Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Idling Rpm On 2006 Corolla

orange_ted

Hi,

I've just bought a 2006 Corolla (1.6 VVT-i SR) and have a question about how it should idle when started from cold...

This morning (slight frost) it seemed to start off idling at about 1200rpm, whilst I scraped the ice off, with the revs reducing over the first few minutes of it running.

On warmer days this week it has started off idling at about 1800rpm and has stayed there for several minutes. Trying to drive slowly whilst it's revving that high is a bit unnerving as, in first or second gear (it's a manual!), it will keep accelerating when I take my feet off the pedals. I realise the revs will be a bit high whilst the choke is on but, given that the hot idling speed is about 600rpm, I wouldn't expect the cold idling speed to be more than about 1000rpm.

I've has a quick word with the dealer about it - they said about the revs being higher when it's first cold and didn't seem too convinced that there is a problem. The car is going back to them for a check over after I've done 500 miles, so I'll discuss it further with them then, but in the meantime can anyone give me an idea about the speed that their Corolla idles at from cold?

Thanks!

I've a 05 1.6 T-Spirit. Mine has always started off idling from cold at around 1500 - 1600 rpm and then gradually tails off to around 800 - 900 rpm. It's never been any different. I have often wondered whether the warm idle speed is a little fast but I don't actually know and never felt the need to raise it with the dealer. The other thing is that my E12 is an automatic (which gearbox I love incidentally) and I guess the idling speed/range may be different in that case to a manual.

It would be really useful if someone knowledgeable here could say what the accepted idle range is for the E12 1.6 Corolla - if he happens to come across this thread, maybe Moonstone Mart will know ;)

I've also got a 2006 1.6 SR and the idling speed is the same when first started in the cold. I found it a little odd to start with, but now I've had the car for almost 18 months I'm just use to it. There are some other threads on this forum about it, I was looking it up myself when I first got the car, and it seems to be the norm. I believe it's something to do with emissions, but could be wrong!

Hope you enjoy the car, are you blue, silver or grey?!

Iv a t sport and it does exactly the same thing, 1600rpm from a cold start, 850-900 when warm,so may be it just the way Toyota do things,warm the engine up quicker to improve the emissions. I was concerned my self when i first got it, but lads on here said their car was the same so got used to it now

It's not uncommon for cars to idle at under 200 revs when just started up, even in warm or cold temps. It's to do with the lamda (spelling?) sensor I believe. If the car start idling over 2000 revs, then there might be a prob.

My Celica idles between 1200 - 1600 revs on cold starts and I've seen it hit 1400 revs on a warm start before. Nothing to worry about!

Okay, thanks for all your advice - sounds like I'll have to get used to it!

Juler - it's a silver, I didn't realize they made the SRs in the Azure (?) blue until I'd looked on this forum. I'm certainly pleased with it so far!

Juler - it's a silver, I didn't realize they made the SRs in the Azure (?) blue until I'd looked on this forum. I'm certainly pleased with it so far!

Close...Balearic Blue. Its picture time! (any excuse :lol: )

03022007041.jpg

Do you have any pics of yours?