to amplify any run out/imbalance.

thanks anchorman. I'll get all the wheels rebalanced and try again

Hi linjohn ive had a similar problem but i would agree with other posts that the tyre thing would probably be the first and cheapest option to start with. I had major probs with wheel balancing which caused various symptoms such as vibration through chassis which appeared to be intermittent ,but due to the open tyre tread and different road surfaces all seemed to be a factor in this. Check with garage that they didn't rotate your tyres front to back at MOT ? Also if your not getting vibrtion through steering wheel try balancing rears. i done all this and still have a very small vibration at just a smidge over 55 but ive started to look for it and now just get on with it, was also advised that Toyo's seem to be worse than Bridgestones also make sure that the garage you use get their balancing machines serviced!!!

Thanks Mc Tavish. I will try your's and the others idea and start wih the balancing.

Well Thats done. Had all wheels re-balanced and still vibration/drone is there when I put my foot down at about 50mph. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Well Thats done. Had all wheels re-balanced and still vibration/drone is there when I put my foot down at about 50mph. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Wot a bgr!! At least that eliminated the obvious.

You could try a garage where they can lift the car off, remove wheels and run the engine/gearbox up to 50 to watch the bearings and propshaft. Its looking like something which is linked to the speed which means things on the final drive.

Was it mentioned above about the exhaust manifold cover? That can do funny things if its loose.

Can't think of anything else just now as the sun is shining and there's a party outside!!

You could try a garage where they can lift the car off, remove wheels and run the engine/gearbox up to 50 to watch the bearings and propshaft. Its looking like something which is linked to the speed which means things on the final drive.

Was it mentioned above about the exhaust manifold cover? That can do funny things if its loose.

Can't think of anything else just now as the sun is shining and there's a party outside!!

Thanks Man, I guess I'll go down the drive/prop/shaft/bearing route. I may be some time........................... but I'll get back with an update

Thanks Man, I guess I'll go down the drive/prop/shaft/bearing route. I may be some time........................... but I'll get back with an update

Shame your so far away from Glasgow - we could have taken a look!

• 3 weeks later...

Shame your so far away from Glasgow - we could have taken a look!

Well had another indi garage test drive it with me and when I mention the famous DMF problem he said it could be that, so off to the big Toyota garage I did go. They 95% think its the DMF as it can go between my mileage 38K and 60K Priced me up at approx £1900 for DMF and clutch. My local indi that services the Rav has priced me up at £1140 for the same job. As both carry just a 12 month warranty I think I'll be going for the last one. Thanks for all your and others suggestions and support, I'll let you Know the outcome

Regards

In case your garage doesn't know, LUK do a DMF and flywheel kit for about £595.

LUK were the OE supplier.

• 11 years later...

what was the outcome of this please as I have a Toyota Rav 4 2007 doing the exact same thing - abut 55mph there is a vibration - tyers ok, just had centre prop shaft bearing done and still there but better. Had all of the engine mounts replace and the gearbox mount replaced and still there mildly.. Had the flywheel and clutch replaced approx 2 years ago.... .

So the vibration starts at 55MPH - does it then stop / improve as speed rises? Is it purely related to road speed i.e. does the vibration start at 55MPH irrespective of which gear is engaged? You say that the tyres are OK - have they all been balanced recently and checked for runout in two planes? Have you tried rotating the tyres diagonally?

Hi Guys.

I would just like to point out this thread was started in early 2008 so the owner may well not have his car anymore.

Regards, Mike.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2008 at 1:39 PM, linjohn said:

...The wheels were balanced about 3K miles ago when all the tyres were replaced....

It is not unknown for balance weights to fall off.

• 5 months later...

I ave exactly the same problem with a 2013 RAV diesel.Tyres were balanced and clutch and DMF replaced at a huge cost. Problem remains i.e. engine vibration between 2000 and 3000 rpm when acceelerating