Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disable Alarm

Guest AdminManager

Guest AdminManager

Hi, the alarm on my 1.4 GS has started going off for no reason and I have to keep disconnecting the Battery to make it stop. I've been told it needs a new sensor but this will cost £120 and, as I am going to sell the car in the next 6 months, I don't want to do this. How do I disable the alarm myself? Any help much appreciated.

Hi, the alarm on my 1.4 GS has started going off for no reason and I have to keep disconnecting the battery to make it stop. I've been told it needs a new sensor but this will cost £120 and, as I am going to sell the car in the next 6 months, I don't want to do this. How do I disable the alarm myself? Any help much appreciated.

Some Toyota alarms are disabled by pressing the lock button twice instead of once. You didn't say what year your car is, so not sure if that will be the case with yours or not.

Failing that :shock: £120 for a sensor? Bonnet sensor is most likely culprit, and probably about £1.50 to buy. To check, disconnect it then see what happens if you either earth the wire that was going to the sensor, or else leave it disconnected. If it was the bonnet sensor then that should sort it (but you bonnet will be unprotected). Alternatively, door contacts only about £10 or £15 and I have a couple of second hand ones I could sell you for a few quid.

Guest AdminManager
Hi, the alarm on my 1.4 GS has started going off for no reason and I have to keep disconnecting the battery to make it stop. I've been told it needs a new sensor but this will cost £120 and, as I am going to sell the car in the next 6 months, I don't want to do this. How do I disable the alarm myself? Any help much appreciated.

Some Toyota alarms are disabled by pressing the lock button twice instead of once. You didn't say what year your car is, so not sure if that will be the case with yours or not.

Failing that :shock: £120 for a sensor? Bonnet sensor is most likely culprit, and probably about £1.50 to buy. To check, disconnect it then see what happens if you either earth the wire that was going to the sensor, or else leave it disconnected. If it was the bonnet sensor then that should sort it (but you bonnet will be unprotected). Alternatively, door contacts only about £10 or £15 and I have a couple of second hand ones I could sell you for a few quid.

Where would I find the bonnet sensor? When I now lock the doors, something under the bonnet beeps half a dozen times or more. which it didn't used to do, before the dealer got hold of it.

Where would I find the bonnet sensor? When I now lock the doors, something under the bonnet beeps half a dozen times or more. which it didn't used to do, before the dealer got hold of it.

That's the alarm warning you that it thinks something isn't quite right. E.g. it thinks a door, bonnet, boot is open or there is some other fault.

Bonnet sensor usually a little black button that you can press down easily with your finger just inside the front edge of the bonnet; it gets pushed down by that edge of the bonnet when the bonnet closes.

The door sensors are similar (but have little telescopic rubber boots over them). These also control the interior light, so if your interior light works OK on both doors then it's probably not a door sensor. Boot can be more complex as often built into the locking mech.

HTH If not I'll post some pics later on.

Guest AdminManager

That's the alarm warning you that it thinks something isn't quite right. E.g. it thinks a door, bonnet, boot is open or there is some other fault.

Bonnet sensor usually a little black button that you can press down easily with your finger just inside the front edge of the bonnet; it gets pushed down by that edge of the bonnet when the bonnet closes.

The door sensors are similar (but have little telescopic rubber boots over them). These also control the interior light, so if your interior light works OK on both doors then it's probably not a door sensor. Boot can be more complex as often built into the locking mech.

HTH If not I'll post some pics later on.

Hi, just been down to check but I'll need the pics - I can't find what you mean. Car is V reg by the way. There is a black rubber block at the edge, and it looks as if there should be one on the opposite side as well, but there is just a hole where it should go. When I let the bonnet slam, the beeps happened again and I tried pressing the lock button twice on my key, but it just kept going.

Hi, just been down to check but I'll need the pics - I can't find what you mean. Car is V reg by the way. There is a black rubber block at the edge, and it looks as if there should be one on the opposite side as well, but there is just a hole where it should go. When I let the bonnet slam, the beeps happened again and I tried pressing the lock button twice on my key, but it just kept going.

Yes, the bonnet should sit on a rubber stop at either side; the fact that one is missing may possibly have caused the problem (if it is your bonnet sensor).

Shame the double click didn't help. I'll get pics later for you.

Meanwhile, has anyone else any ideas on how to disable this alarm. Some cars of that era had a special key that disabled the alarm on the alarm unit; I don't know if the Rolla was one of them.

Incidentally AdminManager; this is a Toyota standard fit alarm, or is it an aftermarket one? If that latter do you know what make / model etc?

Guest AdminManager

Yes, the bonnet should sit on a rubber stop at either side; the fact that one is missing may possibly have caused the problem (if it is your bonnet sensor).

Shame the double click didn't help. I'll get pics later for you.

Meanwhile, has anyone else any ideas on how to disable this alarm. Some cars of that era had a special key that disabled the alarm on the alarm unit; I don't know if the Rolla was one of them.

Incidentally AdminManager; this is a Toyota standard fit alarm, or is it an aftermarket one? If that latter do you know what make / model etc?

It's the original Toyota one.

Bonnet sensor; best I could do I'm afraid. This is an aftermarket one on a MkII MR2.

MR2-Engine-Bay-Alarm-Sensor.jpg

Should give you an idea of what you're looking for.

But has anyone got a pic of the sensor for a standard Corolla?