Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Weird Occurance - Care Wouldn't Start, Then It Would!

Subjective Effect

My car wouldn't start last night.

Its an automatic 1997 P Reg TOYOTA Corolla 1.3 Sportif Hatchback,

It seemed like Battery was dead - it just wouldn't turn over. I kept trying and the longer I left it the more progress the sound of turning over made until I eventually got it to start. Weird thing is on the first attempt it really was dead. The only electrical thing "on" was the rear screen heater but that's not like leaving your lights on is it?

What's the explanation for this bizarreness?

My car wouldn't start last night.

Its an automatic 1997 P Reg TOYOTA Corolla 1.3 Sportif Hatchback,

It seemed like battery was dead - it just wouldn't turn over. I kept trying and the longer I left it the more progress the sound of turning over made until I eventually got it to start. Weird thing is on the first attempt it really was dead. The only electrical thing "on" was the rear screen heater but that's not like leaving your lights on is it?

What's the explanation for this bizarreness?

The rear screen heater takes a lot of current although it is usually controlled through the ignition (Can only be on when the ignition is switched on)

Have you checked that your Battery terminals are clean and tight and is your gear selector in the correct place for starting?

Tighten your Battery terminals properly once my electrics wouldnt start neither would the car tottaly dead it was as though the car had died. Then after a bit it started ...then stopped then started. got home looked at the batt terminal it was loose tightened it hard both positive and negative and it worked fine.

^ What he said.

Though not entirely sure whether you're saying it did turn over when you turned the key, or didn't.

Our Sportif had an issue a few months ago whereby turning the key simply resulted in a click, but no turning over. I checked Battery terminals but no joy.

It would sometimes start first time, and sometimes take 2 or 3 turns of the key to get it to turn over. Once it did turn it always started immediately, just as it always has from new.

Eventually diagnosed to worn contacts on the starter motor. Had these changed and it was then as good as new.

What I mean is it started to turn over I guess. Turning the key made the electrics kick in but it never reached the "I'm starting to spark up a combustion here" stage. Iyswim.

It seems to be working fine again now, and can I just say that for a 10 year old car it's a pleasure to drive :)

I'll check the connections when I can. Thanks everyone.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links