Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso Sr

R110RR

Morning all

I am a little new here. I am moving from a Subaru STi 7 to a Verso a little bit of a culture shock but two children create a need for more space.

I have been to see the dealer about a new Verso SR Diesel - he is giving me £9.5k for the Scooby ( about right ) but is a little reluctant to give me much discount on the Verso - how hard can I push him what have other people paid?

Morning all

I am a little new here. I am moving from a Subaru STi 7 to a Verso a little bit of a culture shock but two children create a need for more space.

I have been to see the dealer about a new Verso SR Diesel - he is giving me £9.5k for the Scooby ( about right ) but is a little reluctant to give me much discount on the Verso - how hard can I push him what have other people paid?

Welcome to TOC

I am sure that with a little negotiation you and the dealer should soon be able to come to an amicable agreement.

Buying a Toyota should not really be about "screwing the dealer", but a mutually benificial agreement where you both are satisfied with the deal.

It may be that you will not get much discount on the new vehicle (You have been offered a good trade in on your Scooby........they do not hold their prices well on the second hand market) , but you may be able to negotiate some "extras"....(Carpets, mudflaps,tank full of fuel, servicing package etc.)

What you come away with is really down to your powers of negotiation....................but please do not approach the negotiations with the thought of "how much can I screw him for", or you may well be dissapointed.

The point is you don't normally get what you want in part ex AND a discount off new, dealers have a margin to work to, they will over allow on your part ex or give you a discount off new, rarely both! The SR models are selling like hot cakes and your dealer may well give you some extras as Red Yaris 54 says but he is unlikely to give away the car because he can sell it tomorrow without discounting it, the old supply and demand game I'm afraid.

Kingo :thumbsup:

Its always the cost to change that matters as Parts king has said you cannot expect to get top trade in price and discounted price as well .

The car broker which I used ( Carfile) are selling the Toyota Verso 2.2 D-4D SR 5dr for £16,819.28 !!! All the transaction was done through a dealer they took my trade in and gave me what I had been offered elsewhere and no cash was paid until collection of the vehicle

I think the key is to establish exactly how much your car is worth in the trade you need to go round some dealers including non Toyota's and find out what they are offering.

I would also point out unless your vehicle is a model that is in demand and being a non Toyota he will just move it on to the trade .

A formula which i have used in the past is to find out what vehicle is worth in the trade and then find what price an car broker will sell you the car for then deduct to the trade in price off the car broker price to get a cost to change !! I then go to a dealer and say I will do a deal today if you will meet this price I have been offered !!! it seems to concentrate there minds ( but you have to serious that you will do the deal) you may get some dealers who go red and say I cant get anywhere near that price so you then just try another also any offers that are available such as 0% finance will be available as well

I hope you do not think I am telling you how to suck eggs

If you have a look at the link below What Car say the target price is £ 17167 I have always found it was possible to beat there target price

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-equipm...56&ED=53941

Red Yaris

Maybe !Removed! the dealer was the wrong expression but please do base your posts on fact Subarus depreciate (according to and old Which report) at about 66% in a three year period which is very similar to the Toyota. Given my Scooby is 5 years old and I paid £23k for it I should not be complaining about a £9.5k trade in

However I do respect that you are also trying to keep the quality of posts up - believe me as a mod over here I know its hard and I promise to pick my words better next time.

Parts King and BJW

Thank you for your sound advice - I came away today with a Toyota Corolla Verso SR Diesel in black on order (3 week delivery) with £700 discount, interest free credit on the difference between my car and the final deal, free mats etc etc...

I even (dont tell anyone in the Subaru world) enjoyed a test drive.

Red Yaris

Maybe screwing the dealer was the wrong expression but please do base your posts on fact Subarus depreciate (according to and old Which report) at about 66% in a three year period which is very similar to the Toyota. Given my Scooby is 5 years old and I paid £23k for it I should not be complaining about a £9.5k trade in

I think that you got a very fair trade in for your 5 year old Scooby, but as Parts King has said you really cannot expect a good trade in and a heavy discount.

The Which report that you quote is rather old and does not reflect the current state of the second hand car market in my opinion. (Things have changed at an alarming pace in the last 3 years) ............I see that in the medium car group the Toyota Corolla depreciates at only 62% over 3 years wheras the Subaru is 66%

My comments about Subaru depreciation was not meant as a personal criticism but was based on the fact that 5 year old Subaru's do not generally fetch as much as you were offered, as at 5 years the high performance and "spirited" driving of many of them has taken its toll with the potential for costly repair work on the horizon.

I hope that you enjoy your new Corolla Verso and that it suits the needs of your family :thumbsup:

I am pleased you are happy with the deal you got that is the main thing

This thing about depreciation and what percentage it is worth after 3 years is I think a lot of nonsense as an example if

A BMW cost new £20,000 and retains 50% of its value after 3 years it is worth £10,000 the deprecation is £10,000 !!

A Toyota Avensis cost new £15,000 and retains 33% of its value its worth round about £5,000 the deprecation is £10,000 ( I know its not exact but round about)

So what really is the difference unless it matters to you that you are driving a BMW if you take the point

It is up to you to achieve the best deal you can when you trade in to minimise the effects of deprecation !!! no dealer will sell a car at a loss unless its to his advantage

I suggest red Yaris does not feel too sorry for the dealers as they are capable of looking after themselves.

I suggest red Yaris does not feel too sorry for the dealers as they are capable of looking themselves.

Indeed :yes: ;)

I suggest red Yaris does not feel too sorry for the dealers as they are capable of looking after themselves.

We are ;)

We are ;)

Don't take it personally Kingo I am sure your dealership are a pleasure to do business with as many Toyota dealers are !!!

I would say Toyota dealers are the best there are and in fact the only reason I keep buying Toyota's is because the dealer I use and who I have used for about 20 years now are top notch

But whatever business you are in they are going to try to get the best price for there product the shareholders will demand that

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links