Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Got Any Experience With The K&n-filter?

Norwegian

I've got one on my Celica. What is it that you'd like to know?

Well,

• Does the cone offer any advantage against the panel?
  • Does the cars enginesound change in any way?
  • Do you really get an performance boost?

I have had the cone in both my MR2 and my Celica and engine sounds lush....a deep throaty roar, that turns heads (for all the right reasons)

And no performance boost imo or if there is it is minimal.

Stuff like filters, exhausts etc are quite often designed fro particular engine. If you change anything you need to know what are you doing or at least use dedicated components (no one fits all from Halfords ;) ) If you got it wrong you may see degradation in performance. If you get filter right you may get up to 2 % increase (but that depends on other factors as well).

Good luck with that :thumbsup:

From what I know the cone filter offers the roar & some power increase (minor-acceleration increase). However a downside is that it will get dirty quicker.

A panel filter will give some increase in power(about 1bhp) also. It does not however, give the roar. That is unless you remove the small hose that operates the flap within your airbox (remember to put a screw in the end of the hose). This stops to car closing the flap (this is a silencer for the engine noise) as your engine revs higher/speeds up. This gives half roar and some power increase! This is what I've done to my Celica

If you are able to, you can remove the flap box (that's if it comes in a box, as it does on my Celica), this will give you full roar & more power equal to a cone but keeping the filter cleaner for longer. I did do this to my car, but I thought it was too loud & wanted to save more fuel I do a lot of miles.

I can tell the difference in response between, no airbox alteration(with K&N filter), hose diconnecting (half roar) & flap removal (full roar). The difference between half & full roar is equal or just under the difference between, half roar and no alteration.

If you don't fancy removing the airbox to fit a cone, get the panel filter & just disconnect the small flap hose!

Thanks for the tip edwardio.

Will disconnecting the small flap hose harm the engine or effect the guaranty of the car?

No, as it's just there to reduce the noise the engine makes when sucking in air at higher revs. If you fitted an induction kit, you'd have to remove the flap anyway. No harm will come to the engine.

You'll notice a little more fuel useage but you'll notice more response at the same time.

Do you need any extended knowledge about motors in generel to perform this task? Have any pictures btw?

No sorry I don't have any pics.

It's easy to do. I don't know what your airbox looks like, so I'll describe how I did it on my Celica.

1) Remove the lid of the airbox by uncliping all the spring hooks.

2) At the front end of the airbox you will find a plastic block, this 1 complete unit made up of 2 parts. 1 part will be a hole for air to flow constantly. The 2nd part is a larger hole with a plastic flap inside. The will have a controlling arm attached, which extends into the top of this unit. On the top is a dome which will have a thin hose (approx 1/2 inch in diameter) attached to it.

3) Disconnect the thin gose, making sure to insert a screw or something similar. (Whatever you insert in the hose must fill the end so that nothing will get in it.

4) Refit the lid of the airbox.

%) Fire up the engine, give her some revs and hear that roar!

How about diesel engines?

Any kind of air filter modification is able to give more power or sound(in a good way)?

How about diesel engines?

Any kind of air filter modification is able to give more power or sound(in a good way)?

More air will not increase diesel performance because there is more than enough air going in, apparently. There are also reports increasing the air reduces performance. Reputable tuning chips are the only way to increase performance as far as I know (do not get a resistor in a box with fake cables).

Understand where your peek torque and peek horsepower are will also help you overtake much quicker:

1.4 D-4D 1,364cc chain-cam 4-cylinder diesel:

90PS @ 3,800rpm; 190Nm torque @ 1,800 – 3,000rpm

2.0 D-4D 130 1,998cc chain-cam 4-cylinder diesel:

126PS @ 3,600rpm; 300Nm torque @ 2,000 – 2,800rpm

2.2 D-4D 180 2,231cc chain-cam 4-cylinder diesel:

177PS @ 3,600rpm; 400Nm torque @ 2,000 – 2,600rpm

1.4 VVT-I 1,398cc chain-cam 4-cylinder petrol:

97PS @ 6,000rpm; 130Nm torque @ 4,400rpm

1.6 Dual VVT-I 1,598cc chain-cam 4 cylinder petrol:

124PS @ 6,000rpm; 157Nm torque @ 5,200rpm

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links