Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whats It Worth?

Starlet 1986

I have just been given a Starlet (Red), registered 31/08/1986, the car had one previous owner, it has been garaged all it's life, it has been serviced at the same Toyota Garage every year up until 2005 when it was last used. I have full history and many old tax discs. The car has averaged about 300 miles per year, the body work is almost perfect, except for a scratch on passenger door which I don't know if it is worth sorting out, being garage all the time has help maintain its deep red colour.

I put a new Battery on it, it worked first time, took it back to garage for full service and MOT, passed with no extra work required.

I would like to get an idea of what it's value is?

Do people collect these?

Would Toyota be interested in it?

Should I let my 18 year old daughter use it to learn to drive and where is the best insurance deals for a young learner driver?

It may be worth asking Toyota, though they probably get similar offers quite often. And they may be more interested in something that has very high mileage but is still in good condition.

Not everyone values a low mileage car unfortunately, because no matter how well it has been looked after it's an old car and won't be as good the equivalent car of today.

That said, the Starlet has some attributes that today's small cars don't have, and is from an era when Toyota's quality was amazing. Too many corners cut these days in the quest for faster and cheaper production.

Part of me is thinking yes, let her learn to drive in it; it's the perfect car for a new driver. And part of me thinks you should either keep the miles down on that and keep it perfect or else sell it.

Nearest I've seen to your car recently was a 1986 Rolla with 35K on it - FTSH and 1 elderly owner. That's on offer for 2K though it'll probably fetch more like £1,750 I would guess - compared to the book price of about £1000.

It may be worth asking Toyota, though they probably get similar offers quite often. And they may be more interested in something that has very high mileage but is still in good condition.

Not everyone values a low mileage car unfortunately, because no matter how well it has been looked after it's an old car and won't be as good the equivalent car of today.

That said, the Starlet has some attributes that today's small cars don't have, and is from an era when Toyota's quality was amazing. Too many corners cut these days in the quest for faster and cheaper production.

Part of me is thinking yes, let her learn to drive in it; it's the perfect car for a new driver. And part of me thinks you should either keep the miles down on that and keep it perfect or else sell it.

Nearest I've seen to your car recently was a 1986 Rolla with 35K on it - FTSH and 1 elderly owner. That's on offer for 2K though it'll probably fetch more like £1,750 I would guess - compared to the book price of about £1000.

Thank you very much for the response, it is much appreciated as I have no experience in what to do in this kind of situation

If it was me, i wouldnt give the daughter it, its clearly been looked after and will be worth a lot of money to someone! If your in no rush to sell, put it up on Auto trader/Pistonheads etc, Mayb e a dedicated Owners Club & see what kind of offers you get. You could try Toyota, see what they say, i guess anything is worth a shot :)

My 2p's worth :)

I wish I had been given one, I adore the mk1 starlets and think that they can be very very fun!

I wouldnt give it to a learner though as there is the risk of damage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links