Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Economy!

BenN74

Hi,

I think that it may be correct that the 'supermarket diesel' isnt quite as good.

I usually get around 120miles from 20litres.

I put 20 litres in from esso and it did 150miles, granted some of this was out of town, driving to skipton, so I would expect it to be higher, but that is a big increase.

I have now tried a ful tank, 50lts, from BP and I'll see if I get much more than the 360miles Mr Morribogs diesel gave me for 50litres previously.

I am amazed with the difference in economy from town driving to motorway driving aswell, my car at the moment registers around 38/39mpg on my sat nav when driving round town, I filled her up this evening and went to pick my Ma up, which involved a trip of about 15miles, probably 50/50 M'way and town roads, but it was late, 11pm, when I arrived it was reading, 49mpg!! Quite an increase I think. If I'd took a longer trip down the M'way I bet it would have gone higher aswell.

I have always filled up with Texaco because it's round the corner but hella expensive...115.9 last Fri, £66 in the tank!

MPG Average 47-51...mainly motorway although if it's fairly empty I have a bad habit of sticking dead on 85...if I brought it down to officer-friendly limits am sure would be laughing even more with the economy...at the mo 460-500 from the tank...ever noticed how the needle doesn't move for the first 100 miles and then goes gently to the halfway for bout 230's and then...WHUMPF! Orange Light City! Although it comes on way too early, easy do another 40+ miles on that :thumbsup:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BenN74

• Mrdoody

• JohnYossarian

• TeyaDog

So far I am finding Sainsbury's bog standard City diesel performs as good if not smoother and quieter than Tesco or even premium

Total Excellium that claims to be 37% quieter than standard.

Apparently premium petrol cars benefit most (like Supburu WRX) with rolling road test and cars built for economy have no improvement at all. There has been no rolling road tests on premium diesel.

:o Avansis T180 D4D

Sunday last, drove from home to Lichfield, through Swadlincote and Burton.

Zero'd the ave mpg at home and set off.

By the time I reached Lichfield on the A38, ave mpg was between 51.2 and 52.4 mpg !! :o

Combination of town and dual carriageway driving, at no more than 60 mph.

This proves that good mpg figures can be obtained under the right conditions, however, usually in daily grind to and from work I get ave mpg of about 37 to 38 mpg which is exactly what it says in the brochures for urban cycle mpg.

Cheers

Adyone

Hi

I have just been down to London and back via Oxford for a 4 day break. I filled up as I left, traveled 595 miles and it was informing me that I still had 21 miles available when I arrived back home. Fuel light had just come on. Use Shell all the time. 13,000 mls on the clock. Very satisfied.

My mpg reading on the sat nav is way off for some reason, I keep a track manualy, and it allways gives a mpg over what I actually get, for example, last sunday I filled up with 50 litres, and with a roughly 50/50 mix of inner city and M'way driving I got 430 miles from orange light to orange light, my sat nav reports I achieved 40mpg+, but by my calculations that is less than 40mpg, am I working it out wrong?>

BTW I was quite pleased with the 430 miles I got from 50loitres of BP diesel, I only got 360 from Morrisons, but that was exclusively inner city short trips, so that's probably why.

I have a new job starting 21st which will involve M'way both ways, so I should get a much higher mpg for my fuel, but all in all I will use more diesel. Free parking in Leeds centre tho so I can't complain!

All in all I started this thread cause I was worried my mpg was way too low, but I've now realised it's about average, and your reading depends massively on your tyoe of driving mainly, M'way or inner city, and not much else affects it I think!

I am now happy with my performance, just seem to have a 1st gear glitch now, seems to be trying to jump out!!

• 3 weeks later...

W reg avensis 2.0 TD the old type not d4d, 160k miles on the clock

600 miles to a full tank really nursing it, or 530 miles if im hammering it up and down the dual carriage way, knocking about town ect

I have a vv-it 2.0 53 spirit, full tank £61.00 to the brim and beyond.. and get approx 300miles for this? comp states 25.6mpg the most its gone up to is 26.7mpg , i am a little heavy on the pedal from time to time and it is a semi auto? and i am a taxi driver so a lot of stop starting? but 25mpg is SH*T...

I have Avensis 03 D4-D T3-X and I usually do 46-48 mpg mixed driving (almost 50:50). When doing motorway only the figure would go slightly above 50 mpg. I am using fully synthetic oil (they say it helps economy but I do not have any experimental proof for that) and I refuse to push to the floor even when around the town.

As I got it (second hand) back in October 2007 I hope that in the summer when the choke is not ON for that long the economy could further improve. I have also recently replaced the glow plugs (with Mr. Toyota) and I think this might also help the situation.

Anyone with the new 2.0 D4-D engine (since 2006) that alegedly should make 51 mpg that can confirm this?

Cheers.

Avensis 2.0 D4D T Spirit on an 05 plate here - trip computer says average 45mpg on my daily commute which involves average speeds of 40mph for 30mins each way. Like you, I drive 'conservatively' and refuse to accelerate hard etc. Why drive like an idiot when you can glide along like royalty! ;)

I took a trip from the East Sussex coast to Birmingham recently, mainly motorway, and recall the trip computer reporting in excess of 50mpg - I recall it 'cos I was suitably impressed - lest we not forget the Avensis is not a lightweight car, so that's pretty good.

• 2 months later...

ben ,

120k on my t-spirit and computer reads from 51 to 55 mpg mostly.

get normally about 465 miles to a full tank.Different fuel stations make a big difference,stopped using cut price places as the mpg trip dropped to mid 40s after a few miles and lost about 80 miles to a tank.so cheaper fuel was exactly that.

cheers

mostly duel carrigway but towns dont seem to affect it much.i drive it hard to which doent seem to matter to mpg.

On totally full tank of petrol, I just did 361.6 miles and I have half tank of petrol left, not sure how that translates into MPG, 98% of it is dual carriageways and single carriageway.

my car is a Toyota Avensis SE 1.8 1999 V reg

I've got a '54' 2.0 D4-D T-Spirit 5-dr with 40k on the clock. Only had it a month but MPG on computer was showing 49.7MPG which I thought was ludicrously high so I just checked it. Brim to brim it cost me £66 for 50.5L which is 11.1 gallons and trip meter showed 530 miles. That works out at 47.6MPG across the tankful. So computer not that far out and car looking to be far more economical than you chaps. Not gloating... just letting you know not all D4-Ds are that thirsty. Mixture of motorway 70% and city streets 30% but the motorway bit is either booting it at 80-90 or standstill sat in traffic queues. Not really into sitting at 56mph to eek out the mpg. So I'm pretty chuffed with this result.

• 1 month later...

Well,

I got a 2.0L D4D T2 Tourer. I am getting the same fuel consumption (average 45+/-mpg) as Doctor Jeccles as for motorway getting around 55+/-mpg.

Is that normal???

Avensis driver for 3 weeks

I've an 06 avensis d4-d t3-x and currently get 47mpg with mainly short journeys and around 55mph, although the trip computer said 53mpg

Wow,

I'm getting no-where near some of the figures listed above, specially treyadog's 400+ miles!

I'm gonna fill my tank up 2mora and I'll report back aswell on the results, probably take me a few weeks to a month to go through a full tank though (I Hope)

So to the second part of my question, can anybody recommend anything to improve my fuel ecomony (except altering my driving style) does redex help? Or is it just a con? My avensis has done 103,000 miles so I presume that's mostly the reason my fuel economy is down, I suspect treyadog's 55 plate has much less miles on the clock!

Any advice welcome.

And if anybody else wants to note their average miles it would be useful for us all to have something to gauge our mpg against I think!

Let's see who's getting the most, and the least?

Hi, Im also driving a D4D Avensis T.Spirit. Have it 2 years plus, a 2004 hatch.

It now has 80000 done and MPG IS EXCEPTIONAL.

As you know the computer re-sets every time one refuels and i concentrate on my average per tank rather than part off.

After filling up and taking a 80 mile trip which i do regulary, no motorways, i can be sure to be showing an average of 60+ on the trip. This is with a loaded car ie, 2 x 15 stone adults , a 15 hp outboard and boot full of fishing gear.

My tip to you would be to KEEP THE MOMENTORY DISPLAY ON AT ALL TIMES and refrain from changing up to soon as very often cruising at the slower 30-40 speeds in 3rd or 4th is seen to be more economical due to no pull on the engine.

Most of my driving is a fair mix with an average of approx 45-47 MPG. Hope this helps.Eugene

Wow,

I'm getting no-where near some of the figures listed above, specially treyadog's 400+ miles!

I'm gonna fill my tank up 2mora and I'll report back aswell on the results, probably take me a few weeks to a month to go through a full tank though (I Hope)

So to the second part of my question, can anybody recommend anything to improve my fuel ecomony (except altering my driving style) does redex help? Or is it just a con? My avensis has done 103,000 miles so I presume that's mostly the reason my fuel economy is down, I suspect treyadog's 55 plate has much less miles on the clock!

Any advice welcome.

And if anybody else wants to note their average miles it would be useful for us all to have something to gauge our mpg against I think!

Let's see who's getting the most, and the least?

Hi, Im also driving a D4D Avensis T.Spirit. Have it 2 years plus, a 2004 hatch.

It now has 80000 done and MPG IS EXCEPTIONAL.

As you know the computer re-sets every time one refuels and i concentrate on my average per tank rather than part off.

After filling up and taking a 80 mile trip which i do regulary, no motorways, i can be sure to be showing an average of 60+ on the trip. This is with a loaded car ie, 2 x 15 stone adults , a 15 hp outboard and boot full of fishing gear.

My tip to you would be to KEEP THE MOMENTORY DISPLAY ON AT ALL TIMES and refrain from changing up to soon as very often cruising at the slower 30-40 speeds in 3rd or 4th is seen to be more economical due to no pull on the engine.

Most of my driving is a fair mix with an average of approx 45-47 MPG. Hope this helps.Eugene

Should have added :CHECK YOUR TYRE PRESSURES AND AIR FILTER . Eugene

Hi,

I own 2 Avensis's, 1998 2.0TD 170,000+ miles (which I used to use as a taxi and the missus now drives) and a 2005 D4D 2.0 (my current taxi). I use A LOT of fuel and have tried everything (including installing a tuning box) to increase my MPG.

I've read a few of the previous posts and definitly where you get your fuel makes a big difference. Supermarket fuel is rubbish - you'd be better running your car on heating oil. Possibly with the exception of Sainsbury's City Diesel which i've found to be very good. (Just forget about Tesco's!!) My personal recommendation is either BP diesel or Maxol's 5% Biodiesel. These are possibly a few pence more per gallon than the supermarket diesel but well worth it in the long run for the life of your engine. If possible try to stick to the same filling station for a few fill ups and see if using the same grade of diesel makes an improvement.

You've mentioned Redex diesel additive - which personally i've found doesn't work but do try either Millers Diesel power plus or Lucas Fuel Treatment & upper cylinder lubricant. I use a combination of both - a good dose of the Lucas once a month or so and a shot of millers every time i fill up. The Lucas apparantly burns hot so dissolves any deposits in your fuel injection system and the Millers acts as an excellent fuel pump lubricant. I've known taxi drivers whose fuel pump has been on the way out and the lubrication qualities of the millers has actually kept the car running for weeks until they can source another pump. This should after a few weeks show a marked improvement in you MPG (and extra BHP - which doesn't hurt!!)

If you want to take this even further add a bottle of Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer the next time you get your car serviced and oil changed. This stuff is like syrup and coats all the internal parts of your engine. This eliminates 'dry' starts as your engine is already lubricated before it starts to pump oil from the sump. The MPG on my 2005 Avensis always dropped by about 1-2 mpg when i first turned it on, which i put down to dry starts - the oil additive has all but eliminated this. It now drops by around .1! This oil additive actually prolongs the life and quality of your oil and because there is obviously less friction in your engine, there is less wear and tear.

I know i probably sound like a lucas salesman (i'm not - honest) but believe me - i've used enough of these products and driven enough miles to know that they work. My first Avensis has over 170000 miles on it, took abuse as a taxi and is still running like new car - as well as getting 400+ miles from a tank in town driving (it's a 2.0TD remember and not as efficient as a D4D). Any half decent motor factors should sell the millers & lucas products and if you really have trouble getting them then 'google' them and you'll find a stockist.

Anyway hope this helps.

Dee

mine is a 2.0 vvti. recently i have noticed a sharp drop in fuel economy, absolutely clueless as to what it could be. Im getting 250 miles from £70. thats 70% town driving. the car is low mileage fully serviced so am baffled ............

oh, and i drive like a librarian ;)

I'm in a 55 plate low milage 2.0 vti auto and I'm getting between 400 and 450 miles per £60.00 depending on the amount of m/way miles. (also known as 'featherfoot')

1998 1.8 petrol (lean burn, non vvti) with 140,000 miles on clock doing around the 40mpg mark. I've never run it dry, but when I get to about 450 miles from a full tank I know I need to find a petrol station before the warning light comes on. I think the most I've ever dared to go down to I got to about 475miles before I chickened out and filled up.

For some of the discrepencies with what the car says and what you get on pen and paper it may be that the trip computer is giving mileage in UK gallons and you are working out in US gallons. Make sure you use the correct conversion from litres to Gallons (multiply your litres by 0.22 to convert to imperial gallons, but 0.26 for US gallons which are smaller so will naturally give less mpg). I was getting worried when I was getting 35mpg until I realised I was working out my mpg for US gallons after which it went back to a more acceptable 40mpg.